HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:33 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Built up Balsa wing - Any ideas?

I'd like to build a balsa wing... I guess something similar to the Wing-E, but bigger.

Anyone know of a free plan out there for a built up wing? I'll have a much greater chance at succeeding with this if I have a plan to follow

Thanks,
uproar90
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:47 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Do you have any idea on what airfols it should have ?

If you can do a bit of CAD, you can generate the plans your self.
I have a small wing designed for Balsa. 32 inch span.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:53 PM
Central Illinois
Joined Sep 2002
543 Posts
this is one i built last year from wood, 32"ws, Mega 3T, 10cells. i didnt make any plans, its just scratch built but it might give you some ideas if you do build your own..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=wood+
DaveGherardini is offline Find More Posts by DaveGherardini
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:07 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
I dunno about plans. The hobby shop i work for has the famous "klingberg" wing of old kit that is super nice and has plans, though. its a seriously pretty and nice flying wing.

The kit is $70. I can get it and ship it to you if you can send me the $$ and am interested.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:26 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
indoruet - I've looked over Profili and a few other airfoil programs... I think I could just choose an airfoil, then make it into a tapered wing instead of a straight wing...
Cut out two sets of each rib and start gluing it together...

Thanks for the offer raptor22, but thats a bit steep for me right now...

Thanks for the link Dave... I'll check it out.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:22 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
If you do a tapered wing, layout the rib that goes in the middle somewhere on your workbench in such a manner that the rib is square with your workbench. Then decide the sweep angle of the leading edge. Now decide how "long" the rib should be at the far end of the wing. Now find the "fulcrum" point of the ribs from where they are generated. All ribs "in between" the center rib and the outer rib should now thus be the length as defined by the angles generated by the fulcrum point. The set of ribs can then be generated by Profili, as stated above. The drawings I have, also have a set of supports, that maintain relative position. They are then cut off after you glued it all together right before sheeting or glassing.

The wing I have looks very similar to the one described above.

I have done the Klingberg wing and it was not easy to get it all together in the right positions. Once it is all OK, It is quite a wing, narrow and skinny. As a matter of fact, the Klingberg wing was once built full scale and flew somewhere in So Cal.

HTH.
If you have more questions, PM me.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Last edited by indoruwet; Jun 11, 2005 at 11:39 PM.