HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:36 AM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
What size brushless motors are you running?

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
Thanks, cynjon. Where do you get the "white" Gorilla Glue? Lowes/Home Depot? I'm definitely planning on buying more Multiplex planes (at least a Fun Cub I think, with floats for some RC while camping on the lake ), so I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Brandon
Probably available at either one...Here's a link to the "white" GG, and Sumo (which I usually get at Lowes as there is no Home Depot nearby).
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:35 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Re the mounts, I used one of these motor mount options (full version) - guessing you've already seen this anyway.... but yes, seemed to work for me so far, but the plywood version dug into the foam would also work just fine. I liked being able to use the stock mounts. If you use hotglue, expect it to fall out at the slightest bump on landing. Gorialla glue seems to work for me, but it has also allowed me to remove my mounts when I had a problem mounting. Add some other glue on the edges and I don't reckon it would move. Haven't given my TStar a real thrashing on the motors. Several flights so far.
Here's the link to the images:

http://www.4-max.co.uk/customermodels09.htm
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:03 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Rick.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I may have thrown my mounts away. I cannot imagine that I would have done it on purpose, but it really hinders me from using the plywood mounts. I can't seem to find mounts by themselves that don't cost as much as buying new motors, either.

I was going to just use my stock mounts and glue them differently. Last time I put them in, I only glued the tops of them, not the bottom. So I thought I would glue them in with the tops and the sides to kind of reinforce it. Then I saw that one of my motor mounts (the front part the motor screws onto) was beginning to crack. So now I've got to figure out what to do. I've got one spare motor, so I have on mount, and there's still a chance I could find the other one, but who knows. I'm thinking about going over to Hobby Lobby on Friday and picking up two eRC motors.

Thanks again, Rick.

Brandon
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:25 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Found my mounts and got everything put in. Flies great! It did alter the CG quite a bit more than I had anticipated, so it was a little tail heavy and wanted to balloon a lot. Ended up in the top of a small tree on Friday. Got it down and flew it on Saturday. Flew through 3 batteries. 10 minutes flights and only recharged about 700 mAh! Not bad at all! And I spent quite a bit of time surfing in the wind.

Brandon
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Feb 2010
555 Posts
Hi Everyone.... new to the TW2 scene...getting ready to start building mine any day now.

My question is.... I'm looking for an inexpensive motor (state side). Would these Exceed motors from HobbyPartz work w/ 25a esc's ?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m17-opti...215-920kv.html

Item code 75M17-Optima400-2215-920kv
Net Weight (g) 60
Watts 140
Diameter (mm) φ28
Length (mm) 30
No of cells (lipo) 3
max efficiency (%) 85%
max efficiency current (A)?/td> 4-11A
current capacity (A/s) 28A/60S
Shaft Diameter (mm) φ3.17
Shaft Length (mm) 49
Class (SIZE) Optima400

Also... I've read through a ton of pages, but anyone have any good pointers for my build?

D.
dmize is offline Find More Posts by dmize
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
Those look like they'd work great on a 25a esc on the TS.

My pointer would be make sure you're fairly quick in assembling the parts. Even thick CA dries fairly quickly! Its a pretty easy, build, though. Not bad at all. The only thing I was annoyed with was having to channel out a ton of the wing to get the wires in the wing and the channel covers (so to speak) covering them. Make sure you have servo extensions for the ESCs (if you're putting them in the nacelles) and the aileron servos. Once you put that stuff in, it will be a PAIN to take them back out, so choose wisely what you put in. I've determined that if anything in my wings dies (other than motors), I'll be buying a new wing for $30 before I'll be tearing this one apart.

Brandon
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Dmize: Those look very similar to the ones I bought from Hobby Lobby (check out my blog for my TwinStar build - I used this as an excuse to add more photos). 920 KV will work with an APC 8x6, 9x6, or a GWS 9x7.5.

Tips: Plan everything. I spent roughly a week planning mine out and doing various mods, all without gluing anything. Only after I had everything in place did I glue it all down, which took very little time compared to setup. If you're just planning to fly it then you won't need to modify it as extensively as I did mine, since I'm using mine as a camera platform. But you will still need some thought about the ESC location, where to run the wiring, etc. If you do a thorough planning job, you'll end up with a very clean build.

