HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:25 AM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
[QUOTE=EyeFlyPlanes;15940073]

Can you post a pic of your motor mounts and configuration?

I used the same motor mounts that I designed initially:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6859

I had to scoop out a small amount of foam at the back of the nacelle to make it work. I think the key was to be sure that the final fit set the motors at about a 3 degree down angle, also I used counter rotating props to help it track true. Your motors ostensibly are the same size as my rimfires, so the same approach should work for you. The tin is lightweight and the wings on the side help to hold it in place with goop or CA. The white cross foam piece show in the 2nd pic here is just to protect the wires, the end of the mount is just to the right of the red/yellow wires shown. IMO just glueing a piece of plywood across the nacelle will not provide sufficient holding for these larger motors...when I used the stock motor mount gooped in place, the motor flew out of the nacelle, hence the bat wings for added strength so that it's held in three places. I also thought Quigley had a great motor mount, albeit I like the strength of the tin that also acts as a heat sink, and by using the stock motor mount integrated into the design it is easier to line up the motors in the recess of the nacelles. Both of our approaches use the side wings for added strength.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post10047411
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Last edited by sylifis; Sep 04, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:23 PM
So. Calif.
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
IMO, I've found the perfect fitting HD 1080P camera for the TSII....it's the VholdR HD by Contour. You can see their side by side comparison between their cam, the GoPro, VIO, and Oregon Sci cams, here: http://contour.com/contourhd/videos?vid=7

The Vholdr HD is only 4 ounces...and notice that the bottom shape is an exact match for the canopy tab/slot of the TSII. I took a spare canopy and split it into two halves, then I hollowed out the insides to match the cam. The canopy is held by two rare earth magnets. The cam is capable of recording several hours of HD.

I've used this camera before on my EZGP shown here so you can see how it performs....I think it looks the best on the Vimeo.com page.

It's FLYDAY (10 min 8 sec)
sylifis is offline Find More Posts by sylifis
Last edited by sylifis; Sep 06, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:58 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylifis View Post
IMO, I've found the perfect HD 1080P camera for the TSII....it's the VholdR HD by Contour.
Interesting, but doesn't have any image stabilisation?? I'm not personally a fan of the ultra-wideangle lenses (like the GoPro has, too) either.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:13 PM
East SF bay
Joined Apr 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylifis View Post
IMO, I've found the perfect HD 1080P camera for the TSII....it's the VholdR HD by Contour. You can see their side by side comparison between their cam, the GoPro, VIO, and Oregon Sci cams, here: http://contour.com/contourhd/videos?vid=7

The Vholdr HD is only 4 ounces...and notice that the bottom shape is an exact match for the canopy tab/slot of the TSII. I took a spare canopy and split it into two halves, then I hollowed out the insides to match the cam. The canopy is held by two rare earth magnets. The cam is capable of recording several hours of HD.

I've used this camera before on my EZGP shown here so you can see how it performs....I think it looks the best on the Vimeo.com page.

http://vimeo.com/5499597
Nice production! I like the VholdR, too. I use it in my Quad rotor. A lot easier to use, though I don't care for the software that came with it much. Camera controls are okay, though. I like the high speed to get rid of stop action. Shorter recording, though...Tony P>S No image stab.
antonlubo is offline Find More Posts by antonlubo
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:39 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin4 View Post
I run 2 of these http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store..._1400Kv_/_470w

with 30amp esc and 9x4,7 apc props.

I use a 3s 5000mah battery 20-30c (408gr) + pan/tilt + gopro hd, so its heavy.

In level flight i get it upto 107km/h

I haven't really tested the plane for climb, but today i did.

It took me 6min to reach the height of 800m and a distance of 1200m. I used approx 3200mah on just this.

For me, i think it was too much mah's spent. Even on takeoff, it eats around 400-500mah(until i get my goggles on)

Even in level slow flight(approx 50-60km/h) i think it eats up alot of mahs.

My need is a powerful motor that can make the plane climb fast to my desired height without draining too much, and not use alot of mah on level flight.

Any ideas guys?

Am all up for switching motors(has to be cheap chinese) and escs. Or should i maybe check timing for the escs?? Go 4s?
I've been using these Turnigy 2217/16 with 9x6E props. It will takeoff vertically out of my hand and cruise at 7-10 amps yeilding 20+ minutes from a 3000mah battery. Will haul a 15oz DSLR camera.
My Watts-up meter shows 39.96 amps peak, 423.1 watts at 11.39 volts.

