SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
When I read the article I only noticed the date at the top, overlooking the date under the writers name. Very strange. Very Twilight Zone. I found the article very interesting because it made the club seem so active and public (maybe it is) but I never see a trace of their activity in my adventures about. I first heard of the club about a year ago. I believe the website was still up at that point because I remember sending an email to the president. If I remember correctly it was a different president than the one listed in the HR News article which I'm guessing is you. The events page on the site was quite out of date so I wasn't surprised when no reply came back from my email. I wasn't offended in any way, it just seemed like the club had petered out. A client recently gave me the number of Dave H who is apparently active with group/former group members but I've yet to give him a call.

So, what is the current state of the club Arthur? I'd like to meet some of you guys/gals. At this point I'm flying a foamie electric warbird on a daily basis and I'm trying my hand a slope soaring. Tons of fun!
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:49 PM
Joined Oct 2009
14 Posts
Hi;
I think your club in Hood River might have a new member by the name of
Daniel Reiss. Is there any way I might be able to get in touch with him? I understand he may have a model for sale I might be interested in.

Thanks very much,
Bart
Band1086 is offline Find More Posts by Band1086
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
I checked out the CGA website. The newsletter I read was very entertaining and funny.

Do you have access to a paved runway in Dallesport? I might be moving there and I want to know where I can fly my EDF jet.

L.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I've never had much luck communicating with these guys via RCG. You might be better served if you contact them from their website. Last I knew their flying field was somewhere up Hwy 35 near Parkdale. I've never been there so don't quote me on that. I haven't heard anything about flying at The Dalles airport but I could be out of the loop on that. I have met people that fly at the "airport" in Goldendale. Apparently the RC planes outnumber the real planes in Goldendale.

We also have a lot of nice slope soaring sites in Hood River, White Salmon, Parkdale, Rowena, Klickitat, The Dalles, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
I can't find any info or contacts on their website. That's why I bumped this thread, hoping someone from the club is still subscribed.

It looks like the field near Parkdale has a grass runway. That won't do for the jet unless it's like a putting green.

I actually started flying r/c with sailplanes more years ago than I want to say. It was kind of a slope/thermal thing in the midwest. I'll have to dust off my old 2 meters and stick some new receivers in there. I can imagine there are some awesome slope sites in the area. Sounds like fun. If I get the job we'll have to hook up, trees.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
There's an email form at the bottom of the club info page and the presidents phone number is at the top of each newsletter.

Something tells me there is nothing resembling a putting green in Parkdale.

There's a guy in Underwood that flies jets. I'll have to find out what his favorite spots are. I think he takes off from the road near his house. I've also heard he flies near the old Luhr Jensen building in Hood River but I'm not sure of the exact strip he uses. I like flying in that area but I can't imagine landing a jet there. Hmmm.

Sweet, lets go sloping!

Have you been to this thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204991
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Flying Jets at The Dalles

Hi Lance,

There is a very good place to fly jets at The Dallesport near The Dalles. It is a part of the Klickitat county business park. The land is leased by a gravel outfit, but we can fly there.

The runway is an informal one, but very well maintained by about 20 guys in the Dalles. It has a smooth covering made from a dryer belt they got from the pulp mill at Washougal. It ought to be long enough, it surly is smooth enough. There is plenty of run out on both the west and east end and the noise isn't going to bother anyone.

I fly my free flight models there as well. The east/west distance is about 1/2 mile as measured by my Toyota Tacoma. The north/south dimension is about 2 miles as measured by Google Maps.

Go through The Dalles and turn onto hwy 197 heading north (leads to Hwy 14). About 2.5 miles is a small cemetery on the right, then a few hundred feet on the right is a dirt road leading to the right. There is a gate with seventy eleven padlocks. A key is on the right post. This road leads to a orchard and a natural gas thing.

Keep to the right both times and you will find the runway and a lot of tables. The tables are private and the boys at the Dalles are real sensitive about that.

Use the weather links on our website http://cgaweb.weebly.com/weather.html This place is only good in east wind conditions which means at the Dalles there is no wind when it is east at Portland. IFP net has the orchards weather station code OVF Dallesport and is about 1/4 mile from the runway.

Sorry about the lack of contact information on the web site. I'll get that up right away.

Arthur
kineticartist is offline Find More Posts by kineticartist
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
Thanks a million for the response Arthur,

For some reason I didn't get alerted to this post. Huh.

This is GREAT news because I was offered and accepted work in Hood River (yes!). Having a proper place to fly my jet will be the icing on the cake. I was bummed about leaving my existing club (Fly-A-Ways) just when we were poised to use our new field. But this makes it ok.

I'll be joining the CGA when I'm settled in there. I like all kinds of flying so I'm looking forward to hanging out with you guys. Floatplanes, sailplanes, jets, indoor, it's all good!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Sounds good Lance.

I'm waiting for news of the club election results to post the new data on our website.

You can go there for current information, or contact me here.

Arthur
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Hey trees, I looked at the photo on the coast you posted on the thread you showed a link to. You said you saw a guy flying there. Was it a dark blue Sophisticated Lady by any chance? I flew my wife's (yeah, she built it!) there over a decade ago. It would be a cool and freaky coincidence if I got you started in this great hobby.

Arthur,

I tried to find that place on Google earth but can't seem to figure out exactly where it is. Kind of hard to find that dryer belt against the brown dirt. Brown dirt sounds so wierd after living in mushroomland for so long. Where is it in relation to the first orchard you come to?

It would appear that it is less than 5 miles to the Dallesport airport. Under (maybe I should whisper this) the AMA limit. Do they fly turbines there or EDF's? I wouldn't want to fly there if that airport is busy. The runway I've been flying at is about 500 feet long and it's too short for comfort for my jet. If I don't land it on the numbers it will coast off the other end. I need to put brakes on it.

L.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:08 PM
Mosier, Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Flying Jets at The Dalles

Well, I couldn't say about flying jets specifically because I have never done it and I don't know of anyone in The Dalles who has. You can see from the enclosed maps where the Dallesport airport is from the flying field. It is about 2 miles away.

The FF Field label the earth map is where I fly free flight models. The area to the right is a very deep pit and you can see the orchard on the far right. The well defined road is used by bee keepers and me.

The yellow pin marks the R/C field. The coordinates are at the bottom of the Google map: N45 38.238 W121 08.849. I don't think the runway is more that 200 feet, but I'd have to check about that.

You can see the gravel pit at the bottom of the Google map. That is the company actually leasing the land. Here is a little description and pictures of that area I put on our web site: [URL="http://cgaweb.weebly.com/free-flight-in-the-gorge.html"]

You might be well advised to call the Dallesport airport and talk to the big deal there, but be sure you have the definition of jet well in hand. I don't think anyone around here has seen one. I saw a jet at the Fern Prairie field and have watched them on Youtube. So if you were to ask if you could fly model jets at the Dalles field east of their airport I don't think they would have any idea what you were talking about.

I'm confident about the noise level not being a problem. In fact at times you would compete with the front loader that comes to the end of the R/C field to dump spent dirt.

Arthur
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
Thanks for the info Arthur,

If the jet you saw was an F-20 and it only rolled about 80 feet before the gear collapsed, that was mine. I have that problem worked out now. But no way can it be landed on a 200 foot runway. Dang.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
I came back to find the info on the strip and realized there was content directed at me I never responded to. In response to the Gentle Lady on the OR coast...that was so long ago I can't really remember what the model looked like. I do remember it was fairly large so it could have been a Gentle Lady. I know it was more like a thermal plane that a sleek high wind slope soarer. I don't really remember the color but I think it may have been white or predominately white. That would be quite the coincidence though.

Did your work bring you to the gorge? If so we should hit the slope sometime.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:47 PM
The Boog
United States, WA, Goldendale
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
TREX For trade

I am new here to the Gorge. Living in Goldendale. Have been down to the airport a few times where there are more rc's than there are full sized aircraft.
I have a trex 450 xl that has been modified,carbon fiber chassis and boom lots of x-copter parts. Model is trimmed and flying. Would love to trade this model for an airplane. Just tired of heli's and want to get back into the hobby. I cannot afford to purchase a new kit as health and unemployment is preventing this. I am interested in anything,electric preferred, a kit would be super cool as I love to build. Call me and let me know.509-773-5720
soboog is offline Find More Posts by soboog