Jim
jimf172 is offline Find More Posts by jimf172
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:44 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
Geez, Omba, thatud be cause we Okka types frum Downunda don talk with a axent, yuse yanks talk kinda funny but, eh!

Cheers Mate!

Numb Thumbs from Oz
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:12 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs
Geez, Omba, thatud be cause we Okka types frum Downunda don talk with a axent, yuse yanks talk kinda funny but, eh!

Cheers Mate!

Numb Thumbs from Oz
LOL ...
What's an Okka?
A new BL motor?
A fluorescent painter?

Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:33 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
What was that Omba - I can't understand your accent!

Cheers Mate!

Numb Thumbs

PS "Okker" is Australian slang for "Australian", as in "She's a beaut Okker Sheila, Bruce, not a bit stuck up!"
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:36 PM
Illinois
Joined May 2005
58 Posts
Finally! Yesterday was the first calm day for my Twin Star IIís maiden flight. Just one word: Marvelous! The plane is everything I hoped it would be. A short spec list: HS-81 servos, Electron 6 Rx, single Phoenix 45A ESC, ParkBEC, TP ProLite 4000mAh LiPo battery, AXI 2212/20 outrunner motors, Grauper CAM Slim 8x6 props. Flying weight: 43.5oz (1230g) Hand tossed it a few times; seemed fine. Ran it up to little over half throttle, probably about 24oz static thrust, and that felt like plenty of power for launch. It was. Wow! This thing is fast! Flew for about 15 minutes, made a few landings, then I brought it to my friend Larry who occasionally does beta testing for Hobbico Ė heís a pretty good pilot He flew it for a few minutes and got my trims set right (I had it a bit cross-controlled). It really didnít need any trim; everything was square. He then proceeded to wring it out; vertical climbs, continuous loops, and a long, beautiful series of very fast rolls. It showed me that I can learn a lot flying this plane. After charging the battery (about 2000mAh for the ~15 minutes of flying) and swapping out the Graupner 8x6 for APC E 8x4 I took it back out that evening for a 15 minute flight. Same thrust but a little less speed than the Graupner 8x6, just like youíd expect. Not very noticeable to me at the low throttle I was using. The plane is just a joy to fly. You can fly it fast, or just float along. It has plenty of power to climb 100í in an instant and the control response is fast and precise. I did a flew loops and a couple of aileron rolls (Iíve got a lot to learn!) and just had a blast.

Numb Thumbs, glad to see you got yours in the air Ė a day before me! Iíll be very interested to see your in-flight power readings, please tell us about them.
PyroKerry is offline Find More Posts by PyroKerry
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
468 Posts
Just curious: could I run the stock TwinStar motors with a single CC Sprite 25A ESC? Assuming no ventilation I think it's rated for 20A, which seems near or under the limit for 2x400 typically propped. I've had my eye on this plane (not up to it yet, just got an EZGE this week that I'm also not quite ready for, I think) but don't want to get any more brushed controllers. Thanks.
CraigF is offline Find More Posts by CraigF
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:48 PM
Illinois
Joined May 2005
58 Posts
flyingmodels.org test of the Permax 400 6v with the stock Gunter prop and 8 cells shows a WOT draw of 14.4A (per motor). Now, Castle rates that ESC for 40A surge, so maybe if you didn't run it wide open much... Also, the TS2 does have ventilation.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:06 PM
Space Cowboy
Flagler Beach, FL
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Outrunner Installations

PyroKerry ... Congratulations! I look forward to someday getting mine on the building board.

OK ... Numb Thumbs, Pyro, others, and Okkers!
Are the outrunners just drop-ins? I don't think so.
What modifications/mounts/madness have you gone through to get these installed?

Thanks,
Peter
omba is offline Find More Posts by omba
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:26 PM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
725 Posts
Omba

Mine just bolted straight in! I had to run aileron extensions to the motor pods becaus I run the ESC's at the motors.

Cheers

Numb Thumbs
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:50 PM
Illinois
Joined May 2005
58 Posts
Thanks, Peter!

It doesn't take much work at all. The AXI 2208 and 2212 series are 27.7mm diameter so they do bolt in. But, since the case turns on an outrunner, it rubs on the plastic 'fins' of the motor mount, and two of the bosses that the front plate of the motor mount screws into. So, I clipped the 'fins' with diagonal cutters and filed down screw bosses. Picture 1 shows this. I also made three holes in the front plate of the motor mount to match up with the ventilation holes in the front of the AXI motor.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Question:

Is the stock power system enough to add some lightweight LG to this thing? For those that don't have belly landing friendly sights...
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:30 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
yes!

http://plawner.net/4/twinstar/bill_g...star_bill.html
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Sep 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
Norway
Joined May 2004
255 Posts
Yup, but it requires some runway (maybe 10-20m to take off from ground).
If you see my post in this thread here, I've added landing gears for my TSII, works really great!
Landing is really smooth, smae with takeoff!

Twin-Jet-Crash is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Jet-Crash
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Good to know. I saw the v1 of this plane fly years and years ago, and it was impressive on the stock setup. So maybe it's time to get one.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:00 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
yes. it's time. you buy now
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive