HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2006, 05:59 AM
Greenlawn, NY
Joined Nov 2005
53 Posts
I finally Maiden'd the Twinstar Yesterday!!! It flew Nice and very fast.. I like it alot.. 1 Question... I want to swap out the props for something else... I dont like the ones it came with... Who makes and what size prop should I get for it..

I am running it with the 400's and a 3cell Lipo 2200mah pack with 35P Castle Creations SC.
PTheDevil is offline Find More Posts by PTheDevil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTheDevil
I finally Maiden'd the Twinstar Yesterday!!! It flew Nice and very fast.. I like it alot.. 1 Question... I want to swap out the props for something else... I dont like the ones it came with... Who makes and what size prop should I get for it..

I am running it with the 400's and a 3cell Lipo 2200mah pack with 35P Castle Creations SC.
Don't worry about the props - worry about your motors (3 Lipos are too much voltage/current).

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Jun 17, 2006, 07:54 AM
Marc LR - France
France - La Rochelle
Joined Sep 2004
494 Posts
Hi Guys,

Do you think a Jeti Jes 350 (35A) will be ok for the TS2 with originals motors ?
I have one, and will have tomorrow a TS2 for Father Fest ( I hope ) in order to make aerial videos.
Do you know how much Amp is with the two kits include motors ?

thank you,

Marc LR
marclr is offline Find More Posts by marclr
Old Jun 17, 2006, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marclr
Hi Guys,

Do you think a Jeti Jes 350 (35A) will be ok for the TS2 with originals motors ?
I have one, and will have tomorrow a TS2 for Father Fest ( I hope ) in order to make aerial videos.
Do you know how much Amp is with the two kits include motors ?

thank you,

Marc LR
It all depends on your battery.

I also would not use the Günther props for aerial video. 6x3" props give you more "pulling power" and with proper adapters, the risk of losing a prop in flight will be reduced.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:13 AM
Marc LR - France
France - La Rochelle
Joined Sep 2004
494 Posts
I agree with you, Jürgen. I will change Günther props for Gr 6x3 after maidened, as soon as possible. I have loose too much props in flight with Pico Combat, Rhino, Ele-Bee etc...

My batteries are :
o 1 Sanyo RC-1700 NiCd x 7 (415g)
o 1 NC 1700 mAh NiCd x 7 (330g)

(sorry for have forget to mention it, more difficult to calculate the A... )

I wish to use this batteries because I have it in stock & no use for my other planes (I use LiPo most of the time) wich are more sensible about weight, for exemple this one : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...69#post3035669 .

Thank you,

Marc LR
Old Jun 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marclr
I agree with you, Jürgen. I will change Günther props for Gr 6x3 after maidened, as soon as possible. I have loose too much props in flight with Pico Combat, Rhino, Ele-Bee etc...

My batteries are :
o 1 Sanyo RC-1700 NiCd x 7 (415g)
o 1 NC 1700 mAh NiCd x 7 (330g)

(sorry for have forget to mention it, more difficult to calculate the A... )

I wish to use this batteries because I have it in stock & no use for my other planes (I use LiPo most of the time) wich are more sensible about weight, for exemple this one : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...69#post3035669 .

Thank you,

Marc LR
Big difference in weight (330g versus 415g). Depending on the condition of your packs, you can expect approx. 22 - 24A static.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2006, 04:13 PM
Marc LR - France
France - La Rochelle
Joined Sep 2004
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Big difference in weight (330g versus 415g).
Yes, I agree with you. I will see in flight how it works, and perhaps use only the lighter one. My goal is to fly cool & slow for filming (very light usb cam key), not to do aerobatics (I have other planes to do that) wich are not very interesting aerial view in filming, espacially for stomack . If it stall as I fly too slow, I will search more lighter batteries. I have LiPo, but not sure it will be very interesting for that use.

Quote:
Depending on the condition of your packs, you can expect approx. 22 - 24A static.

Jürgen
Perfect, I have an old Jeti Jes 350 (35A), it will fit ok!
Thank you.

