HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:39 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
hey mike , thanks for you reply ..
well it will be an fpv plane , so it needs to carry a bit more weight than your normal park flying twinstar.
I want to carry at least 3000mah 3S ... as I understand that shouldn't be any problem for this plane?
+ full fpv gear (vtx, osd , gps etc.)

and like you I want long flight times , just cruising around .... no need for verticals , but I do need good climb rates , and I really dont want to have to push full throttle in order to get it to climb good.

yea that 2822 SK3 motor might be an option , but it seems a bit underpowered with its max 7amp / 80w rating.

But when you mention it , I do need it do be a belly lander .. so I need the prop to clear...
so I guess I need to choose a prop and motor accordingly.

any advice?
I suggest using 8" props: APC 8x3.8SF (SlowFlyer), APC 8x6E (ThinElectric), or Graupner 8x5 Eprop. These are all available as counter rotating pairs. I have mainly flown 8x3.8, but all three sets are high efficiency and come well balanced.

I currently use these tiny 9A motors:

Sellers specs:
Spec.
Battery: 2~3 Cell /7.4~11.1V
RPM: 1600kv
Max current: 9A
No load current: 11V/0.5A
Internal resistance: 0.18 ohm
Weight: 25g (not including connectors)
Diameter of shaft: 3mm
Dimensions: 27x23mm

Test Data:
7.4v - 8x4.3 prop - 8.5A - 355g Thrust
11.1v - 7x3.5 Prop - 7.2A - 420g Thrust

I run them 2S and get almost vertical out of them with the APC 8x3.8s:
RC Multiplex TwinStar 2 tree incidence (0 min 11 sec)

Because of cold and foggy weather, I flew on a different spot than usual and was caught off guard by the tree behind me. Despite the 950gr TS being almost stalled out, the 9A motors easily pulled the plane out of harms way.

I suggest you to go for 1000-1200KV motors for 3S LiPo and 8" props. But you should probably go for 8x5 or 8x6 pitch for the higher speeds required to lift more weight.

The lift increases exponentially with speed, so you won't need much more speed to carry bigger batteries and FPV gear. Drag is probably a worse enemy than weight for the TS 2.

The 2822 SK3s on 3S should be more powerful than my Park300s on 2S, so I can't imagine you lacking power or climb performance with that set-up, but you might pick the 2830s instead. On paper they have twice the power.
2822:

2830:

Let us know how the build progresses

EDIT: Since I have a pair of SK3 2822 1090KV in the drawer, I just tried one out with a 8x4.5 prop and a halfway charged 3S 1300mAh LiPo: 7.4A at 10.4V static, so that is pretty close to spec. I didn't measure thrust, but with two of those, I'd have to hold on the TS for it not to self-launch...
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,851 Posts
Had a full FPV twinstar with autopilot, uhf, gopro and fpv cam, 3S5100. Cruised on about 9 amps with 9 x 4.3 props on elite 950kv motors
Ended up moving to a skywalker for extended duration and space to put things.
My AUW of my twinstar was around 4.5 lbs.
My Skywalker is about 4.4 lbs but flies on less than 5 amps.
Also easier to haul around due to the easily removable wing.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Mordialloc
Joined Aug 2009
1,064 Posts
I got sick of flying the quad and only being able to fly 1-2kms away so a few weeks ago i bought myself a Twinstar and after fixing it up on a Head Tracking Panning Gopro and FPV cam here is the finished plane.

Never done head tracking before so i was a bit all over the shop and it was a bit windy

Plane: Twinstar II
OSD: Eagletree
HD Cam: Gopro V1
FPV Cam: 600TL Sony Super HAD CCD
UHF: Tunigy TX / Chainlink
Motors: Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv on a 6x4 Prop
Batteries: 2 x 3S 2700mAh opting for 3 x 3S2700
Vtx: 1.3ghz

The Secret Project (2 min 31 sec)
ScoRpiUs2009 is online now Find More Posts by ScoRpiUs2009
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,376 Posts
Fanstar twin

It took a while but, inspired by previous entries, I finally got round to making my own EDF version of a Twinstar II.

