HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Auto Antifreeze/Coolant question-Which type??

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser & the manual says it uses a Special Antifreeze with H.O.A.T. I think that HOAT Antifreeze means that it used "organic" ingredients or something? I needed to add a little antifreeze because the car was a little low so I used some of my standard "Green" Autozone general purpose antifreeze. Are bad things going to happen now? Autozone doesn't seem to have any HOAT stuff, where can you get it? Do I really need it?

- Thanks -

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jun 11, 2005, 07:45 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Well I would guess you could probably find it at the dealership. With big markup of course.

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old Jun 11, 2005, 07:56 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Yes, but do I really need it? Supposedly the Organic (HOAT) stuff will last up to 100,000 Miles (I think I read) but the regular stuff will only last 50,000 Miles. However, since I change my coolant more often than 50,000 miles anyway do I really need the HOAT? Also, If I mix the organic (HOAT specificaly) with regular green antifreeze, what will happen??

-Thanks-

Mike
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:34 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Sorry not sure. The dealer of course will tell you that you should only use thier stuff. If it was a Porsche I would say go with what the dealer uses but with most vehicles I would think aftermarket quality branded stuff is fine. Does Advance or other sell aftermarket stuff that lasts 100k?

Leigh
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:51 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I've been told by my mechanic that I should not be using the standard green Prestone anti-freeze in my all aluminum block Volvo 850T. He further asserts that although Volvo strongly recommends the expensive Euro blue anti freeze approved for Volkswagons, I can in fact use the orange Prestone product for aluminum alloy engined and radiatored domestic cars safely, but i should never mix in the green stuff.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:05 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
found this, might help answer your questions.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...-Glysantin.htm

Leigh
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:55 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Leigh:
Thanks for the link! If I read this correctly, My traditional Green is still compatible with the New "HOAT" stuff, just slightly different additives that will mainly extend the coolant life. (Link Below)

To give it to you straight, DaimlerChrysler (DC) has two production vehicles now using a hybrid organic acid technology coolant (HOAT). This coolantís inhibitor package is slightly different from traditional high-silicated green coolant, enough that itís expected to provide double the service life, but is still compatible with traditional

-Mike-
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:11 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; May 09, 2008 at 08:04 PM.