Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Twinstar endurance bench test results:

Battery: 1 x 5500 mah 25 c 3 cell
Motors: 2 x Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 1020Kv

Total time: 37 minutes
Voltage remaining: 10.5
Mah consumed: 5300

Test profile: Had the Twinstar secured on my bench and then went to full throttle for 2 minutes, then down to 3/4 throttle for 30 seconds and then down to just below 1/2 throttle (to simulate cruise throttle) for the remainder of the test.

Was drawing 7.5 amps and 84 watts on average for most of the test. During last 5 minutes throttled up to just above 1/2 throttle drawing 8.5 amps and 98 watts.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Twinstar endurance bench test results:

Battery: 1 x 5500 mah 25 c 3 cell
Motors: 2 x Park 480 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 1020Kv

Total time: 37 minutes
Voltage remaining: 10.5
Mah consumed: 5300

Test profile: Had the Twinstar secured on my bench and then went to full throttle for 2 minutes, then down to 3/4 throttle for 30 seconds and then down to just below 1/2 throttle (to simulate cruise throttle) for the remainder of the test.

Was drawing 7.5 amps and 84 watts on average for most of the test. During last 5 minutes throttled up to just above 1/2 throttle drawing 8.5 amps and 98 watts.
Don't want to pour cold water over your enthusiasm, however, plz remember bench tests may give you various info but real flight test cud be different.depending on wind and other factors ...and more to the point, remember TS II is a foam model - such prolong bench tests even at half-throttle wud put a lot of stress on structures, particularly at wing seat so it may be detrimental.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
Don't want to pour cold water over your enthusiasm, however, plz remember bench tests may give you various info but real flight test cud be different.depending on wind and other factors ...and more to the point, remember TS II is a foam model - such prolong bench tests even at half-throttle wud put a lot of stress on structures, particularly at wing seat so it may be detrimental.

Just my 2p worth.

Cheers
Stress!? This Twinstar has run into at least 4 basketball backboards at full throttle, lost both motors at least 6 times, shattered the wing twice, broke the nose off once. Running 1/2 throttle on the bench for 40 minutes too much stress? Not to worry.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
Last edited by ecworks; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Anybody got an old Brushed ESC from an RR they haven't tossed yet? Looking to get a TS2 in the air cheap! Got a line on a kit with motors but no one at my LHS has a brushed controller at hand...

--Jason
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:12 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,940 Posts
Quote:
Stress!? This Twinstar has run into at least 4 basketball backboards at full throttle, lost both motors at least 6 times, shattered the wing twice, broke the nose off once. Running 1/2 throttle on the bench for 40 minutes too much stress? Not to worry.
Could be. Did you monitor any temps?

It only takes seconds to check amp draw and you can work out endurance from a 5-10 minute flight. And then there are the dangers of prolonged bench testing.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Haha..... some of us like to live dangerously ...come back Felix Baumgartner.. all is forgiven and forgotten...

CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,167 Posts
Im building a TS2 for FPV ... does hobbyking have any motors that fit the original housings?
Preferably keeping the motors inside the foam ie not sticking out...
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:35 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Im building a TS2 for FPV ... does hobbyking have any motors that fit the original housings?
Preferably keeping the motors inside the foam ie not sticking out...
I'd say the best choice is a pair of 2822mm outrunners, like the Turnigy SK3. Around 1000KV for 3S LiPo and 8 x 4.5 - 8 x 6 props, or 1500KV for 2S LiPo and same props.

You'd need to remove a little bit of the plastic in the motor mounts, but it's very worthwhile!
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,167 Posts
What do you think of this one, Turnigy SK3 2826 1130kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18152

max 13 amps / 125watts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:25 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,167 Posts
Or this one , a little bit "bigger" ... same kv 1130 , but can handle 15amps
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5686
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:01 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
octane81,

most people agree on a max of 8" props for the TwinStar in order to maintain ground clearance, and you don't need more power than the suggested 2822mm SK3 provides for 8" props. Unless you want crazy pitch and a high speed plane.

Likewise, if you want verticals, go for 9" props and beefier motors, but in my opinion, this is not what the TS is about. For me it's about scalelike flying, the sweet sound of twin motors, and flight duration.

The more power surplus your set-up has, the less efficient it will be at cruising speed. Translating into reduced flight times.

But in order to get a good advice on the motor select, you must tell us how you intend to fly the plane, or provide any kind of information that could affect your set-up. For instance, if it is very windy in your area (Antarctica?, really?), it would suggest flying a heavier, faster set-up to penetrate and become less affected by turbulence. If you intend to take off and land on snow covered ground, then the prop diameter should be max 8":

Multiplex TwinStar 2 RC plane (0 min 30 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,167 Posts
hey mike , thanks for you reply ..
well it will be an fpv plane , so it needs to carry a bit more weight than your normal park flying twinstar.
I want to carry at least 3000mah 3S ... as I understand that shouldn't be any problem for this plane?
+ full fpv gear (vtx, osd , gps etc.)

and like you I want long flight times , just cruising around .... no need for verticals , but I do need good climb rates , and I really dont want to have to push full throttle in order to get it to climb good.

yea that 2822 SK3 motor might be an option , but it seems a bit underpowered with its max 7amp / 80w rating.

But when you mention it , I do need it do be a belly lander .. so I need the prop to clear...
so I guess I need to choose a prop and motor accordingly.

any advice?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2006
21 Posts
Ducted Twinstar II

This is off the topic of recommended power plants... but a few people have asked me to repost the video of my EDF Twinstar. The link was broken...
Here is the updated link.
Just to recap:
2-Eflite 420s with the EFLite airliner nacelles...
Looks good, sounds good.... but isnt quite the performer I had hoped.
It is still flying today, no more crashes since the one in the video...

TSII EDF First Flight (5 min 15 sec)
wmfiremedic is offline Find More Posts by wmfiremedic
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:10 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfiremedic View Post
...Just to recap: 2-Eflite 420s with the EFLite airliner nacelles... Looks good, sounds good.... but isnt quite the performer I had hoped.
I would expect the profile of the wing to dislike very high speed - by simply generating too much lift and drag. You probably need a sleeker plane and wing for speed performance.