I christened mine "FANSTAR TWIN" It has flown successfully and I have a video. Waiting for a new firewire board adapter and then I'll upload a video and a bunch of pictures as soon as possible. FYI - It has two of Don's wicked 70mm units in it........

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:16 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,782 Posts
That's cute. I remember seeing EDF versions of the original grey Twin Star when that came out - powered by brushed motors running on nicd cells!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:22 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoRpiUs2009 View Post
I got sick of flying the quad and only being able to fly 1-2kms away so a few weeks ago i bought myself a Twinstar and after fixing it up on a Head Tracking Panning Gopro and FPV cam here is the finished plane.
https://vimeo.com/53640826
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Did you do any LOS flying with the TS 2 before going FPV?

Did you get an altitude read-out?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
That's cute. I remember seeing EDF versions of the original grey Twin Star when that came out - powered by brushed motors running on nicd cells!
You know, I had this vague recollection of a kit version with fans. but I could not place it. It must have been a side picture on a box. Maybe it was on the one that you quoted. I tried Multiplex suppliers, but nobody knew what I was asking about. It became a quest for a while and then I shelved it for house moving duties. Anyone got pictures of the original?

ED Fans are, by nature, less effiecient so I chose Don'e wicked set up in 70mm. These fans are powerfull, however they do use a lot of juice. I am running 2 x 3300mAh nano packs for a 3-4 minute full bore run. The Fanstar does not need that power and on teh first flight I cut the motors to do a landing approach and actaully gt caught in a small thermal.

The extra pack addsweight. Does not sem to inhibit the flying or landing. I did mean a lot of surgery on the fuselage to create battery chambers and cooling air flow amidships.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,782 Posts
The EDF Twin Star I remember was a long time ago ... I think Andy McCowan's one, mentioned in this 2001 thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8255
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:31 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
The EDF Twin Star I remember was a long time ago ...
And not to forget ... the turbine powered version :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2620

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,782 Posts
I had forgotten

More than six years ago now ...where does the time go?!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing! Did you do any LOS flying with the TS 2 before going FPV?

Did you get an altitude read-out?
I only did LOS on 2 sets of batteries to trim it out, then jumped into FPV.

that video it was 900 meters high and today i did 1700 meters high, stayed up for 23 mins could have been alot longer if i didnt push the height

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,064 Posts
hey guys is anyone else using Eagletree OSD in there TS2 ?

If so where did you mount the Guardian stabilizer ?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
My personal best with my 1kw (on 4s) Twinstar II...
This flight was achieved on 3s...still didn't take too long to get up there.

I LOVE THIS PLANE.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,376 Posts
Video roughs.

Need a better camera , but you can see how it worked.

FIRST FLIGHT (3 min 2 sec)

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eric Henderson; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: attachment failure
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,376 Posts
Thanksgiving weekend

Today was irresistable as far as flying was concerned.No wind at all and 70-75F. The LVRCC field was mobbed, but I just had to do a 4S test. The big airplanes were out in force and I wondered if the FANSTAR could hold her own in this company.

I loaded the fuselage with twoTurnigy Nano 4S 3300mAh 65C packs and stepped up to the flight line. There was quite a bit of diiference in the accelleration from the 3S packs. You would not know that the weight had increased. The speed was just great and huge loops were easy to do. Don's 70mm units really come alive with 4S LIPO packs. Later in the day I flew with 3S packs because that was what I had handy that were charged. Just as nice to fly but less vertical and speed. No problem keeping up with big guys.

My preference was the 4S, naturally!---- I had set my timer at 4 minutes and flew at full bore for a lot of that time. Both packs were down to 3.78V per cell. These fan units on 4S are very viable, if you like speed and vertical?

On my next trip I intend to fly my regular Twinstar II. That one has the MPI brushless upgrade and can really "go" with APC props. Then I can compare the two airplanes with some fresher memories.

Anyway, my thanksgiving had a lot be thankful for as far as some good flying experiemnts and results.

Hope you all had a good one too.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member