HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:30 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
thanks for the input guys.

since you guys have talked about it floating on landings, do any of you use spoilerons or spoilers? maybe even both spoilerons and flaps for a CROW type application?

I will be flying out in the bush in the middle of alaska in about 8 months, so I have some time to play around and build the "right" platform to get my photos and video.

I think next paycheck I will be ordering a TSII to start my build up. I want to make modular camera pods for my DSLR (Nikon D5000), Point and Shoot (Coolpix) and my GoPro.

I have a 5.8ghz vTx and vRx and a AR8000 and a AR6200 (one for flight control, one for camera operator on the gimble if needed)

I am looking forward to working with the TSII

Thanks for steering me away from the EasyStar.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:35 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Nice! The TSII will leave you plenty of room for what you want to do.

In that realm, I've seen where some people cut out the back of the place where you put all of your stuff. Its kind of hard to explain what I mean, but you may want to look into cutting the wall that is where the back of the wing is so you can use the space more into the tail of the plane. I believe this would allow you to balance your camera on the front of the plane by putting everything else back there. I hope that makes sense. I'll see if I can dig up a pic... I know I saw one the other day.

I believe you'll love the TSII for what you want to do! You could even do different wings that had different power to match whats on the front if you wanted to, although that would probably be overkill.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
You could even do different wings that had different power to match whats on the front if you wanted to, although that would probably be overkill.

Brandon
sounds like a great idea.

overkill is just much more fun
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Haha! Indeed it is.

Brandon
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:11 AM
Polska, dolnośląskie, Świętoszw
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Hello!
I comes from Poland.
This is my TwinStar:
2 x RAY2845-9 2200KV Brushless
APC 6x4 electric props
2 x Dualsky 40A V2 ESC
Hitec HS-81 on Ailerons and Elevator
2x Dualsky 3250mAh 3S 45C

and video:
TwinStar II.mp4 (1 min 41 sec)

and night fly set:
TS2 z Night Fly NF-3XLe.mp4 (0 min 53 sec)
Genek124 is offline Find More Posts by Genek124
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:51 AM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Adidas, with the right motor, you can fly with different props for different scenarios and wouldn't have to buy 2 sets of motors/wings. About 875-925 kv is a good target for that (what I've got) - you can run 8x6, 9x6, or 9x7.5 for different thrust and speed. I can give some numbers if you're interested. 8x6 would be fun flying / light cargo / efficient; 9x6 would be less efficient / super weight-hauler; 9x7.5 is somewhat between the first two.

Some people mod for flaps, but I think that's just extra weight and complexity if you're going to use it for cargo. Two more wires to plug in through the wing saddle also. I definitely use spoilerons and I think it helps. I don't have them deflecting that much, but every little bit helps. I'll play around with more settings next time I fly and try to find a sweet spot.

Rather than posting all my pics again here, I'll point you to my blog (click "TexasAggie" to the left) to check out my TwinStar build. I've got photos of a hatch that I cut in the fuselage to access the volume in the tail boom. It definitely helps for balance: with a camera on the nose, I got my CG spot on with one battery in the forward compartment and one in the rear.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Aug 19, 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Genek124, that's a very fast TwinStar! I'm guessing easily 100 km/hr or faster. Good job on the lights too! I wouldn't be able to fly with just those. I prefer more (speaking of overkill)!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
The TwinStar is an excellent cargo plane for FPV or AP. It can carry so much it seems almost unbelievable!

Glide performance is surprising, actually, in the good sense. In fact, it can be hard to land if you don't give yourself enough length on final to both get down and slow down.

Low and slow is not a condition I would like to get into with the TwinStar, though, slow is relative of course. If you really stall the TS, you could drop 30 or 40 feet without being able to control it. Your ability to slow down will depend on your skill level and familiarity with the plane.

Summary: good glide; don't get too slow.
What do you think?

TS Low Down (1 min 21 sec)
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:29 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Well I certainly had enough excitement this afternoon. I lost one of my props in-flight! I may have found a good argument for normal-rotating prop! Fortunately, I remained calm and dead-sticked the plane to a safe landing. I did not feel like experimenting with single-engine performance, though I did configure my motors to spin such that if either failed, the remaining one wouldn't create as much torque as if it was spinning the other way. I recovered the prop, but lost the adapter. Total cost of a new pair: $5-10. Moral: Tighten your props and make sure they're balanced!!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:04 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,541 Posts
i've lost an aileron rod in flight before. taken out by a stryker! made it down no problem
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Sep 2004
637 Posts
Wing Retainer Screw Plate Replacement

Well, I was getting ready to put everything together this evening and noticed that one of the wing retainer screw plate halves was missing. The half I'm missing is the one with the attachment clips.

So does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? I would really like to fly it tomorrow (Sunday). If not, I'll call MP on Monday and wait for the part.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
That stinks. I would wait until you get your replacement parts, personally. You could do the Elmers Glue thing if you wanted to put a nylon washer and nut in for now and cut your plane back open after you get the replacement part. I'm too lazy to put it together and take it apart again, so I would just wait. Plus I used CA.

Brandon
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:26 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
728 Posts
I've been in the same situation and I made the piece out of some 4mm plywood with a blind nut. It took some time to position it correctly but It's still in service for 4th year and still walking(flying) strong like Johnnie
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
637 Posts
Thanks for the tips but I think I'll wait for the part. I talked to a rep Multiplex this morning and he said he would ship it out to me that afternoon. I should get it by Wednesday. Besides, I have my hands full figuring out what to do in the next post.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
637 Posts
Wire Routing Help, Please

I bought the performance pack for the TS II and put the motor mount in the nacelle to see the fit. Not good unless Im missing something. It seems that the only way to install the motor in the mount is as pictured. It seems like the MPI outrunner is not the way to go. Im really concerned a lead will contact the spinning casing and short out the esc. I will be using my TS II for aerial photography.

Short of ditching the motors, it looks like I can trim the motor mount at point A to allow the leads clearance to the inside of the nacelle. Then at point B, zip tie the leads through the nacelle (best but not aesthetically pleasing).

Any thoughts, remounting suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. Also, I would like a recommendation on what inrunner to buy if need be. I can use the outrunners for something else.