SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:16 AM
Norway
Joined May 2004
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantheman View Post
Or, you could save yourself a LOT of trouble and money by just getting the plug n play or bind and fly and using a 2s 5000 mah battery. It flys just GREAT in that configuration and is probably just about perfect for your dad!
It's "easy to see in the sky, VERY stable, doesn't go too fast" AND can easily fly for fifteen to twenty minutes!
My own TSII is equipped with a pretty much stock setup (long-can S400 motors and 3S batteries) and it flys great.
The problem with this approach is that my dad wants something that'll fly a little "sporty" (like being able to climb vertically and tow stuff around). At first, we were going for an Acromaster because it seemed like the plane which had all he wanted, but because we don't have a strip to land, only an area of quite bumpy grass, that idea was scrapped.

Now, I know that it's not possible to fly a TSII like an Acromaster, but it would be nice to have at least some of that raw performance, and the prices of most BL equipment from Hobbyking is pretty low.
Twin-Jet-Crash is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Jet-Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:56 AM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
736 Posts
Twin-Jet-Crash, don't want to seem rude but there are dozens of answers to your questions on this very thread.... Did you try to use a ""search" function?
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
Norway
Joined May 2004
255 Posts
Sorry if it seemed like I just took the easy way and popped up a question. I've been reading through the last 100 pages or so of this thread without getting much wiser from it.
It seems most BL setups with the TSII are by people loading it up with FPV equipment, which is very far from what I had in mind.

The search function did make me a little wiser though, as I found this picture.
I also found this post in a different thread. So I do know how to mount the ESC and motor now.

So, I've also done some research around the HK website and found this Turnigy motor, which seems to be nice, swinging 7x4" props on 3S 2200mAh LiPos.
Any comments on such a setup?

Also, I'd still love to hear experiences with ESCs running in twins. Which works the best?
And would these servos work fine, or are there other ones which would be better?
Twin-Jet-Crash is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Jet-Crash
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:29 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Yep your on the right track. I think those servos are a bit large, the HXT900's are a perect choice for most planes out there.

I used those 1650kv motors you referenced. Just make sure you stick to the recommended props. Realize that an 8x6 prop slowfly is not the same as a thin electric. I made the mistake of trying to over prop it with a slowfly 8x6 and burned em up pretty quick.

A 7x4 thin electric is as big as you wanna go on a 3 cell. Performance is just fine.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:36 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
While those look like clean ESC installations, they appear to have very long battery leads. That apparently is very bad for brushless ESCs.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
While those look like clean ESC installations, they appear to have very long battery leads. That apparently is very bad for brushless ESCs.
I've heard this argument as well for quite some time. However, I have my ESC's wedged into the slot at the rear of the nacelles connected to the battery in the fuselage through "Y" harness and homemade long leads. 30+ flights with no problems, so who knows ????
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
Registered RC Abuser
United States, NY, Bernhards Bay
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Jet-Crash View Post
I know we'll need two ESCs, but where do everyone install them? I'd try putting them inside the nacelle together with the motors, but there might be other better ideas?
The ESC to motor wire length should not exceed 8" or 200mm. I have 30 amp Hobbypartz ESCs in the nacelles, way more than I needed, so they stay cold.

Also BECs from 2 separate ESCs should NOT be paralleled, they will 'fight' each other. I opted to run a dedicated BEC (Hyperion Ticool) so both ESC BECs are disabled, but I left the + wire on both ESC leads intact, and my Y harness has the + removed. This way the ESCs are still easily programmable.

I started with Hyperion Z2205 outrunners, but those burned up on a hard climb attempt. I now have 2 Optima 370 1360kv turning wood 7x6 props, those are working very well and I still get 10-12 minutes easily with a 3S 2200 30C pack.
transient is offline Find More Posts by transient
Last edited by transient; Sep 25, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:37 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
I carved out some foam to make the ESCs fit semi-flush.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:49 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
From what I understand the only critical dimension is the motor-to-ESC wire length, 8" max as I mentioned. Apparently too long will cause impedance/emf/ issues. But the battery to ESC wire length is not critical, provided you have some extra wire gauge to make up for the extra length.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:00 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
736 Posts
I've mounted my ESC's the same way (in nacelles) and they've been doing a good job since 3 yrs or so. Motors wise I'd go with something 1100kv-ish puttting out some 150W to spin some larger props, for efficiency's sake.
Servos, as already been mentioned, are a bit on a heavy side, also if you read their comments on HC they've got problems with gears stripping. I'd say use decent 9g servos, if you plane on steerable gear then get a 15g MG servo for rudder/nose wheel.
Get a standalone BEC and disconnect those ESC's BECs.
No problems running ESCs in twins as long as they control equal motors equally propped.
Good luck
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:32 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient View Post
From what I understand the only critical dimension is the motor-to-ESC wire length, 8" max as I mentioned. Apparently too long will cause impedance/emf/ issues. But the battery to ESC wire length is not critical, provided you have some extra wire gauge to make up for the extra length.
Not according to the Castle Creation techs...the critical wire length is the battery-ESC wires, not the motor wires. Discussion found here in this thread.

That being said, I've run longer wires on BOTH sides of the ESC without any issues...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
From Castle and Astro Flight I was told cable runs less than 12" (and maybe up to 18") shouldn't be a problem from either Bat-to-ESC or ESC-to-Motor. Long ESC-to-Motor leads are the better/safer choice though.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I've mounted my ESC's the same way (in Get a standalone BEC and disconnect those ESC's BECs.

+1.. again

No problems running ESCs in twins as long as they control equal motors equally propped.
Another tip from about 50 miles back in this thread, using soft cutoff will prevent one motor cutting out before the other.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:42 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Long ESC-to-Motor leads are the better/safer choice though.
Hmm, I'd always heard the other way around.

My battery to ESC wires are probably 14" or so, then Y'd in with two separate deans. 130+ flights and no issues there for me
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
Not according to the Castle Creation techs...the critical wire length is the battery-ESC wires, not the motor wires. Discussion found here in this thread.

That being said, I've run longer wires on BOTH sides of the ESC without any issues...
Thanks for the link, I'll certainly trust CC.