HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Could they be too heavy at 92 grams each?
The stock Permax 400 weighs 73g, so we are talking about additional 2 x 19g here, i.e. totally negligible.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,294 Posts
FANSTAR TWIN FLIGHT REPORT ON 2 x 4S

My Fanstar EDF version received its pair of 4S 3300 Turnigy packs today. It has flown on 3S packs and was acceptable, but the design was to use 4S so in they went.

The take off was very swift and a short. The test-flight showed better speed and the climb looked promising. The second flight was a blast (Pun intended!).

There is a lot of truth in the statement that EDFs are not as efficient as propeller versions. However, when Don sells you an EDF system it can unsettle that rule!

The next flight had some confidence in the pilot, so with fresh 4S 3300 packs ½ throttle stick had the Funstar—I mistyped Fanstar—maybe it should keep that name? In about 20 feet I went WOT and pulled straight up. Awesome is a good word. Added some rolls for good measure and only stopped going up when my neck was angled too far back. This puppy has greater than 1-1 and I was a pretty happy camper. I did not do any full power end run dives, but did add full power during straight and level passes. This was most pleasing. Very fast if needed.

I reverted to my flight plan and did some typical Twinstar flying. Tried some no-power gliding, ½ power rolls, flat turns, medium loops, square loops and figure 8s. All easy to do despite the heavier packs and EDF systems. Stall turns were good due to help from the rudder mixes with the fans.

I have the rudder/fan mixes on a switch and it works just as well with the mixes off once you are not landing or taxiing. I copied my rudder to roll couple correction settings from my original Twinstar. These corrective mix settings did not work, properly because I had reduced the stock dihedral with some one piece CF wing rods. Will adjust them next time out. The fans seem to cause different rudder reactions.

All in all a great day. I did have some video, but the focus was not working and the sky was pretty grey. Will see what I can salvage or compete for the worst video cup!

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,294 Posts
Video FANSTAR ON 4S

4S FANSTAR (1 min 58 sec)

4S FANSTAR (1 min 58 sec)

Not the greatest video by a long way, but hopefuly you can see the performance was pretty good. Especially the top speed.....

E.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:15 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Wow. Never seen a twinstar haul butt like that...especially more impressive using (dual?) EDF setup.
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkz View Post
Wow. Never seen a twinstar haul butt like that...especially more impressive using (dual?) EDF setup.
To be honest i was not searching for or expecting the speed. I did want and get greater than 1-1 vertical. The airframe is pretty strong to begin with and this wing wing has a full span one-piece 1/2" round wrapped CF spar [extra stiff] and a shorter spar of the same material out as far as EDF pods. I also use hardwood mounts to secure the 70 mm fan to the CF spars. All held together with white gorilla glue. Before you add the batteries I am only 10 oz heavier than a stock. TS II.

Of course you sacrifice run time with a pair of these Wicked 70mm units on 4S, but you do have control of the throttle. I intend to use a lot less power on take-off etc. and keep the power for the odd speed pass and the mega-uplines.

I must thank all of the previous post'ers and RC Groups in general for the ideas that inspire. Also Don for his counsel as I came to terms with this level of EDF power.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
In case anyone needs an FPV pod for the TwinStar, I have one. I got it from ReadyMadeRC and put it together myself. It was on board during a crash but sustained no damage. Note: it will NOT come with the pan/tilt module, but you can get that separately (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=12)

PM me for more info.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:26 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Hi fellas,

I've searched around and I can't find an answer to this one. It's probably really obvious!

This is my first twin motor. I'm running brushless 1000kv Turnigy outrunners and 20amp ESCs on a 4000mah 3 cell.

When I measure the amp draw while running both motors, would a reading of 20amps mean that I'm at my limit for the ESCs or does it mean they are drawing 10amps each?
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:42 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
If you have two ESC (one per motor) and you're measuring 20A from the battery end then each is pulling 10A

I run 10A motor setup each side on my TS2, on full whack the system pulls about 17A
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:13 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam View Post
If you have two ESC (one per motor) and you're measuring 20A from the battery end then each is pulling 10A

I run 10A motor setup each side on my TS2, on full whack the system pulls about 17A
Great! Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Hi fellas,

Me again!

Well, the Twin Star 2 flies beautifully. What an amazing plane!

Unfortunately I'm getting a severe amount of vibration at about 3/4 throttle. On the bench I can see the spinner and shaft start wobbling out to the sides.

I've tried all the normal things, balancing the props, checking the adapters etc. but i can't get it sorted.

I'm thinking the motor mounts aren't solid enough. They are securely glued in but the plate that's screwed to the motor has some flex in it.

Does this sound reasonable?

If so, any tips on more solid motor mounting?

Thanks again. I really hope I can get it sorted as its a joy to fly otherwise.

Phox
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:58 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hi fellas,

Me again!

Well, the Twin Star 2 flies beautifully. What an amazing plane!

Unfortunately I'm getting a severe amount of vibration at about 3/4 throttle. On the bench I can see the spinner and shaft start wobbling out to the sides.

I've tried all the normal things, balancing the props, checking the adapters etc. but i can't get it sorted.

I'm thinking the motor mounts aren't solid enough. They are securely glued in but the plate that's screwed to the motor has some flex in it.

Does this sound reasonable?

If so, any tips on more solid motor mounting?

Thanks again. I really hope I can get it sorted as its a joy to fly otherwise.

Phox
Are you noticing this in the air or just on the bench?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:37 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Are you noticing this in the air or just on the bench?
It's very noticable both on the bench and in the air.

In the air it seems fine WOT and on very low throttle. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle makes a really bad 'throbbing' noise.

I'm not sure if I should be looking for aluminium motor mounts, better motors or something else entirely.

I'm currently using Turnigy 1000kv motors, 20a ESCs and 8x6E props and (reversed) stock motor mounts.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:47 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
Some motors benefit from balancing. Lots of info on this in the multicopter forums.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:55 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Some motors benefit from balancing. Lots of info on this in the multicopter forums.
Thanks Bill. I've looked into this a bit already. The motor balance seems good without the prop. I'm not sure if it's once the motor is under load that it all goes bad or if the mount isn't holding it firmly enough.

I guess process of elimination is the best bet. I think I'll mount the motors on a board to take the mount out of the equation.
Last edited by phoxache; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:47 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
It's very noticable both on the bench and in the air.

In the air it seems fine WOT and on very low throttle. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle makes a really bad 'throbbing' noise.

I'm not sure if I should be looking for aluminium motor mounts, better motors or something else entirely.

I'm currently using Turnigy 1000kv motors, 20a ESCs and 8x6E props and (reversed) stock motor mounts.
It's a harmonic vibration. Try and stiffen the mounts some more and stay out of the power setting where it's most evident.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection