HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Too Much Prop!

I've been flying my Twinstar using the powerpack from Multiplex. The Himax 2812-1080 Brushless Motors are swinging 9 x 6 APC Props. I have way too much thrust even at 50% power! Anyone have the same problem and arrived at happy medium? Or, anyone out there with a prop size/pitch suggestion?

Thanks
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
yeah. don't go full throttle.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,836 Posts
Switch to an 8X6
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Switch to an 8X6
Thank you
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
I had the same issue with different motors and switched to 8x6. Made a bit difference all the way around, including much cooler running motors/ESCs/batteries. All of my electronics stay cool to the touch now, even after running for 20 minutes.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
I had the same issue with different motors and switched to 8x6. Made a bit difference all the way around, including much cooler running motors/ESCs/batteries. All of my electronics stay cool to the touch now, even after running for 20 minutes.

Brandon
That's an intriguing point. I expect that I will be running the motors at a higher power setting with the smaller prop thus increasing heat. Instead of 33% I might be running at 45%.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:03 PM
East SF bay
Joined Apr 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflipper View Post
That's an intriguing point. I expect that I will be running the motors at a higher power setting with the smaller prop thus increasing heat. Instead of 33% I might be running at 45%.
It sounds odd, but most esc's run hotter at lower speeds, because they have to dissipate the extra power somewhere and it goes away as heat...Tony
antonlubo is offline Find More Posts by antonlubo
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonlubo View Post
It sounds odd, but most esc's run hotter at lower speeds, because they have to dissipate the extra power somewhere and it goes away as heat...Tony

Well, with the esc's positioned right behind the props, it couldn't work out any better.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:26 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
You have to consider the amount of torque. With an 8x6 prop, you have the same pitch and an inch less of prop than a 9x6. It takes less torque since there's an inch less of prop and this means less stress on the motors and ESCs. Also, with less energy going to heat, its more efficient. For my motors, an 8x6 on 3S was a really good match between power and efficiency. I can fly comfortably at half-throttle and generally take off by hand-launch at 3/4 throttle.

Brandon
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
By going from 9x6" to "8x6", you will run your motors at around the same power, i.e. the same average current, but with lower current peaks, so nothing to worry about.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonlubo View Post
That's not how ESCs work. They don't dissipate the extra power, but switch the power on and off several thousand times per second. When you reduce power, the phases of "power-off" are getting longer.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:42 AM
East SF bay
Joined Apr 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
That's not how ESCs work. They don't dissipate the extra power, but switch the power on and off several thousand times per second. When you reduce power, the phases of "power-off" are getting longer.

Jürgen
Thanks Jürgen. I stand corrected. As I get older, I realize I will never stop learning...Tony
antonlubo is offline Find More Posts by antonlubo
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Replacement Motor Recommendation

A hard landing caused damage to one of my motors. The prop didn't break but was enough that the motor needs to be replaced. Prop Savers might have saved it. It wasn't apparent when I ran them up before flight but enough to cause the plane to yaw to one side one at 50% power.

I had Himax 2812-1080 brushless motors installed but if I can get by with a decent "almost as good as" motor, so much the better.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Just general all around flying and an occasional camera (6 oz) on board. The 2812's, by the way, gave me more power than I ever needed!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Himax 2812-1080, but I'm using these Turnigy 2830-1100s and I couldn't be happier. Take off is easy at 3/4 throttle. They are very efficient with the Turnigy ESCs I'm using. I can fly at half- to three quarter-throttle for 12 minutes or so and they'll only use around 1000 mAh. Love it! Plus they haul my GoPro no problem at all.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12921

At $9, I even bought a spare and it turned out handy to have after some less than stellar motor mounts by yours truly failed.

Brandon
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
I'm not familiar with the Himax 2812-1080, but I'm using these Turnigy 2830-1100s and I couldn't be happier. Take off is easy at 3/4 throttle. They are very efficient with the Turnigy ESCs I'm using. I can fly at half- to three quarter-throttle for 12 minutes or so and they'll only use around 1000 mAh. Love it! Plus they haul my GoPro no problem at all.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12921

At $9, I even bought a spare and it turned out handy to have after some less than stellar motor mounts by yours truly failed.

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon - I would like to buy from them but all I hear is negative stuff about HK in vendor talk. If another company sells their stuff, please direct me!