HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2005, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
Question
TREX XL CCPM vs Mechanical mixing?

Hi All,

I am going to be getting a T-rex XL here within a few months.

Everyone seems very excited about the CCPM version, is that because it is definetely superior to the mechanical mixing version, or do both versions have advantages and disadvantages?

If the CCPM version is definetely superior, why did Align bother releasing two versions? why would anyone continue to buy the non-ccpm version with a measly $10-20 price difference?

Apologies if I am being dumb, am I the only one wondering this?
Willard is offline Find More Posts by Willard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2005, 03:49 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
The reason for going eCCPM was less linkages and ligher weight, which are both defeated with Align's design. So to tell you the truth, I don't really forsee any benefit of the eCCPM version. If you haven't setup eCCPM on radios before, the only thing it'll bring you is headaches.

Some will argue eCCPM brings better control precision. But we're talking about a plastic micro heli here, not an all metal F3C ship. I seriously doubt even Mr eCCPM Youngblood himself will notice the difference in this case. I challenge anyone to a blind test, flying a mCCPM and eCCPM 450XL side by side without knowing which is which, to tell the difference in flight characteristics.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
Thanks Steph,

I did wonder about the difficulty in setting up eccpm, as I havent done it before.

Seems to me no two servos are ever going to be entirely identical, so it could be fiddly from the get go if one moves faster or slower than the others.

If like you say the non-ccpm version will be alot easier to set up I think that is the one I will get.

Unless anyone else can shed any further light on the subject.......
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
mechanical (mCCPM) version is definitely easier to setup since you have a servo dedicated to each of the function (ail/elev/pitch), where as in eCCPM the 3 servos have to work together. The good part about that is the load is shared among the 3 servos, bad is the interactions that it can cause like you described.

T-Rex's mechanical setup was copied from Raptor which was copied from Bergen Intrepid. It is considered one of the best mechanical setup.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 10, 2005, 04:55 PM
United States, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined May 2004
141 Posts
One reason to have both eCCPM and mCCPM available is not everyone's radios can be programmed for eCCPM while any heli radio with enough channels can handle mCCPM..
Bubblehead is offline Find More Posts by Bubblehead
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:53 PM
Oz Micro Antenna Maker
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
I suggest that you get the 450XL (HDE) then upgrade to the Align carbon frame with proper eCCPM when it becomes available.
ovaltine is offline Find More Posts by ovaltine
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
Thanks all, thats what I plan on doing,

I want to get it with the align brushless controller with Governor mode, and the align 3600 kv brushless motor, anyone know of anywhere I can get all three, possibly as a combo package which means a bit of a discount?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:09 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
tried www.eflypower.com or www.wattsuprc.com ? i think they have everything you're after.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2004
14 Posts
One of the primary reasons for eCCPM is to take advantage of the combined torque thus increased control provided by the 3 or 4 servos working in unison towards the swashplate.

If you look at other larger and well known precision oriented eCCPM designs, you will rarely find direct servo linkages up to the swashplate. For those with direct linkages, unless the designers took extra care to ensure symmetrical arc travel for aileron and elevator movements around the swashplate, then all of them will suffer from the dreaded interactions problems commonly found in ill conceived eCCPM systems!

Surprisingly though, the Align eCCPM kit with T-cranks, etc... up to the swashplate may actually have less interaction problem than those direct servo linkaged eCCPM kits already on the market.

Without correctly addressing the intricacies of the geometry involved in eCCPM, being lighter is somewhat useless, becasue your interaction problems will only be exascerbated by the additional torque and increased control provided through the combined forces of the servos!

Kwan
mystarzk is offline Find More Posts by mystarzk
Last edited by mystarzk; Jun 10, 2005 at 08:46 PM.