Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Hi Peter,

This is the TwinStar II thread

What you see here is the left motor nacelle.

Jürgen
Oops! Make that a double-oops!
You are all over the place, aren't you? Thought I was in the EZ Glider ... never mind ...
Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:54 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh84
This thing looks great and seems to perform very well on the stock setup. It looks as if it might make a good starting point for a stand off scale Grumman Goose. Could be as simple as adding some wing tip floats. Think it would ROW? Think it would float at all?
Soem people have converted the older Twin-Star into a water plane. The standard fuselage however neither has got the right "volume" nor the correct shape for a water plane. The guy made some kind of a "styro shoe" where he put the fuselage into.

Some people have also put the Twin-Star on floats.

Jürgen

Off topic:

The Multiplex CARGO looks great on floats. Here is a video clip:
http://www.rmerk.de/Cargo/Cargo.wmv
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:29 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
That does look cool! Nice color scheme as well. tt
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jul 12, 2005, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
First flights with the new spinner/prop combination - and this time I made sure that the camera view was not obstructed by strapping tape.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Tech Info: The 6.6x3" Cam Slim Prop is too big for the Permax 400, 6V. Even on 7 cells, static current per motor is about 15A@13.200 rpm. With a 2s1p KOKAM 3200 they are probably perfect - despite being quite heavy at 12.5g each (with spinner).

Jürgen
Old Jul 13, 2005, 05:21 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Jurgen, are you going to keep them and use the lipos or re-prop? They certainly LOOK nice, tt.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 05:26 AM
Belgium
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
Jurgen, thanks for your excellent review. One thing I'd like to ask you is how you would make the aileron servos replaceable. I mean the servo leads cannot be reached anymore once in the wing groove and under the spar covers. Is there room enough in the aileron servo recess area to house the lead that comes with the servo and its plug connected to the plug of an extention that would itself then run under the spar cover, same as could be done on the TwinStar I ? (Which in short means the connection would remain apparent and accessible). I plan to fly my TS II with two Permax 480 and very possibly those mean-looking precision spinners you so aptly adopted. Packs will be 8/2200 GP NiMh (arranged in two parallel rows of four) that are so compact and light. Thanks in advance for your comments on all this.
Scramble is offline Find More Posts by Scramble
Old Jul 13, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Jurgen, are you going to keep them and use the lipos or re-prop? They certainly LOOK nice, tt.
I will keep them when I use Lipos, but most likely I will replace the motors too (Permax 480, 7.2V instead of Permax 400, 6.0V). The increase in torque should get the amps down.

Jürgen
Old Jul 13, 2005, 02:11 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramble
Jurgen, thanks for your excellent review. One thing I'd like to ask you is how you would make the aileron servos replaceable. I mean the servo leads cannot be reached anymore once in the wing groove and under the spar covers.
I plan to fly my TS II with two Permax 480 and very possibly those mean-looking precision spinners you so aptly adopted. Packs will be 8/2200 GP NiMh (arranged in two parallel rows of four) that are so compact and light. Thanks in advance for your comments on all this.
If you look here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=19

you can see that I cut the servo cable rather short at the servo and soldered the extension cable in between. If a servo fails, I can - provided no glue got to the extension cable - pull the cable out a couple of inches and solder a new servo to the extension cable.

8/GP2200 are fine, but rather expensive. Being NiMH they probably don't like multiple charges at the same day. A 2s1p KOKAM 3200 doesn't cost that much more, has more capacity and weighs only half.

Jürgen
Old Jul 13, 2005, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
So can 520gr be considered the empty weight for the Twinstar II or is there anything missing in the list (glue weight, decalc )?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Just weighed the components:

Fuselage: 162.2g
Vertical stabilizer: 23.2g
Horizontal stabilizer: 40.5g
Left wing panel: 118.3g
Right wing panel: 118.4g
Wing joiner/control rods: 66.0g
Accessories: 41.7g

Jürgen

Perhaps somebody has the weights of the "old" Twin-Star (for comparison)?
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:29 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
721 Posts
Yeehaaa!!!

My TSII has just arrived from England!

Now to rip off the paper and get stuck into it! Now I don't care so much that the weather forecasr for the weekend is wet and miserable! Maybe it will clear up by Sunday for a Maiden Flight DownUnder!

Thanks ModelSpot!

Cheers

Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Plawner
So can 520gr be considered the empty weight for the Twinstar II or is there anything missing in the list (glue weight, decals )?
Glue and decals are not counted for, but then I have not subtracted the bits of the control rods which you cut off either.

Jürgen
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:46 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Way to go David! Good luck on the weather. tt
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
721 Posts
Building!

Just about to glue the two hlves together! Waiting for the kicker to dy!

I've run in the two Speed400's using David Hippersons technique - dunk them in water the a drop of dish washing liquid while running for 90 seconds or so then dry them and put in clean water to rinse for 30 seconds!

Back to the bench!

Cheers

Numb Thumbs

PS

I hope the Rain Gods heard you, TT.

PPS

Old Pilot's daughter, Jerusha, seems to be improving. Let our thoughts be with them.
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:09 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Old Pilot's daughter, Jerusha, seems to be improving. Let our thoughts be with them.
Most Definately!