P.S. The only thing I did different for mounting is turn the mounts around backwards so I could use the prop adapter instead of prop saver.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:40 PM
Autonomous Vehicles
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Dec 2007
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes View Post
Sylifis! Congrats on a successful maiden! I am stuck right now in my build because I cant get my motors to mount right.

Can you post a pic of your motor mounts and configuration?

I just ordered the same size motors here...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

Pics would really help - Thanks!
EyeFlyPlanes,

I have convinced Micro Dan to build a complete Twinstar II motor mount (firewall + nacelle) out of aluminum. Micro Dan already makes the an aluminum version of the Twinstar II firewall and I have them installed in the stock plastic nacelle mounts. There are machined slots in the aluminum firewall that let cooling air through the outrunner unlike the stock plastic firewall. The combined aluminum firewall + nacelle motor mount should be very robust, but will still need to be anchored securely in the foam nacelle.

See this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1778

Regards,
TCIII
TCIII is offline Find More Posts by TCIII
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:20 AM
Stavern/Larvik - Norway
Joined Dec 2008
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
I've been using these Turnigy 2217/16 with 9x6E props. It will takeoff vertically out of my hand and cruise at 7-10 amps yeilding 20+ minutes from a 3000mah battery. Will haul a 15oz DSLR camera.
My Watts-up meter shows 39.96 amps peak, 423.1 watts at 11.39 volts.

P.S. The only thing I did different for mounting is turn the mounts around backwards so I could use the prop adapter instead of prop saver.
How much does your twinstar weigh?

Im suspecting that the slowflyer props im using are flexing to much, but im not sure. i will give you results when i try out a couple of 9x6 apc props that are almost double the thickness of the ones i have, and they do not bend!
robin4 is offline Find More Posts by robin4
Old Sep 09, 2010, 12:19 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,502 Posts
Paint and Glue

What si the best glue to use on the twinstar?

What is the best paint? do you need The multiplex primer or is it not worth it?

i read on a forum that some guy was having good reults with plasti kote and no primer.

Thanks

Brett
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:37 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Im suspecting that the slowflyer props im using are flexing to much, but im not sure. i will give you results when i try out a couple of 9x6 apc props that are almost double the thickness of the ones i have, and they do not bend!
You know, I'm not really sure ???? It's been repaired once and has clear packing tape on the entire lower half of the fuselage (for a little added strength and scuff protection). I'll put her on the scale tonight when I get home. It's just a basic setup.
I used some 9x4.7 SF props with propsavers and had big time flex and cavitation issues. (Not really the proper setup, but it worked) With these 9x6's it moves more sprightly and no issues.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:40 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
What si the best glue to use on the twinstar?

What is the best paint? do you need The multiplex primer or is it not worth it?

i read on a forum that some guy was having good reults with plasti kote and no primer.

Thanks

Brett
For glue I used medium CA and Gorilla. Not sure about the paint. I used airbrush acrylic (water-based) without any problems, but if you stick packing tape to it parts will come off when removing the tape.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:32 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
12,040 Posts
SF props have low power & rpm limits and are liable to shed a blade if pushed - not recommended!

For example - a 9" APC-SF should be limited to just 7,200 rpm, whereas 9" APC-E is safe up to 16,100 rpm.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Ok...37.7 oz with the 3000 mah FlightMax battery. If my calculations are correct, that's in the neighborhood of 180 watts per pound.
Last edited by sawman; Sep 10, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:52 AM
Stavern/Larvik - Norway
Joined Dec 2008
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Ok...37.7 oz with the 3000 mah FlightMax battery. If my calculations are correct, that's in the neighborhood of 180 watts per pound.
Mine weighs 69,5oz with a 5000mah battery. Its raining now, so i haven't had a chance to test it with the other prop and with reconfigured cg
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Mine weighs 69,5oz with a 5000mah battery. Its raining now, so i haven't had a chance to test it with the other prop and with reconfigured cg
Wow, that is a load ! My DSLR camera adds 15oz to bring the total to 52.7. No problem carrying the extra weight, but it acted as though the CG had moved. Doubled checked it before flying and it was in the right spot. My thinking is the extra drag as it was mounted on top of the wing instead of removing the canopy and mounting it there. Plan to try that next and move the battery back to balance. Kinda scary with a $300+ camera !

I'm also working towards an FPV setup. Not sure about pan & tilt.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:50 AM
Stavern/Larvik - Norway
Joined Dec 2008
798 Posts
hi

Here's a picture of my plane