Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:16 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Thanks Bill, I need cowls for my Twinstar I and didn't think I'd find a ready made so I'll start scanning for anything that might work, thanks for the ideas.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Mayhap it is time for a Part II? 1380 replies...!!!
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:13 AM
Sagacious flyer
Singapore
Joined Oct 2005
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Your props are way too big for the Permax 480. The motors are only good for 12A max.

Jürgen
Hmmm, but i have tried other smaller props, it does not fly that way i want it to fly. I always have the impression that spd 480 7.2V can handle upto 20Amp per motor.

Anyway, i am going to try GWS 7035 this weekend.

Thanks
Kelvin
CoolMX is offline Find More Posts by CoolMX
Old Feb 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
Joined Jul 2005
49 Posts
TwinStar landing gear

Hi Jeanseb,
The landing gear is mortised into the plane's belly by using a Dremel tool. I mortised deeper into the center area of the mains so I could glue 2 pieces of wood and 2 screws to secure them. The nose gear is mortised and epoxied in.
RAFaerial is offline Find More Posts by RAFaerial
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:46 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFaerial
Hi Jeanseb,
The landing gear is mortised into the plane's belly by using a Dremel tool. I mortised deeper into the center area of the mains so I could glue 2 pieces of wood and 2 screws to secure them. The nose gear is mortised and epoxied in.
Hey RAFaerial,

Thanks for the pictures! What a clean work!

The paint job is clean too. Did you use a primer to paint your twinstar? What kind of paint did you use?

Thanks,
Jeanseb
Jeanseb is offline Find More Posts by Jeanseb
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2005
49 Posts
Jeanseb,
Yes I did use primer first. I used grey primer that I already had in the shed, but maybe it's a good idea to use a primer made for models and styrofoam. The colors are from Model Masters: olive drab, flat black, yellow, silver, light aircraft grey (for the whole underside) and I used Model Masters flat laquer over the whole plane after the decals were installed to seal and to cover the glossy deacals. Model Masters also has primer.
RAFaerial is offline Find More Posts by RAFaerial
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:19 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,554 Posts
BTW MPX sell a specific primer for Elapor, not sure how easily available it is though.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:42 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Twin 400XT

What ESC has proven successful with the two Esskay 400XT's mounted?
One or two controllers?
Did the Beagle ever fly?

Thanks,
Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:26 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omba
One or two controllers?
Did the Beagle ever fly?

Thanks,
Peter
You would need at least two controllers.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 02, 2006, 01:59 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
What ESC has proven successful with the two Esskay 400XT's mounted? One or two controllers? Did the Beagle ever fly?
Peter, I agree with Jurgen, two controllers is probably the way to go with these motors as there is some reason to think they are not terribly consistent from one motor to the next. My Twinstar is using two Castle Thunderbird 18's. One reason I used these is that they have a software setting for reversing motor direction, which will be nice if I someday find a suitable pair of contra-rotating props for this plane.

And no, the Beagle has not flown yet, at least not with his Twinstar. I'm suffering from a combination of builders block, long work hours, and a succession of mild flu-like viral infections that keep me tired a lot. But I have faith in my calculations, I have no doubt this powerplant will fly the Twinstar very well.

I hope to have better news soon. Sigh.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 02, 2006, 03:49 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Hope you feel better soon!
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Mar 02, 2006, 08:32 AM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Hope you feel better soon!
Beagle,
I'll second those get well wishes.
But I'm not as altruistic as Treetop ... I just received those twin 400XT motors, and I want you to be my guinea pig!
Seriously ... work less and play more ... health will surely follow.

Later,
Peter
Old Mar 02, 2006, 12:16 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
TT, Peter, thanks for the good wishes!

I don't mind being the guinea pig, I just don't want to be the cause of you delaying your buildup. It all comes down to three things: cruise speed of the model, weight of the model, and prop thrust at cruise speed - I usually think of those in terms of stall speed, weight, and pitch speed, but they are equivalent. Get those right, and one has a pretty decent estimate of the model's performance. And I have no doubt that twin 400XT's on a big 3S lipo pack will do the job, and do it well.

What remains is pilot preference - and varying the prop pitch can tailor the setup to that. So, build away, get yourself a pair of GWS HD 9x5 props and a pair of GWS HD 8x6 props, and try both out.

I hope to get some building done this weekend - tomorroww I have to work till 10:30 pm.

I agree with you, Peter, about working less, but I'm in the wrong country for that - we have "Walmart management mentality", as a nation which means you work your employees till they drop, then fire them and get some new ones to wear out.

I shouldn't complain, my work weeks are much better this semester than they've been in some previous ones.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 02, 2006, 01:25 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
TT, Peter, thanks for the good wishes!

I don't mind being the guinea pig, I just don't want to be the cause of you delaying your buildup. It all comes down to three things: cruise speed of the model, weight of the model, and prop thrust at cruise speed - I usually think of those in terms of stall speed, weight, and pitch speed, but they are equivalent. Get those right, and one has a pretty decent estimate of the model's performance. And I have no doubt that twin 400XT's on a big 3S lipo pack will do the job, and do it well.

What remains is pilot preference - and varying the prop pitch can tailor the setup to that. So, build away, get yourself a pair of GWS HD 9x5 props and a pair of GWS HD 8x6 props, and try both out.

I hope to get some building done this weekend - tomorroww I have to work till 10:30 pm.

I agree with you, Peter, about working less, but I'm in the wrong country for that - we have "Walmart management mentality", as a nation which means you work your employees till they drop, then fire them and get some new ones to wear out.

I shouldn't complain, my work weeks are much better this semester than they've been in some previous ones.

-Flieslikeabeagle
And thanks for the sage advice. I feel like I just sat in on one of those rare school lectures well worth attending.
Delay my build? No way!
I actually have to get my EZG done first!
Or should I rebuild the TM, then the Unicorn, and maybe the Pondside ...

Hang in there and stay out of Wal-Mart,
Peter
Old Mar 02, 2006, 02:14 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
One ESC, two motors

Quote:
One or two controllers?
Thanks,
Peter
The only ESC I know of that will reliably run two identical brushless motors is the smile 6-12-40. (Other Kontronic ESCs might work also; my CC Phoenix 40 doesn't. )I have two of them and they run the Kontronic Fun 400-23 twin motors perfectly. This ESC will also run my two Mega 15/16/4T motors together, although the startup is not always as smooth, it hasn't failed ever. I just think that the Fun 400-23 are perfectly matched-better quality control. Heck with my two Fun 400-23s when I rotate one prop manually the other motor turns the other prop due to the back emf(induced current/voltage). Wow, now that is slick!

Eric
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Last edited by erashby; Mar 02, 2006 at 03:39 PM.