black trim
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:16 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Quote:
For the bottom, I might just do something like this.
I think you'll find that a bit too similar to the top if it ever gets hard to see.

How about:
* a couple of thick black stripes near the fuselage,
* or black/white checkerboard?
* or a stripe down the bottom of the fuselage
* or a stripe along the wing (or diagonally).

You can test a scheme for visibility by converting the image to greyscale, then shrinking it until the wingspan is the width of you finger or less, then stand back a couple of paces.

It's quite common to fly a model far enough away that you could could hide it behind a fingertip of an outstretched - with 35MHz radios, you could judge height by comparing the model to the button on the end of the transmitter aerial. IIRC a 60" model was at 500ft when it was the same size as the button.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:22 AM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
I am still flying my completely stock Twinstar ll using 2s 5000mah battery packs and the original white props. I usually fly for twenty minutes (although I could fly much longer) then land. It still looks brand new and I really enjoy the relaxed high altitude and low and slow flights.
However, I have recently placed velcro on the nose and I occasionally velcro a keychain camera to the nose (works perfectly since it weighs very little and slants downward at a 45 degree angle with no prop in the picture) and it is a great keychain camera platform.
I have recently noticed that the standard replacement prop is now a black prop that seems to be about the same size as the original white one.
I am wondering if the "new" black prop(s) would make a significant difference if I ordered a couple and used them instead.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Stan
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:40 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
It used to be that the white ones where 5x4", and the black ones where 5x5"

If you're using the stock motors with a 2s battery, it would be worth trying 6x4" props ( I suggest APC 'thin electric' props) with a metal prop adapter. It should give a steeper climb and a quieter, more efficient cruise.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:23 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Ok, I have a quick question. Are you not able to switch out your tail servos after putting this thing together? Or is it just much more of a pain after putting the fuse together?

Also, are HS-55s enough? I'm thinking they should be fine on ailerons, but I'm thinking about putting some HS-82MGs in the rudder and elevator in case I want to do FPV one day.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL View Post
Also, are HS-55s enough? I'm thinking they should be fine on ailerons, but I'm thinking about putting some HS-82MGs in the rudder and elevator in case I want to do FPV one day.

Brandon
The Twin-Star II is designed for 4 Tiny-S (= HS-81). The servo nacelles fit this type of servos perfectly. I would not go for an 8g servo when a 17g servo provides much stronger gears. The additional weight is negligible on such a model.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:42 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Ok, thanks Jurgen.

What happens if I have a servo issue later on? Are these still replaceable after the fuse has been put together?

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:46 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Use hot glue and you'll be able to cut the servos out later if need be. I put my tail servos in the tail boom itself instead of up front.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:46 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
It used to be that the white ones where 5x4", and the black ones where 5x5"

If you're using the stock motors with a 2s battery, it would be worth trying 6x4" props ( I suggest APC 'thin electric' props) with a metal prop adapter. It should give a steeper climb and a quieter, more efficient cruise.
The black MPX ones which replaced the white Günther props in all MPX kits are 5x4 and draw less current than the whites. Should be slightly more efficient at higher speeds but I guess the famous "variable pitch effect" is more pronounced with the whites resulting in higher static thrust than the blacks (whose blades keept their pitch under load).
I don't think the black ones are a big improvment, and I would also suggest getting the APC 6x4 or the TGS/EMP 6x4 when using 2s lipos for reduced noise and more thrust. Since less throttle is needed for cruising or accellerating one has the feeling of much more power. Extended periods of WOT should be avoided for longer motor life. For running in new motors I would use the whites or the MPX 5x4 to reduce brush wear.

cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:01 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
I don't think the black ones are a big improvment ...
The white Günther props are actually quite good, despite their "toy-like" looks. While the new black MPX might not provide a noticeable difference regarding performance, I think they definitely look better.

Jürgen
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:17 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Is it a definite no-no to run two different escs, for example plush 40A and rctimer (which is sort of plush they say) 30A...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Is it a definite no-no to run two different escs, for example plush 40A and rctimer (which is sort of plush they say) 30A...
It depends:

If both ESCs are basically identical and just sold under a different label, no problem.

If the characteristics of the ESC differ, the answer is "No".

Normally you can expect the ESC with the higher current rating to have a lower internal resistance, i.e. this ESC will pass a higher voltage to the motor.

Considering the low price of BL-ESCs nowadays, it is not worse the hassle trying to "synchronize" two different ESCs.

Jürgen
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Yeah low price but long wait ...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:05 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Quote:
The black MPX ones which replaced the white Günther props in all MPX kits are 5x4 and draw less current than the whites.
Ah, do you mean the ones with pointed tips? I was thinking of the blank Günther props.

Quote:
You're likely to find the throttle curves aren't identical, so it will pull to one side or the other at different throttle settings. The LVC will be different too. They're highly unlikely to conflict in some weird electronic way and overheat, or anything like that.

I'd use them while you wait for identical ESCs to arrive (but only if you're a confident pilot who could cope with the trim changes)