HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:17 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_H
I am 6 flights, a few loops, rolls and inverted flights (crash-free!! YAY!!) into the game
Welcome, and if the TSII is the first model you've ever flown that's amazing! Do you have someone instructing, or r/c simulator time? The airline pilots I've taught all took a while to get their heads around the orientation issues (e.g. left/right "reversing" as the a/c flies towards you) ... which of course don't apply in full-size aviation.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:30 AM
Norway
Joined May 2004
255 Posts
Just a little question about the stock motors, to anyone who knows..

I've just ordered some APC E props (replacing Graupner CAM Slim) with reverse rotation.

The props I ordered are 6x4E and 6x4EP (going to be running 2S LiPo).
Question is: Are the motors neutrally timed, or are they optimized to be pulling the plane with normal props? Any quick guide to change that would be nice.

Oh, if anyone's interested in these props (should be better than running old Super Nylon props), I got them from Ecubed RC.
Twin-Jet-Crash is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Jet-Crash
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
Learnin' to Fly....
Sinsheim, Germany
Joined Nov 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover
Welcome, and if the TSII is the first model you've ever flown that's amazing! Do you have someone instructing, or r/c simulator time? The airline pilots I've taught all took a while to get their heads around the orientation issues (e.g. left/right "reversing" as the a/c flies towards you) ... which of course don't apply in full-size aviation.
HI Bill..

Yes,, I confess to Sim time which really helped resolve the issue of reversal, and also helped to get a feel of how much control input brings how much response in pitch, roll, yaw.
Understanding basic flight principles helps a lot too, regarding how to bring the airplane onto a stable approach for landing, use of thrust, etc. and these are what I already know, of course.
What's intriguing me now is all the expertise regarding modifications, use of better props, motors, skin covering, etc. which you guys bring to the table.. This forum is worth just a whole lot of trial and even more error before finding out what works..
I'm away on a flight right now, and get back home tomorrow afternoon.. You can bet your that I am headed for the field, TSII in hand !!

Derek
Derek_H is offline Find More Posts by Derek_H
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:19 AM
United States, MN, Big Lake
Joined Sep 2003
272 Posts
TJC-

Yes the stock motors are neutrally timed. There is a key that sets the timing between the motor can and brush endbell at one of the motor terminal lugs. You can advance the timing by ten degrees by loosening the four crimps of the can over the endbell and bending a tab on the can out of the way so you can spin the endbell one notch against the prop rotation.

They say that a timing advance does more for the efficiency but I think it gives a slightly higher effective KV for the motor as well. If you are using a 2s Li-Po, I think it would help spin those props a little faster.

I'm running GWS HD 7x3.5 props on 8-cell Nimh's with 10 degree advance & flux rings on the stock motors. This setup does very well for both power and duration but wouldn't be a good setup for someone who flies at WOT for most of a flight.
Aerospacer is offline Find More Posts by Aerospacer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
A bit more on timing advance

Sellers of the can motors want them to be universally usable, so unless they are marked otherwise, they are always neutrally timed.

The only timed motors I can think of offhand are Zagi reverse-timed motors. But they charge a premium for them. Some of the older, high quality brushed motors are probably timed too. (such as Astro Flight)
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:36 AM
Irvine, Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
A bit more on timing advance

Sellers of the can motors want them to be universally usable, so unless they are marked otherwise, they are always neutrally timed.

The only timed motors I can think of offhand are Zagi reverse-timed motors. But they charge a premium for them. Some of the older, high quality brushed motors are probably timed too. (such as Astro Flight)
Aircraft World sell the Hyper QRP timed motors. I am sure they must be available in the states. Certainly available here in the UK.

http://aircraft-world.com/shopdispla...motors+%2D+400

Tony
ModelTony is offline Find More Posts by ModelTony
Old Dec 07, 2006, 11:21 PM
N. Ill.
Joined Jul 2006
102 Posts
Well - I've been flying for 6 months or so now and have acquired many of the Multiplex planes (TS, ES, MiniMag, Mag), and so far the TwinStar is by far my favorite. Powered by 2 of the Frio 10/10 motors, 2 TB18's, and 2 APC 9x6 sf, I am pulling 30A and can get over 30min flying time from a 4000mah 3 cell Lipo.

After a few rough lessons, my original TS was looking a bit ragged, so I have decided to build a new TS. This time I am adding Tricycle landing gear. Everything appears to be working well, but I am concerned as once I glue up the fuselage, I will not have access to much of the front landing gear.

I've attached a few pics of the set up I've devised. I basically just drilled a 5/32" hole in a block of maple, then glued a flat piece of aluminum to the front side to 1) help prevent the maple block from twisting, and 2) give me additional surface area for gluing. Before I seal this up, does anyone see anything horribly wrong I should fix? I just don't want to have to take it apart again to fix something that would be obvious to others with more experience.

Thanks,
UnPossible
UnPossible is offline Find More Posts by UnPossible
Old Dec 08, 2006, 03:24 AM
When I'm not flying......
Emsworth, UK
Joined Jan 2004
103 Posts
Hi UnPossible,
The only comment I have about this setup is that the steering arm looks very short. This is likely to make the steering very sensitve until the plane gets going fast enought for the rudder to have authority. Those with more experience may disagree, but I'd make it a little longer.
toni.b-r is offline Find More Posts by toni.b-r
Old Dec 08, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
San Diego
Joined Dec 2005
156 Posts
Hi UnPossible,

I would agree with toni.b-r. If you have a longer arm I would use that. The steering arm in my TSII is a little longer but I still have expo dialed in to make it less sensitive.

Shawn
Hitec/Multiplex
sspiker is offline Find More Posts by sspiker
Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:34 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Hi Fellas. If there's anyone who is thinking of upgrading their TS2 to brushless, I thought I'd mention that the motors I used are on sale for $46 a pop. They're really nice inrunners. (Warp 4, 5 turn) I think they're discontinued, so once these are gone, that's it. When I bought mine last year, they were about $10 more than this.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1329

Data:
http://www.allerc.com/Pictures/BL4a5.pdf

Anyhow, I really like mine and I thought I'd give a heads-up, because as soon as they're out, I'm sure someone will post: "Does anyone know of a high-quality inrunner for a good price for the TS2?"

...or, if you just want to replace the Permax 400s that you toasted with the 3S LiPos, those are on sale for $3 apiece!
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=490
Old Dec 17, 2006, 01:31 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,164 Posts
Just FYI, those are 7.2 volt motors at allerc for $3, not 6 volt, as come with the TSII.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
i have a tricycle configuration landing gear on my TS II. I want to swith it to a tail dragger. The tri gear, is just not working out all that well.

For those that have put on a tail dragger landing gear....where or at what point did you put the main landing gear ??

Thanks
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231
Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
Normal tail draggers have the main gear axle in line with the wing LE. To far back from there and you'll keep nosing over, to far forward and it's hard to rotate smoothly.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2006, 11:56 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1231
..where or at what point did you put the main landing gear ??
Thanks
Mine is about 2" forward of the leading edge. It was at the leading edge, but as mentioned above it was hard to get the throttle open without tipping the nose into the grass. At 2" I can be sure that once the tail has lifted it's ready to lift off.

Peter
PeterO_UK is offline Find More Posts by PeterO_UK
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:21 AM
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
Just FYI, those are 7.2 volt motors at allerc for $3, not 6 volt, as come with the TSII.
Yeah, I saw that. That would allow you to go with slighly larger props, which is a good thing for this plane, IMO.