During building, is there interesting modifications to do, or changes ? (except changing motors & batteries) or exactly do as the manual ?

(I will change the props & glue a 3rd motor wire in case of need changing them to brushless in the futur without having to mess the wings.)

Sorry for my poor English writing.
Best Regards from France.

Marc LR
Old Jun 18, 2006, 08:52 PM
Greenlawn, NY
Joined Nov 2005
53 Posts
Quote:
Don't worry about the props - worry about your motors (3 Lipos are too much voltage/current).

Jürgen

I know.. I popped a prop already during flight.. I want to avoid this at all costs..

6X3 ?
PTheDevil is offline Find More Posts by PTheDevil
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:
During building, is there interesting modifications to do, or changes ? (except changing motors & batteries) or exactly do as the manual ?
Put the EZ connector on the bottom side of the rudder control horn, not the top, as shown in the manual. If you put it on the top, you have to put quite a bend in the pushrod. If you put it in the bottom, you'll have to punch the allen wrench through the horizontal stabilizer to tighten the set screw onto the pushrod. No big deal. You can't really see the hole after it's done. Alternately, you can carefully cut off the short end of the allen wrench to allow it to fit.

If you'll be using NiMH or NiCd cells, you might want to cut the battery area back a couple of cm more, so that the pack can be pushed back further to allow it to balance.

Wait for calm conditions for the maiden, if you're using stock motors & props. They don't have much juice for climbing. Brushless is a good (but expensive) upgrade for this plane.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:23 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
Wait for calm conditions for the maiden, if you're using stock motors & props. They don't have much juice for climbing.
Again: Wind has no effect on the climbing performance of an airplane.

Only the climbing angle changes for a spectator on the ground.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:39 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
It tends to have more of an effect on the climbing performance of the pilot, since buffeting leads to control corrections, which lead to more drag...

Plenty of times I've had a stock TS-1 in a vertical climb, courtesy of a headwind approximating the full-throttle forward speed. 8)

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:56 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZiplok
It tends to have more of an effect on the climbing performance of the pilot, since buffeting leads to control corrections, which lead to more drag...
Correcting flight attitudes caused by turbulence is a different story.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:36 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Quote:

Only the climbing angle changes for a spectator on the ground.

Jürgen
So when I fly down-wind and I'm losing altitude, it is an optical illusion? How about when I fly into the wind, and I have to apply down elevator so it doesn't climb or stall?

When I launch my sailplane into the wind, it climbs quickly. I'm not imagining this. When I launch it WITH the wind, I'm lucky not to crash.

So I do believe you that wind may not have anything to do with climb angle, but it sure does effect how quickly you gain or lose altitude. There may be some advanced theory that proves this wrong, but it has not been my experience.

My point was that the TwinStar II with stock motors does not handle a wind all that well. Sure, you can fly it, but you'll be struggling to keep it under control, and it's not much fun.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:55 AM
Marc LR - France
France - La Rochelle
Joined Sep 2004
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
Put the EZ connector on the bottom side of the rudder control horn, not the top, as shown in the manual. If you put it on the top, you have to put quite a bend in the pushrod. If you put it in the bottom, you'll have to punch the allen wrench through the horizontal stabilizer to tighten the set screw onto the pushrod. No big deal. You can't really see the hole after it's done. Alternately, you can carefully cut off the short end of the allen wrench to allow it to fit.

If you'll be using NiMH or NiCd cells, you might want to cut the battery area back a couple of cm more, so that the pack can be pushed back further to allow it to balance.

Wait for calm conditions for the maiden, if you're using stock motors & props. They don't have much juice for climbing. Brushless is a good (but expensive) upgrade for this plane.
Thank you Jeremy and Jürgen !...

About the CG, is the one in the manual correct ?

Marc LR
Old Jun 19, 2006, 09:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
I hope with that wink your just joking. As a slope flyer, wind, or airspeed certainly affects the airframe and lift. As a general rule, you don't touch the elevator to gain altitude (other than acro), you let speed build and thus the lift of the airfoil increases (of course to a point where drag equals it, and different airfoils react differently, but the general idea is there).
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)