http://www.modelspot.com/mpx/twinstar2.htm
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2008, 04:15 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
The biggest difference was that TSI was made from beer cooler styrofoam versus the Elapor of the TSII.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Aug 08, 2008, 04:47 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
Well I'm glad I did'nt buy the 1st version!! Thanks
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Aug 09, 2008, 03:06 AM
Near Koblenz
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
Well I'm glad I did'nt buy the 1st version!! Thanks
There is nothing wrong with the first version. I have 4 of them.

The biggest difference is the foam. And you can balance the 2nd one better, if you fly LiPos. The first one is a little cramped in the front part.

Uli
G_eronimo is offline Find More Posts by G_eronimo
Old Aug 09, 2008, 11:50 PM
St. Charles, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
668 Posts
Brushless Motors

I have had the TwinStar II for quiet a while now. After melting the original motors I replaced them with AXI 2028 brushless motors (don't remember the full number and I am out of town). The 3s 4000 Lipoly is a snug fit in the nose. I added plastic pill bottle bottoms to act as a cowling for the motors. Then I added trike gear. It's well worth it.

It is a wonderful flyer, smooth and graceful while going slow and even more so at full throttle. I use exponential in the control surfaces which works great. It will go straight up from takeoff until out of my sight (had to spin down to see it again- not the best idea I ever had) and still do great big loops when the voltage is down. Flight time is at least 15 minutes (never measured).

While the Speed 400 size could be considered a trainer because of the toughness of the foam the brushless version is a dynamite sport flyer and capable of all sport maneuvers.

It is an airplane worth buying and one that will stay along a long time regardless of propulsion system.

Ben
Ben Lanterman is offline Find More Posts by Ben Lanterman
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:59 AM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
I agree about the handling characteristics. I have my low rates set at the MPX recommended maximums and my high rates at the most that I could get out of the servos (HS81s on the elevator and rudder and S133s on the ailerons). It performs excellent spins and snaps with maximum throws. It is capable of some very weird outside snap/spin maneuvers when set on high rates. A real joy to fly on brushless power.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:27 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Hi All
Is there a build log some place on ,Putting Tricycle Gear On the Twin Star II ? If there is could you point me to it ? I did a search came up with mentions of it being done but no build log .
Thank you .
Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
732 Posts
Jerry, I don't think you need a blog for adding uc gear to ur TS. There are some photos on this thread (way back though) and it's pretty straight-forward. Main gear has to be slightly behind the CG, its height must provide enough props' clearance, and the front gear usually mounts to the front wall of the battery compartment and is driven by rudder servo (mine) or dedicated servo.
Just get creative

Edited:
Here you'll fing some info about FLAB's mod, a couple of pages later there are mine
bobber is offline Find More Posts by bobber
Last edited by bobber; Aug 11, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber
Jerry, I don't think you need a blog for adding uc gear to ur TS. There are some photos on this thread (way back though) and it's pretty straight-forward. Main gear has to be slightly behind the CG, its height must provide enough props' clearance, and the front gear usually mounts to the front wall of the battery compartment and is driven by rudder servo (mine) or dedicated servo.
Just get creative

Edited:
Here you'll fing some info about FLAB's mod, a couple of pages later there are mine
Hi Bobber
Thank you so much , Have not got a Twin Star II YET, But am very much thinking about One. I have an Easy Star so the Twin Star II would be a step up .
Again thank you
Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
OK, I just picked up my RR (Radio Ready) Twinstar II from my local Hobby Store. I paid 149 us dollars. I plan to paint the plane..... Do I really need to sand it? I will start to search this thread for painting.......
I did ask the LHS if the Kit version was also available and they said it was..... Horizon Hobby Distributors has them in stock and your lhs can order it for you....

Mike
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
732 Posts
Jerry, never mind, I'm trying to give back what I've taken from this forum Get a TS as soon as you can, it won't disappoint you.
tr6world, you don't really NEED to sand it but if you do you'll find the result to be much better. Those mould pox marks are horrible..... And don't forget to clean it well with rubbing alcohol before painting, they use some sort of mould release agent and it's a kind of lubrificant.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
555 Posts
Thanks for the painting tips Bobber...... By the way, I have some 11.1v 1800 MAH 3cell lipos and I have been trying to find out (using the search) if I can use these batteries with the stock twinstar 2 setup? Will it burn up the stock bec/speed control? Anyone?
Thanks,
Mike
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,764 Posts
I'm not sure what size the stock RTF ESC is, but a 3S will certainly burn out your stock cann motors earlier...probably over-drive your ESC too as most stock setups seem to be just barely what's needed without much overhead for future growth...plus it probably doesn't have LiPo LVC built into it...but all the better if it does. Now a 2S LiPo would be fine...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
Flyin brick
Joined Feb 2005
732 Posts
Mike, Vantasstic gave you advise on stock setup. Now I'd allow myself giving you another: go for brushless setup and ditch those brushed motors. Virtually any motor with kV of ~1000-1150 and max Amp draw of 10-15A would work a dream. For ESC you'd need a 18A ones. Anyway you'd put them in when you'll burn the stock ones.
My $0.02
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:39 PM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
I was planning on putting a pair of these on mine when I pick one up. Fairly cheap, plenty of power and like bobber said, a pair of 18A ESCs would do fine.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon