HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:52 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
Composite Arf Impact - F3a & 3d Build & Flight Log

OK, after 4 days of credit card processing difficulties, composite arf finally accepted my card. This means, I should have a white & red Impact with the electric option in my hands within the week.

I was thinking about a color scheme and as a design minimalist, I was thinking about getting some vinyl stickers made in a tribal pattern (like tribal tattoos). I am gonna look for an Illustrator or EPS file in this pattern. I'll just edit the file to the dimensions of the plane and get that printed. Not too much or too think a pattern so I don't think the weigh will be more than an ounce or so.

I plan to use micro balloons and 30 minute epoxy exclusively throughout the entire build. Fortunately there's another build in this group where I've been able to get many ideas which will help me in mine.

I already have a pristine 3" spinner which I hope will work as they call for a 3 1/2 " spinner.

I recently lost a Funtana 140 where a guy (Gas Bronco Twin) coming up on me (my plane) from behind flew straight through my plane turning it to confetti falling from the sky. I had just taken off and made a couple knife edged passes, then a little hover attempt in front of the runway, a couple of the most beautiful snaps ever and then I heard his plane moving fast so I started flying the pattern like the other trainers and him. I had made 2 laps when he flew through me from behind.

Though most of my friends who were watching said it was his fault, when I tried to get money from him many other people yelled it was both our faults. That got me so angry, it wasn't the business of these other people and I was clearly not flying 3D or unpredictably and he could not avoid me, that's his fault. When a plane fly’s fast, it's the responsibility of the faster traffic to negotiate the slower traffic (that's a basic racing or speed principle). In racing taking evasive maneuvers when getting passed is how you cause an accident. Because all these other riff raff joined in against me, my friends were quiet and I got not a penny from him. Most of these other people only heard the noise and saw his pile of an airplane and felt they could chime in and assume we were both guilty for flying in the first place. That really gets me and when I fly now, I will make it clear to faster traffic who they need to avoid.

If you are not a competent pilot able to avoid other planes and traffic, don't fly so fast as to encounter this situation in the first place! If you do so, don't encounter it with me or you will encounter a close encounter of another kind!!!

Pictured is part 1 of this Impact Build, Recovering LiPoly packs damaged in the loss of the above-mentioned Funtana 140. The first pack of each pack was crushed in with the nose of the airplane. Fortunately they didn't light up! I am gonna take the remains of these 3 packs and recover 2 of them requiring only 1 new 3S3P pack be purchased.

I am gonna take the 2 3S3P packs and make 1 4S3P pack out of them removing the lighter gauged charge connection (dummy wire) to 1 of them. I am then taking the old 4S3P pack and removing the first damaged cell creating a 3S3P pack. We'll see if any of these removed damaged packs can be used individually when I'm done? Here's my starting photo of the batteries with the shrink wrap removed.
lebdog is offline Find More Posts by lebdog
Last edited by lebdog; Jun 12, 2005 at 10:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:41 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
Successful Recovery TP LiPo Packs

Well, I just did some basic soldering and shrink wrapping. Knowing the potential for disaster with these batteries, I worked on fairly safe areas and waited a while for a pack to chill out before testing the voltage (but I knew I was only right or wrong already).

The recovery went excellent as the crunched packs were removed. The two 3S3P packs were converted in to a single 4S4P pack which is currently on my charger again (yea). I now have a single 3S3P pack recovered from a 4S4P pack which also charged well again.

As for the 3 crunched 11.1V packs, I will probably use them in some less valuable park flyers. I will cycle them first to make sure they test out ok though. This wasn’t so bad. The total loss in batteries is now only $200+/- (w/shipping). If I had not recovered these packs, the total loss would be $600+/-. This makes for a good evening! If my place doesn’t burn down from these batteries tonight, I’ll call it a great day! See the pictures of the recovery below.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 04:33 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
good luck with the packs. not to kill your dream, but be weary of your packs. watch them carefully.

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:28 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
You have every right to be mad at this guy flying the bronco. It was an unfortunate accident. However, trying to recover money from the situation is the wrong thing to do. It sets a dangerous precedent for the rest of us. The accident was nobodys fault, and unfortunately these things do happen. Their was nothing you or he could have done to avoid this. I commend you for flying at a club field and being responsible by having AMA insurance. Imagine had he ran into you and sent your plane careening into the parking lot. It could have been a lot worse.

Their is a mantra I live to kind of keep these things in perspective, and it's helped me in situations like these:

If you're not willing to bring it home in a hefty bag, don't take it out of the car.

Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Jun 13, 2005, 05:30 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
Oh, and I guarantee you, no matter how good a pilot he was, if he wanted to hit your plane, it would have taken him many tries. Try to watch a zagi combat session sometime. It's all statistics.

Josh
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:12 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
This is a build about the COMPOSITE ARF, not a time to discuss who's right or wrong. I posted this information because I'm still heated about it. I know he didn't want to hit my plane, but he was flying over 100Mph and at that speed is responsible for anything in his path. He could have hit me, but I would have moved, my plane was flying 15Mph and couldn't move. That my fault? For simply flying? He was reckless for simply flying that fast at his level of competance.

I just can't see how people like you think there's a fault to share! That's just ridiculous! I am and was consciencious, he was not, he was reckless! I don't want to get in to this further with people who don't understand basic motor sports principles. I am now afraid to fly with them! 3rd parties just push me to violence. If I can't recoup the plane, at least I can beat some sense in to the person for the next time...
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:17 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
R- Have you done this before (repair LiPos)?
You should always be weary of LiPo packs in any condition. The packs were balanced so with that, simply doing surgery is no reason to worry more.
You always charge lipo while watching them already. There's enough paranoia about LiPo out there, but I've been unable to light up a pack of my own.

My friend burned his craft room to the ground, and another burned this car interior away, but that's not a reason to make your own battery packs. Those guys did that by overcharging at the wrong voltages. This is a good thread on the repair of these packs, and as it's a log will prove the validity of the repair over time.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:31 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
I've never repaired a pack.. but I've owned quite a few, and pondered repairing some. I' know your an experienced guy, but a nice friendly reminder is always good.

r
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:06 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
Hi Caleb,

(credit card processing woes)
I understand your frustration, you aren't the first to experience it. You
did have one of the longest waits for it to go through though. Glad it
worked out finally. You should see it before the weekend.

Here's my set-up on my Impact to get you started:

Aileron Low rate: Up- 7/16"
: Down- 1/2"

Aileron High Rate: Up- 15/16"
: Down- 1 1/4"

Elevator Low: Up- 3/8"
: Down- 7/8"

Elevator High: Up- 1 1/16"
: Down- 1 1/4"

Rudder Low: 1 1/2"
High: 2 1/4"
(measured at balance and fin)

CG- Rear of tube -to- 1/2" back

Regards,
Jason
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:12 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
Well, I am sorry I deviated off topic. One thing to note, airplanes are not motor sports. Car guys have a very different mentality than airplane guys.

I'll do my best to make sure I never fly with you. I'd hate to get beaten up over a midair.

Josh
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:01 AM View Post
lebdog
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while lebdog edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:59 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
966 Posts
Since we are a motorsport now, maybe we should have callers stationed around the field and two way head sets.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:27 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
I am killing this post as the level of stupidity has eclipsed anything good I could contribute. Not much good comes out of anger and until I blow off the steam over my loss, I better just leave anything related to that alone. I hope I didn't offend too many people here. So long with so far as this post!