HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2005, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Z
Would the TwinStar make a good aileron trainer? I love my EZ* but want to graduate to an aileron plane.

Who's got the TwinStar II in stock in the states?

For running a 8-cell pack of sub-c's, do you need a uBEC or rx pack?

-Ted Z

The TwinStar is, I think, exactly what is needed, after an EasyStar. The perfect upgrade.

For the place to get it from the US, I don't know. In Europe, many places. Modelspot is good.

For the Battery, if you use a ESC BEC, you don't need anything else.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2005, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
First video ready: The TwinStar 2 being washed

Thanks to Ido Lempert for taking the video !

http://www.plawner.org/video/ts2_planewash.wmv

Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Aug 06, 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 03:19 PM
Tel Aviv
Joined May 2002
274 Posts
what is the best setup of brushless motors for Twinstar 2 ?

Hi all

What is the best setup of brushless motors & propellers for the Twinstar 2 ?

I am planning to use my 2s3p 6000 mah LiPo pack for it.

Thanks

Ido
lempert is offline Find More Posts by lempert
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Main video of the test flight today:

http://www.plawner.org/video/ts2_testflight.wmv

Using 8x3300 Nimh and everything else stock.

BIG BIG Thanks to Rene Wallage, for his patience to take this video, this morning, at 7:30 AM.
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Aug 06, 2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:50 PM
Austria - Vienna
Joined Jul 2005
92 Posts
Hi all,

I just got my TS2 too (after 2 months waiting for it, although i live so close to Multiplex, i.e. in Austria).
Anyway, as i am a beginner i have also a beginner's question. Maybe someone so nice like Patrick could help.
From the batteries i have a classic Tamiya/Kyosho plug, but on the controller (M-32 from Mpx), there is another kind of plug which i cannot name (see picture).
plugs
Would you cut the wires and change the plug on the battery or on the controller?

Thanks for helping!
Can't wait to build it up...

LaMuse
LaMuse is offline Find More Posts by LaMuse
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:54 PM
Austria - Vienna
Joined Jul 2005
92 Posts
Great videos by the way !
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
LaMuse,

Welcome to the Ezone !

Quote:
Maybe someone so nice like Patrick could help
Your compliments will get you.... everywhere

I would change both, I only use Ultra Deans

Said that, if you want to use 1 of them, Maybe the Multiplex one is more common in Europe ???

Really, what should make you decide is what you can find in your Local Hobby Shop as you will need many of them with time

Also, select one that will handle most current you will use, in your planes. I mean, not soemthing too small. Both on this picture seem ok to me, size wise.
Last edited by Patrick Plawner; Aug 05, 2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:13 PM
Austria - Vienna
Joined Jul 2005
92 Posts
Ok, thanks, that was a quick answer indeed !

Well so there is no difference, it though the green one (whatever it is called) was a better one. I guess i'll have a look tomorrow at the store and see what they have on stock...

By the way, what are UltraDeans, i cannot find a trace of that kind of plug in my hobby catalogue from Conrad ?

I've seen you flew today with your TS2; is there anything you would recommend to change on the construction to someone who hasn't started yet to build it ?

Thank you for your help, and go on with your nice website which i enjoy to visit regularly !

LaMuse
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:20 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Few little details, yes.

If you give me 1 or 2 days, I'll be done with the review and recommendations as to what to change/add.

There is not much, from what I recall (my notes are not here), the main thing is to check the battery compartment, and eventually enlarge it, if necessary, in order for your batteries to match.

Also, for gluying the tail, use at least a 60 sec CA, as you want to position them well, before the glue acts.

For the motors, they come brushed and many people will want, sooner or later to replace these these eventually brushless.

So... Either prepare already a 3rd cable, not used while you fly with the brushed motor OR ensure that the part you glue would be able to be easily removed/unglued later, in order to replace the motor cable for brushless setups.

There may be more stuff, so few more days....
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:30 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,306 Posts
The twinstar looks like a good flyer . Patrick how would you compare it to your old Partenavia ( I had one too)
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmolwitz
The twinstar looks like a good flyer . Patrick how would you compare it to your old Partenavia ( I had one too)

I have the Partenavia too.

I only flew the TwinStar 3 times, so I don't want to give conclusions too fast, but the TwinStar II is definitively stronger, and build in a much smarter way.

For the flight behavior, I'll need few more flights to give a good answer. Anyway, the fact that the TS 2 is made of Elapor is already a big plus, in my eyes. Also, you can paint elapor, anyway you like.
I also think the structure of the TS 2 is stronger, more able to handle speed and hard moves. If I remember well, the partenavia wing is only re-enforced by balsa, one stick of balsa. The TS 2 has carbon fiber.

And so on... Just newer design, smarter one, and the Multiplex extreme high level of ARF and smart pieces that fit exactly where they need. On the building side, a pure marvel, really. On the flight behavior side, again, I need just a few more flights to check few details.

Patrick.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 09:58 PM
We got planes to build
Dallas, TX
Joined Sep 2001
521 Posts
Patrick,

I really like the color you used on your TS 2. Looks very nice. One quick question if I may -Did you have any problems balancing your plane with the large battery packs? I currently use 8 cell 1900SCR and 8 cell Sanyo 2600 NIMH packs in my TS and am wondering if the TS 2 will still balance properly with them.

Looking forward to your review.

Thanks.

Dave
dmiller is offline Find More Posts by dmiller
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:17 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Yes, I too am curious as to dmiller's question about balancing with 8 subc cells.

Also, congrats on the video Rene, and the flying Patrick! I too am looking forward to the review.

LaMuse, I would stick with the green one (Multiplex connector) although they are quite expensive here in the US, (over $2 for each half a connector) I hear they are very robust. The other connector (white one) is a Tamiya, which will weaken considerably over time, and is, compared to the more popular connectors for airplanes, one of the worst as to resistance. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
but WHERE in the USA???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller
Patrick,
I really like the color you used on your TS 2. Looks very nice. ............Looking forward to your review.Thanks.Dave
YES, but has anybody found the roman numeral II in the usa yet???

thx,
LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Aug 06, 2005, 12:14 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Larry, the answer is no. Multiplex site says early August. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop