HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:39 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
179 Posts
TS II Wings O.K.? --- Part-2

In Post #6100 I said that my TS II wings SLOPE DOWNWARD toward the tips by about 3/4 inch. Is this normal?

Jürgen says, " No - this is not normal. My panels are 4+ years old and still straight."

sparkie624 asks, "Could you have not gotten the support for the Fiberglass/Carbon rod mounted correctly, or is it just the tips"?

No, it's NOT just the tips, the entire trailing edge BOWS uniformly from root to tip. Unfortunately, The leading edge appears perfectly straight, and the CF rod fits O.K. ! I'm afraid this gives me WASH-IN and the thing will never fly! If it still won't fly, should I go with REFLEXED AILERONS to counter the wash-in?

It woudn't fly on my first attempts, simply gliding in a straight line for about 15 ft. After this, I lightened it by taking out one of the (paralled) lipos and enough tail weights to balance. It now only weighs 39 oz., and may fly after having lost about 5.1 oz., still with stock motors.

One odd note: looking at the model on the ground, standing behind it, it appears to be a GULL-WINGED plane. Cool looking! But maybe heading for a HANGAR QUEEN status?
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:39 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Kee
One odd note: looking at the model on the ground, standing behind it, it appears to be a GULL-WINGED plane. Cool looking! But maybe heading for a HANGAR QUEEN status?
Were your wing panels always like this? How about putting them in hot water and bringing them back to normal shape?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:23 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnochs
My version of the TwinStar2
2 - 1000kv 28x30 outrunners
8x6 MA 3 blade propellers
Current draw is only 12 amps at full throttle (per motor)
Fine looking conversion, and lovely pictures!
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:32 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Fine looking conversion, and lovely pictures!
Agree, much nicer than this conversion:

http://www.rc-wasserflieger.at/images/fels040905_09.jpg

Jürgen
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:11 PM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Would anybody advise me what is better for brushless powering - both props rotating the same direction or props counter rotating. Will use separate ESC both each motor.

Thanks for ideas.
Medvidek is offline Find More Posts by Medvidek
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medvidek
Would anybody advise me what is better for brushless powering - both props rotating the same direction or props counter rotating.
Won't make any significant difference.

Much wider choice of props if both motors are turning the same way.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Thanks Bill. I am thinking about making flaps and I want to supply half of servos from one BEC and the other half of servo including Rx from the other one. I would like to try to manage it all by 5 channels Rx I have at the moment - both motors on one channel, ailerons second channel, elevator - third, rudder - forth and flaps - fifth channel. What do you thing about - I am not exactly new in R/C but have no experience with twins.
Medvidek is offline Find More Posts by Medvidek
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:12 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
5 channels will be fine.

It's not necessary to have the ailerons on seperate channels unless you want them to act as spoilerons or flapperons (which with dedicated flaps you won't).

Just use a Y lead for the aileron servos (my TS1 is set up this way), and another for the ESCs.

You will need some clever wiring to split the power supply to the servos. Might be easier to either get ESCs with a powerful enough BEC on board that one will do the job, or use a single external BEC.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
It's not necessary to have the ailerons on seperate channels unless you want them to act as spoilerons or flapperons (which with dedicated flaps you won't).
Seperate aileron channels make it easier to program differential.

Jürgen
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Seperate aileron channels make it easier to program differential.
Agreed. But on a plane like the TS it's not critical to have an exact amount of differential, so doing it mechanically by angling the servo arms is good enough IMO.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:32 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Kee

It woudn't fly on my first attempts, simply gliding in a straight line for about 15 ft. After this, I lightened it by taking out one of the (paralled) lipos and enough tail weights to balance. It now only weighs 39 oz., and may fly after having lost about 5.1 oz., still with stock motors.

MPX does not recommend hand-gliding this plane. Page 10 of the English language section. Second column, beginning of second paragraph.

in bold letters " Do not attempt fo hand-glide this model!"

I suspect there must be a reason this brick won't hand-glide too well.

Sounds like your best avenue is to contact the vendor and see about exchanging the wings. Hitec may be able to help you if the vendor is unwilling.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Agreed. But on a plane like the TS it's not critical to have an exact amount of differential, so doing it mechanically by angling the servo arms is good enough IMO.
To achieve the recommended 18mm up / 10mm down symmetrically on both wing panels can be a bit tricky to set up purely mechanically.

Jürgen
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comm69
MPX does not recommend hand-gliding this plane. Page 10 of the English language section. Second column, beginning of second paragraph.

I suspect there must be a reason this brick won't hand-glide too well.
They say the same in the instruction manual of the EasyStar glider:

Don’t try unpowered test-glides with this model!

The target group for these models are beginners who often do not know how to launch a model correctly. For them it is easier to launch with the motors on and climb to a safe height first.

Jürgen
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
179 Posts
TS II Wings O.K.? -- Part 3

Per Comm69:

"MPX does not recommend hand-gliding this plane. Page 10 of the English language section. Second column, beginning of second paragraph.
I suspect there must be a reason this brick won't hand-glide too well."

No, I wasn't hand-gliding my TS II, It was at WOT! The "flight path" was such that it descended in a perfectly straight line to a point about about 15ft. away, hitting the ground on that precise angle! I was tossing it pretty hard, straight ahead.

You also said:
"Sounds like your best avenue is to contact the vendor and see about exchanging the wings. Hitec may be able to help you if the vendor is unwilling."

My 1st thought was to replace the wing panels through BP Hobbies at: http:/bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V904007

Multiplex Twin Star II Wing (M224172) $30.56 --- (Tower Hobbies wants $37.99).

I would hate to give up the many hours it took to install landing gear to imitate the ones used on the Fokker 50, a well-distributed short-haul airliner used on 5 continents. It's has tricycle gear with the stork-legged mains descending from the engine nacelles. See how it resembles the TS II at:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/KLM-C.../Fo06327/L/&tb

The result of all my work is a sort or "FAUX-ker 50"

Maybe I'll start with Jürgen's heat-treatment fix.

Virg.
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
To achieve the recommended 18mm up / 10mm down symmetrically on both wing panels can be a bit tricky to set up purely mechanically.
I did it easily enough on my TS1.

And I would happily recommend it as a solution for those who don't have a computer radio and RX channels to spare.