HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:22 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
rudder/elevator servos in stock locations are easy to remove/replace. i glued mine in with CA. needed a servo for something else and just carefully used a knife around the edges to loosen it up. popped right out!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:19 AM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the replies, guys.

I took my fuse out of the box last night and took a look. Should have done that to begin with. The instructions make it look like you sandwich the servos between the two fuselage halves almost completely. But obviously, after looking at the fuse, you don't.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
So probably a no-go since the effect of one 200W motor battling with the other for supremacy would require a lot of work on the sticks ...damn now I'll have to wait for 3 weeks have my twinstar grounded and i destroyed my ez* ...and right now when the weather is so nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
Ah, do you mean the ones with pointed tips? I was thinking of the blank GŁnther props.

You're likely to find the throttle curves aren't identical, so it will pull to one side or the other at different throttle settings. The LVC will be different too. They're highly unlikely to conflict in some weird electronic way and overheat, or anything like that.

I'd use them while you wait for identical ESCs to arrive (but only if you're a confident pilot who could cope with the trim changes)
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
I've finished my TwinStar and it's ready to go! Wind was light earlier but now it's about 10-15 kts so it's a little windy for my liking. In the meantime, I took some photos. I went with the simpler paint scheme. I really like the look of the other one, but masking and painting compound curves on foam would probably not be very fun. I may augment with some vinyl designs - not sure yet.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:32 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Nice, man! That looks really good. What did you paint it with? And how?

Brandon
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:43 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Paint is Krylon Fusion for plastic. I've used their Short Cuts also, but those are in tiny cans. Frankly, the paint doesn't really make a difference - it all comes off quite easily. Whatever doesn't eat the foam is fine.
Masking was done with vinyl tape from a car paint store for the curves and masking tape for broad areas.
Touch-ups were done with a white Sharpie paint pen.
I also sprayed a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic over the top to aid in durability.

Foam is probably one of the hardest things to paint. Nothing sticks very well and it can be hard to do curves like that. Vinyl is a much better option if you're going for small details. If you want details of my paint process, I'll add an entry to my blog. You can check my Radian paint entry to get an idea.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 07:54 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,794 Posts
Multiplex make a specific primer for painting Elapor ... no idea whether you can get it in the US though!

Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
If anyone needs the stock motors, props and wire accesories that come with his plane, i got an extra set. (Brand New BTW) I prefer brushless so i didnt use them!
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Sep 2004
646 Posts
I jut bought a TS2 - can't wait to have it delivered. I am going to use it as my AP platfom. I also purchased the Power Pack as well:
(2) Himax 2812-1080 Brushless Motors
(2) 9 x 6 APC Props, (2) Hub and Driver sets
(2) MULTIcont BL-17 ESC's

Here is my question; with the above system, will a 3 blade setup work well? What prop would anyone recommend (like the Master Airscrew 7X4) I like the look of the 3 blade but don't want to sacrifice performance. Advice welcome.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflipper View Post
I jut bought a TS2 - can't wait to have it delivered. I am going to use it as my AP platfom. I also purchased the Power Pack as well:
(2) Himax 2812-1080 Brushless Motors
(2) 9 x 6 APC Props, (2) Hub and Driver sets
(2) MULTIcont BL-17 ESC's

Here is my question; with the above system, will a 3 blade setup work well? What prop would anyone recommend (like the Master Airscrew 7X4) I like the look of the 3 blade but don't want to sacrifice performance. Advice welcome.
I think a 8x4x3 gws prop will work fine
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingflipper View Post
The calculator I use (http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw..._imperial.html) recommends the APC 9x6, offering 62 oz of thrust with a little over 30A drawn at full throttle. If your ESCs are 17A, this may be cutting it a bit close.

Don't waste your time with 3-blades. Sure they look good when the motor is off, but they're worse - performance is exactly what they sacrifice. You're going to spend most of the time in the air anyway. The only reason to fly with more blades is when you run out of ground clearance and need more thrust. With the TwinStar, 9" props fit perfectly, and 62oz of thrust is a LOT so there's no reason to go to 3-blades.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
646 Posts
Thanks for your inputs both pro and con. The 3 blades do look nice, especially with painted tips but I think I'll start with the "tried and true" and see how it goes from there.

........much obliged.
flyingflipper is offline Find More Posts by flyingflipper
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:21 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Finally maidened my Twinstar today! Didn't go real well, but there were no casualties either. It was really windy, but these motors handled the wind FINE. 10MPH winds and the Twinstar was surfing at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle! However, when my buddy hit the throttle to turn around, we heard flutter. Brought the Twinstar back down, and fortunately there wasn't any damage from the slight flutter we heard, but one of the screws for one of the motors wasn't in right and the motor almost came off. Both are easy to fix, though. I think I'm going to go by Hobby-Lobby Monday and pickup some new rods of some sort.

I can't wait to get all of this stuff tweaked out. This thing is going to fly great! It was amazing to see the flutter just from the prop wash. These things move some air.

So its all still in one piece at least! A few tweaks, and hopefully Monday or Tuesday will bring a longer flight.

Many thanks for everyone's help!

Here's an outline of my model, FWIW:

Turnigy D2830 1000KV Brushless
APC 9x6 electric props
Turnigy AE-25e ESC
Hitec HS-81s on Rudder and Elevator
HXT900s on Ailerons
Orange 2.4Ghz receiver
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C packs ($11!!! Can't beat it).

Brandon
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:48 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Show us some pictures!
Old Aug 07, 2011, 12:04 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Its not much to look at! Didn't want to paint it until I'm at least comfortable flying it.

Here's what it is so far, though...

Brandon