Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Click on "Thread tools" just under the page numbers at the top, then click "Show attachments in this thread".

I found this one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...67#post8458138

Power system: Here's a long thread detailing just about everything with respect to picking an efficient setup for an FPV TS (I'm interested in how things work) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459049
If you don't want to read it, I can summarize. A motor with a kv between 900 and 1100-ish should work well if you prop it correctly.

You can also check my blog (click on my name to the left) for my TwinStar's details.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Sep 2004
642 Posts
Coast Guard TS II

I was admiring some of the Twinstar II's decked out as Coast Guard planes. Does anyone know where I can get CG decals or a way of making the decals myself using special vinyl-type material and an inkjet or laser printer?

Thanks
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Ebay's a good place to find decals. I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-Stick...item415ceda453

Or you can probably find some sticker paper at Office Depot or similar. If you need it to be vinyl, you can always cut it yourself.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:45 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
Hello.
just thought id drop in and say
i have a twinstar on the way! with the build focus on an FPV platform!
i thought id snoop around in here and look for a nice power set up to give me some long ish flight times!
also looking for a nice easy paint scheme. thinking Canadian search and rescue.
Chris
Nice! If you're doing FPV, I'd recommend doing HS-82MGs all around for dependability.

Check my post here for my setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7588

This setup is great. I switched from 9x6 to 8x6 props and this thing has tons of power and just sips on the battery and the motors just get luke warm. With the 9x6 props they came down hot. I've got some 9x4.5 props I'm going to try as well, but I'm pretty happy with the 8x6 props for now. I can fly for 15 minutes on about 750mAh. And that's in 10MPH winds! Its a really efficient setup. Cost effective, too.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
I built my Twinstar2 specifically to trial the electronics/techniques for FPV and then fully intended to move it all onto a flying wing. I'm still flying the TS2 - I built mine nice & light and it just flies so well. It's also very tough (I usually land FPV )

I will build that wing one day.....

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
Thanks bro.
I did a search the other day and was surprised to see how many TwinStars are being used for FPV. Makes sense, though! Its where I would start if I was getting into FPV. Plenty of PayLoad.

Brandon
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:19 AM
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflipper View Post
I was admiring some of the Twinstar II's decked out as Coast Guard planes. Does anyone know where I can get CG decals or a way of making the decals myself using special vinyl-type material and an inkjet or laser printer?

Thanks
Hi flyingflipper, I made all my GG decals with CoralDraw and then printed them onto decal paper from CraftyConputer Shop which sell all sorts of printable media. If you want further details PM me. Unfortunately I've changed PCs so no longer have the source file.
Hughie : )
Hughie Shiel is offline Find More Posts by Hughie Shiel
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:42 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam View Post
I built my Twinstar2 specifically to trial the electronics/techniques for FPV and then fully intended to move it all onto a flying wing. I'm still flying the TS2 - I built mine nice & light and it just flies so well. It's also very tough (I usually land FPV )

I will build that wing one day.....

Adam
Haha! I want a flying wing, but for speed purposes.

I mounted the GoPro to the TwinStar and I'm uploading the videos now. I could tell the GoPro was on there, but just barely! I freaking love this plane. This plane just flies great. There's certainly no 3D, and even rolls aren't very good, but its great to play in the wind with on a windy day. And also good for AP, AV, and FPV.

I'm really glad I built this one!

Brandon
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Got my video uploaded. Nothing too special, but its my first so I'm excited!

Maiden Flight with GoPro (4 min 4 sec)

Brandon
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:48 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
767 Posts
Cheers TexasAggie for finding me some links!
Love the paint work. and there motor prop thing is what i was looking for! so cheers!
Hopefully the mail man arrives tomorrow with my TS2!
then i can start building!

Hey NeveSSL
metal gear servos sound like a must for this. i dont fancy trekking to find a downed ts2 dues to control issues! iv seen quite a few on youtube suffer servo issues!
It sounds like you have a pretty efficient power set up with yours!
What size pack are you flying and whats your total ?
i was thinking of using a 4000mah pack.

Chris
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:49 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Exactly on the MG servos! Well worth the extra couple of bucks.

I am very happy with the efficiency of my setup. Couldn't ask for much more!

I need to weigh my plane. I'm not at all sure what my AUW is. I'm running 2200mAh packs, but I'll probably pickup a 5000mAh pack eventually just for the fun of it.

Brandon
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:43 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
767 Posts
My TS2 order wont be sent for another week! they ran out at a model show and are awaiting stock...
but i do have 1.3ghz Tx and Rx and a patch antenna for the FPV gear on its way!
il be ordering some HS 82MG servos soon!
my fpv gear should have the 5mile range i was hoping for. but i think il be buying a futaba 9. so the radio gear will have a range around 3miles... until i can afford the dragon link.
still not sure what i want to power the aircraft with.... but il come to that soon!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
***************************Urgent***************** **
Hope someone is on-line who can advise me.... Just rebuilding my Twinstar due to ESC pprobs. Bought two new Tunigy 25 amp models but I seem to remember when I first built in I was advised to cut one of the positive leads on one of the esc's. Is this correct? Soldering as we speak......
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:50 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
731 Posts
No need to cut that lead, you can just remove it from the housing and put a piece of HS on it in case.....
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:52 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
731 Posts
That's what I call an efficient forum
Sorry for an off........
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
No need to cut that lead, you can just remove it from the housing and put a piece of HS on it in case.....
Thanks m8, back to it then, you're a star : )