Some other tips I can give before I forget, not related to building:
-Get a Y-harness for the motors; don't expect Tx mixing to be able to keep them in sync. I tried already.
-If you have a good radio, you don't need a Y-harness for the ailerons. This will let you use spoilerons on landing approach, which will decrease your landing distance.
-Counter-rotating props are cool, but, according to others, not necessary. I have them on mine. It's a personal preference.
TexasAggie is online now Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Aug 18, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
179 Posts
Joining the TS-II fuselage halves

dmize, Here's what I did on my Ts-II: I used plain old Elmer's Glue. It has several advantages: You'll have ample time to spread it around the full perimeter of the half you're working with. Join the halves, tape them together and leave the assembly for 24 hrs.

In addition, you'll be able to separate the halves if need be! Merely run a single-edge razor blade along the glue seam using a rocking motion. The control as to the direction of your cut is far superior with the razor blade vs. a partially-controllable X-Acto knife. This separation technique is made possibile due to the slight gumminess of this glue when dried.

The final advantage is that this gumminess gives a certain flexibility in a glued seam which is valuable with other types of models, namely balsa/and ply construction.
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
hey guys, i am looking to use the TSII as a AP platform and was wondering how well it glides?

it looks like it might have to shallow of a glide curve to fly nice and slow.

but since you all have lots of experience with it, what do you guys think?

I will be setting up my rig to take video (stabilized gimble) and still photos of rivers from both High Alt and Low Alt.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:54 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
The TwinStar is an excellent cargo plane for FPV or AP. It can carry so much it seems almost unbelievable!

Glide performance is surprising, actually, in the good sense. In fact, it can be hard to land if you don't give yourself enough length on final to both get down and slow down.

Low and slow is not a condition I would like to get into with the TwinStar, though, slow is relative of course. If you really stall the TS, you could drop 30 or 40 feet without being able to control it. Your ability to slow down will depend on your skill level and familiarity with the plane.

Summary: good glide; don't get too slow.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
very surprising! it will definitely keep gliding right on by ya!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:26 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
cool, i have been flying my PZ T-28 for a while now and can fly it really low and slow and stall and keep it up in the air since it is over powered

so i think if i put the right motors and practice with out my equipment it will be good.

good to know that it can carry the weight and i really like 2 motors with counter rotating props for nice smooth flying.

i am looking at the easystar and skywalker as well, so not quite sure.

thanks for the input
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Nothing beats the sound of twin electric motors spinning in sync!

I can't comment on the Skywalker because I don't have one, but Twin vs. Easy is no contest, frankly. Don't waste your time even considering the EasyStar. The EasyStar is a light utility plane that can carry a moderate amount of cargo/weight. People use it primarily because it's easy to fly. Since you can fly 4 channels, you would sacrifice way too much to use it.

The TwinStar, properly configured, is a heavy lifting plane. You can increase its cargo volume to cavernous levels. I can fit 6 2200 mAh 3S LiPos in mine and I still have empty space! And it can haul weight like no plane I've ever seen. I flew mine at 60 oz and it climbed at at 50 or 60 degree angle. Empty weight is 33 oz. That's almost double!!

No way you're going to get the combination of weight-lifting ability and cargo volume with the EasyStar. I suspect the same is true of the Skywalker.

I am very impressed with the TwinStar and would highly recommend it for your application.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
380 Posts
TexasAggie and lowdive are right on. This thing will float for days. I have a hard time landing it. A good friend of mine also has a TwinStar. He was telling me yesterday that if you can land this plane, you can land just about any plane simply because it just keeps floating so you have to get your approach right!

And it will DEFINITELY carry some weight! Some of the aerial photography TwinStars I've seen have very large almost SLR type cameras on the front of them and carry them with no problem at all. Good stuff!

I do have a friend who does FPV with a Skywalker, though, and really likes it. I would imagine it might be a contender to a TwinStar, but the EasyStar is just in a different place IMO. Its great for what it is, and many people use it successfully, but I cringe every time I see how much the wings flex on a fellow at our local field's EasyStar whenever he flies his.

Brandon