HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:46 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Do you really mean "pull outside loops from inverted flight"?
Yes, that is what Witstick said his Twinstar with the twin 400XT motors had done on its maiden flight. I was curious how that compared with the stock setup.

With the significant amount of camber built into the Twinstar II wing, I would expect it would take more power to pull loops starting from level inverted flight than to pull loops starting from level flight right side up. Not like my old Formosa, which hardly seemed to care if it was upside down or right side up!

My experience so far has been that bigger, thrustier props make it easier to fly nice round loops, the additional thrust making it easier to maintain a constant speed on the upline, and the additional drag from the large prop helping to maintain a constant speed on the downline.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:56 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
Regarding the color, dark anything is not bad, since the underside is in shadow anyway. If I build a plane expecting to do aerobatics, its a dark bottom and light top.
Sure, but dark olive everywhere sounds a bit scary - it will vanish against trees, grass, shadows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
My worst color experience was a silver monokoted tigermoth. Now THAT was invisible in an overcast sky!
LOL! I bought and flew a World Models Rambler EP. The stock fuse is covered in white iron-on film with smoke-grey designs. From a distance the fuelage pretty much vanishes against clouds - and at lower altitudes, the wing is not easy to see, since you're seeing it edge-on and it is pretty thin. Luckily I anticipated this, and spray-canned the rudder, elevator, and top of the cowl red.

I painted my Formosa (my first aerobatic model) screaming bright yellow on top, blue-violet on the lower half of the body, and with red strips on the underside of one half of the wing. That plane was easy to orient as long as there was a decent amount of sunlight - the yellow really stands out, though the red and blue-violet darken and disappear in low light conditions.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:59 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfwreck
However I just found out our fridge died over the weekend (wife didn't want to ruin my weekend so she didn't tell me) So today I get to clean the thing out, all that spoiled food, gas mask and rubber glove time for me.
Uck. Don't envy you that job!

In similar vein, I just spent a couple of hours trying to patch up a couple of holes in the back fence - one of our cats has gotten adventurous and figured out how to squeeze through into our neighbours backyard.

My TS-II is also close enough to completion that I can almost taste it...I'm done with the back fence, but now the flying field is calling out to me. Guess I'll go flying instead of building!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WALRUS
I have a question about the rudder. A friend said he read on some web site that some people mix the ailerons and the rudder. Have you heard of this and is it even possible with my radio given I am already using flaperon mix for the aileron servos.
If your radio supports flapperon mixing it will almost certainly do CAR (coupled aileron & rudder) too. But if you have the specified aileron differential it won't be necessary.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:07 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
559 Posts
Hey all, Flyslikebeagle, yes it would pull a very nice size outside loop from level inverted flight without a dive, really alot of fun. The verticle uplines arent super long but i think that might get better with the 9x6 props. But it does climb out at a very nice angle. I flew about 12-13 min on a 2100mah 3 cell landed and motors and batt were just barley warm. Come on Beagle, get that thing in the air already!!!
witstick is online now Find More Posts by witstick
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
43 Posts
Howdy guys, went to fly my Twinstar II today using a new battery (8-cell NiMH 2500Mah). Carved out a bit of the battery compartment, but otherwise it fit fine.

So I toss it, give it 3/4 throttle and it flies really well for about 30 seconds, then I hear the power sagging big-time, then the left-wing motor cuts out and I had to land it (amazing how well this thing glides.)

So I put in my original 6-cell 3300 Nimh battery (I think it's for RC cars?) and now the left-wing motor will not budge. Doesn't feel hot, the connetors look fine. I tried swapping sides on the little MPX connector inside the plane, nothing gets the motor to budge. I put the new 8-cell back in, same thing. The right-wing motor runs just fine, but the left won't run at all.

I'm using a GWS 600Li 35-amp ESC (which, not sure if I should mention this, but I originally soldered it directly to the MPX connector like it says, then I cut the cable and added two connectors so I could use the ESC in another plane. Once I decided that was stupid, I resoldered the now-shorter ESC cable directly to the MPX connector again, this was the first flight like that.)

So, could the motor have burned out? How could I tell? Is the shorter ESC cable a detriment? Perhaps my crappy soldering work?

Thanks in advance!
calebx25 is offline Find More Posts by calebx25
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:20 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Yes, that is what Witstick said his Twinstar with the twin 400XT motors had done on its maiden flight. I was curious how that compared with the stock setup.
-Flieslikeabeagle
I put "pulling" quotation marks, because pulling an outside loop from inverted flight is just a normal loop, except you start at the top of a loop.

Pushing an outside loop would be something different.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WALRUS
Thanks to jcosta and Bill Glover for the help in trimming my TS ll. I think I have the plane trimmed properly but haven't had a chance to fly it yet due to high winds and rain, springtime in Nova Scotia. I have a question about the rudder. A friend said he read on some web site that some people mix the ailerons and the rudder. Have you heard of this and is it even possible with my radio given I am already using flaperon mix for the aileron servos. Thanks again for your help THE WALRUS

No need to thank, just have fun!!!

It is possible to make a mix to have the rudder moving a little with the ailerons, but it is better if you learn to use your left hand (assuming you fly mode 2).
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:41 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebx25
So, could the motor have burned out? How could I tell? Is the shorter ESC cable a detriment? Perhaps my crappy soldering work?
Redo your solder joints at the motor and, if you have a multimeter, check the resistance of the cable from motor to connector. It should be 0 or very close to 0.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:19 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
I put "pulling" quotation marks, because pulling an outside loop from inverted flight is just a normal loop, except you start at the top of a loop.

Pushing an outside loop would be something different.

Jürgen
We'll have to ask Witstick what he meant, I guess. I assumed he meant flying an outside loop starting at the bottom, what you called "pushing" an outside loop. I've not heard that term (pushing a loop) used before by anyone else.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:19 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,417 Posts
FWIW, "push" is pretty common terminology for negative G manoeuvres and "pull" for positive G (because of the stick movement ... push away from you or pull towards you).

In the UK at least, "outside loop" normally means starting from level inverted flight and going upwards. Starting from level upright flight and pushing down is called a "bunt".
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:28 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I've not heard that term (pushing a loop) used before by anyone else.

-Flieslikeabeagle
You can brush up your aerobatics terminology here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic_maneuver

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,330 Posts
Hey now,
Well guys, I got the old fridge cleaned out and all that wasted food in the trash. I'm really bummed; half an elk, a boar quarter, and two bear paws ruined. No "wild" meat for us till next year and I hate eating store bought meat. The only nasty left is I have to do a dinner party tonight with no refridgeration
On the TSII side; I did get some work done. The wiring is done in both the wing and fuse, pushrods are installed and back filled ( more fuse sanding.). Today I hope to get the fuse halves together along with the tail feathers. I prolly won't get her painted for this weekend, but I may fly it anyway and paint it next week. I *really* want to fly this thing...
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:07 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
You can brush up your aerobatics terminology here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic_maneuver
Thanks for the link. FWIW, I don't see the term "push" used in the description of an outside loop on that page, either!

As I've heard it used, "outside loop" simply means the canopy points away from the center of the loop; inside loop means the opposite. But I haven't spent any time at pattern competitions, so I've no doubt I have plenty of terminology to pick up here.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:45 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,330 Posts
Hey now,
Beagle, I'd never heard the term "bunt" for a top down outside loop till I started reading the english magazines, so it may not be in use here in the U.S. I too always heard that and inside or outside loop depended on the direction of the pilot or canopy. I only knew of bunt being a nonpower hit from a baseball bat, so it goes, we keep learning

On the home front; I managed to get a decent dinner put together so the folks'll be happy and with that cooking and out of the way I did a bit of work on the TSII. Except for paint, it's READY TO FLY!!!
This leaves two whole days to get a base coat on if not trim, if only I knew what colours to use. I really like the O.D., but the wife vetoed military colours because she has to look at the models and thinks military stuff is boring. Maybe yellow with BRG high lights? Or red base with blue? or just "camo" it with every colour paint I've got in the paint cabinet...
Either way, I'll be able to fly it this weekend, I'm psyched!
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck