HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2002, 05:28 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Yet Another Foamie Conversion

I can't stop!! As much as I hate switching flight packs from plane to plane, I keep getting these...ideas!! I ran across an MRC Ryan STA on eBay, and managed to win the auction. As you can see by the box photo, it has slightly better than 24" WS, and 91 in^2 of area. It is 18" long. How does this compare in size to the Acro Bipe and Cannonshot? I have several Mabuchi 050s, and I was thinking of gearing one about 3 or 4:1 for the 7.8" prop that comes with the Ryan. Then I read in another thread where someone has put a GWS S2 in a similar size plane. I don't want to have a pocket rocket, but I don't want marginal, either. Just something suitable for flying in a small parking lot.
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2002, 02:23 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
cannonshot is 18" ws on the top, 16" on the bottom, ~170 squares I think. auw 6-7oz, so about 5-6oz/ft^2 or so. it's very energetic for something that small. acro bipe is 15" top, 14" bottom I believe. about 70 squares I think.

cannonshot is a totally different animal, even though the span is similar to the acro bipe. if the cannonshot was scaled down to the fuse size of the acro bipe, it would probably be a 12" wingspan. much more chord, really fat wings.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Apr 18, 2002, 03:17 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
That MRC Ryan STA has suspiciously similar specs to the Union Models Ryan STA kit number FP-05. Every measurement (except weight) is identical.

Here is a letter from Geoff Barker to Waynes Indoor World on The Ezone, describing his conversion of the Union Models Ryan STA (it's down towards the bottom of the page). He added another wing to his model, making it into a nice-looking biplane!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Apr 18, 2002, 06:50 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
opualuan/Bruce:

Thanks for your replies and for the link, Bruce. It does appear as if maybe Union has resurrected the MRC kit, doesn't it? I'm hoping it will make a nice flying micro.

Tony
Old Apr 18, 2002, 09:02 AM
New York
Joined Mar 2002
115 Posts
please let us know how it all turns out, i have the sister ship to your ryan, the fairchild, which was also put out by mrc. not until recently had i thought about building it, the r/c config in the plans call for a peewee .020, which to me said that this plane has to fly fast for it to keep up in the air. also the prop that is used for the rubber band power is huge, but the 2 speed gear box that they have you build is quite interesting.
sportwin is offline Find More Posts by sportwin
Old Apr 18, 2002, 09:23 AM
Wayne, NJ
Joined Apr 2001
473 Posts
Nice, I want one! How much are they? At 24 inch you shouldn't need the extra wing, I've got the 20 inch P40 from Hobbico (posted here someplace) flying great with a GWS S2. I'm working on their Zero (21 inch), gonna try that S280 direct.

Mike
Mikerjf is offline Find More Posts by Mikerjf
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:44 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/rya...p__1073114.htm
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Apr 18, 2002, 06:27 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
I really like that guy's biplane conversion in the link Bruce posted. I may do something similar. Original - no; way cool - yes!

Tony