HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:44 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
CM Rudder Aileron Mixing Question

Just put together my new Crazy Max and Iím looking forward to flying it. However, I canít seem to figure out the Rudder Aileron mixing function on my HiTec Flash 5. This is my first plane with Ailerons.

I have the following:

Ch 1 Aileron (Single Servo)
Ch 2 Elevator
Ch 3 Throttle
Ch 4 Rudder

I followed the directions in my Tx manual, and turned on Rudder Aileron mixing, however when turning plane from right to left and left to right, using the Ailerons the rudder only moves one direction. Left if the rate is set below 0 and right (rev) if the rate is set above 0. For example, if I turn right, the rudder also turns right, but when turning left, the rudder does not move. It looks as if the radio is assuming Iím using two servos for my Ailerons, which Iím not.

Any ideas?
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2002, 01:15 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
A few questions first, why are you coupling the rudder to the ailerons anyway. This is a flat wing, so the rudder isn't going to help much in the turns.

I know its your first aileron plane, but I think for learning it would be better to just fly it with the ailerons by themselves. Turn the rates down so its not too Crazy, then just fly it. To keep from over controlling it, you may want to consider dialing in some Exponential (I think the Flash 5 has it)

If you do, do this, when programming the radio, it may be like my 8UAF, where you can automatically change the movement for one direction, then to get the other side of it, you have to hold the stick to that side.

Example: Setting up the ATV's on Rudder. When I scroll to that screen, I adjust the control travel for a right turn. Then to adjust for left turns, I have to hold left stick while I dial it in.

Does this help at all.

If It doesn't I'd be happy to give you a call and try to explain it in person.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2002, 07:08 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
>>A few questions first, why are you coupling the rudder to the ailerons anyway. This is a flat wing, so the rudder isn't going to help much in the turns. <<

I don't know, that's why I'm asking for advise here. Should I? I guess my question would be why does the CM hook a rudder up to a servo if you don't use it?

>>I know its your first aileron plane, but I think for learning it would be better to just fly it with the ailerons by themselves. Turn the rates down so its not too Crazy, then just fly it. To keep from over controlling it, you may want to consider dialing in some Exponential (I think the Flash 5 has it)<<

Perhaps you're right. I did dial-in Exponential. I have a few wings and they are much easier to fly with Expo.

>>If you do, do this, when programming the radio, it may be like my 8UAF, where you can automatically change the movement for one direction, then to get the other side of it, you have to hold the stick to that side.

Example: Setting up the ATV's on Rudder. When I scroll to that screen, I adjust the control travel for a right turn. Then to adjust for left turns, I have to hold left stick while I dial it in.<<

I'll give that a shot, but it sounds like it's not an issue if I should not be using my rudder in flight.

>>Does this help at all. <<

It does. Thanks!!

>>If It doesn't I'd be happy to give you a call and try to explain it in person.<<

Use the phone? Let's hope it does not come to that. :-) Any additional thoughts you have would be great.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 07:55 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
You have everything plugged in right.

I see no reason to mix rudder / aileron. Just shut off the mixing, and manually use the rudder.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 18, 2002, 09:39 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper Pilot
You have everything plugged in right.

I see no reason to mix rudder / aileron. Just shut off the mixing, and manually use the rudder.

VP
When would I use the rudder?
Old Apr 18, 2002, 01:16 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
With this type of plane, coordinating the rudder isn't necessary. Basically you will be using the rudder for take off, and for performing certain aerobatics such as a snap roll, or spins.

On fun fly aircraft, I use the rudder when hovering, and I used it to make really flat turns without dropping a wing when I'm flying at minimum power. (.40 size slimer fun fly)

Rudder will be used for Knife edge as well.

Basically don't mix them. It may cause more problems.

--Paul
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2002, 01:56 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Okay, mix is off. I'll report back after the crash. :-)
Old Apr 18, 2002, 03:03 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HavingFun2002
Okay, mix is off. I'll report back after the crash. :-)
It worked out all right, didn't it? Do you ROG or toss???

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 18, 2002, 03:05 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper Pilot

It worked out all right, didn't it? Do you ROG or toss???

VP
I'm going to ROG then toss.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 04:52 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,673 Posts
Hi,
Rudder/aileron mix is usually used on scale models, biplanes in particular, when you sometimes need it to co-ordinate the turns in a scale like manner. Like everyone else has said, for a normal sport model you shouldn't need it.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 18, 2002, 08:16 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
on the flash 5 you have to set the rate for both directions! push the rudder stick one way then the other while you are in the mixing screen one way will have a reading say +50 or something the other direction will have either nothing or a very low number (this is the direction it does not turn) hold the stick in that direction and use the add rate button to increase the throw, make sure it is moving the rudder in the right direction because you can put + and _ rates in this screen
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Apr 18, 2002, 08:28 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I tried mixing 25% rudder to aileron on my Flash 5 for my CrazyMax. I didn't ask first, and didn't know any better. And it doesn't seem to have caused any problems. Later turned it down to 10% and then off and can't really tell any difference.

The main reason I tried it was 'cause the radio had it and I wanted to see what it would do. Same with the flaperons and spoilerons. They are very effective. I've only experimented at altitude with them but the spoilerons make it glide (and loop) better and the flaperons make it drop like a rock. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to fly well enough to actually incorperate this stuff into my landings and aerobatics.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:27 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Well, I took the new CM to the field today, with mixing off. Good thing, when I got back to the house I realized that the rudder was reversed.

The plane flies great, one of the best climbers that Iíve flown. With the ailerons, this thing flies like my FMA Razor, you have to have a light touch. I set Expo and DR low, at least until I get use to this thing. However, I turned it back up and had no problem on my 3rd flight. I did not do much acrobatics, however, other than some quick turns and dives.

Here is the kicker. On my 5th flight, I took a turn too fast and too low. Heading for the ground I backed way off of the throttle and pulled up. However, went right into the ground. Not too bad, a dent in the wing, broken motor mount, and that plastic stuff between the wing and the fuselage crushed a bit. I few minutes with 5 min epoxy and my CM is ready for action tomorrow. At the same time I taped the wings and fuselage like I did the my Mini Max, should fare better with ďrough landings.Ē

I still canít get my rudder to mix in both directions with my HiTec Flash 5. If anyone knows how to do this drop me a note, need a step-by-step. I read the directions for a 3rd time, I think Iím doing everything right. I would like to try the CM with mixing on, after seeing some of these posts.
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:24 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
I have already posted how to fix this, it is above read it I promise this is your problem
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Apr 19, 2002, 12:51 PM
HobbyKing
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
Flaperons are great for fun flys, for coming in really slow into the wind. Another setup I like is Elevator to flap mixing. This makes for fast take offs, tighter loops, and I can bring my planes in at a very steep glide angle.

Basically the elevator goes up and the flaps go down. (and vice versa) I don't know if the Flash 5 has that ability though.

Glad to hear that your flights were successful. Take it slowly and practice your aerobatics up a little higher so you have time to recover, and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you want to tax you skills, try doing a rolling circle, its not as easy as you might think.
(fly in a circle, rolling the entire time)

--Paul
Site Sponsor