SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2005, 05:14 PM
GeorgeZilla
Spring Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Swollen LiPo 1500Mah Battery.

My battery has swollen by 1/2. I overcharged it. Can I still use it? I trying for maiden flight today.
GeorgeZilla is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeZilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Doesn't sound like a very safe battery at the moment. I wouldn't use it in anything that discharges it at a fast rate. I-m not even sure I would use it in anything in this state. Storing it in a fireproof container and having a look again after a few days might be a better idea. My understanding is that gas formation with these things is indicative of internal overheating which is accompanied by chrystalisation and risk of internal bridging between cathode and anode. I.e. once maltreated they remain unstable and can short out and burn unexpectedly even with no external load.

I-m in the luxurious position of generally having 2 lipo's for every plane. So most likely I-d terminate it and not run any risk.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,601 Posts
No!!! Its junk now and a potential fire hazard.
GPT is online now Find More Posts by GPT
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:53 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
AIUI, you can safe it by putting it in a bucket of salt water and letting it soak overnight. This will inactivate it and make it okay to put in the trash.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Jun 12, 2005, 08:33 PM
GeorgeZilla
Spring Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur P.
Doesn't sound like a very safe battery at the moment. I wouldn't use it in anything that discharges it at a fast rate. I-m not even sure I would use it in anything in this state. Storing it in a fireproof container and having a look again after a few days might be a better idea. My understanding is that gas formation with these things is indicative of internal overheating which is accompanied by chrystalisation and risk of internal bridging between cathode and anode. I.e. once maltreated they remain unstable and can short out and burn unexpectedly even with no external load.

I-m in the luxurious position of generally having 2 lipo's for every plane. So most likely I-d terminate it and not run any risk.
Thank You for the info. The battery is soaking in salt water right now for disposle in the morning.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 08:34 PM
GeorgeZilla
Spring Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aten W Arthog
AIUI, you can safe it by putting it in a bucket of salt water and letting it soak overnight. This will inactivate it and make it okay to put in the trash.
I did as you advised. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 08:34 PM
GeorgeZilla
Spring Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPT
No!!! Its junk now and a potential fire hazard.
It is being prepped for disposal.