HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:05 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandretti
How about a 8cell nimh pack? Kind of got me thinking again. Unless the placement of the receiver is in some location that wont be affected.
Bud, I really don't think its an issue till you have a chunk of metal several inches on each side - think big glow engine in a 1/4 scale model.

The wavelength of the 2.4 GHz RF is about 12.5 cm, it will easily diffract around most things of similar or smaller size (objects comparable in size to the wavelength don't cast a solid shadow, rather there will be regions of varying RF field strength immediately behind them - perhaps enough to weaken the signal, but probably not enough to make it unusable). Don't forget too, that the AR6000 receiver has two antennae, even if one should be shadowed, the other likely will not.

I fly a "Trick Stick" (Slow Stick aluminum fuse, Mountain Models Smooth-E wing), with my DX6, and the Spektrum setup is rock solid - not bothered one bit by the aluminum fuse. I have the receiver out a few inches, mounted on the underside of one wing half.

On one of the Spektrum threads, someone did an experiment where he put a steel plate (several inches by several inches) in between his DX6 transmitter and AR6000 receiver, on a test setup mounted on a pole in the ground, with a couple of servos so he could look for RF shadowing or servo glitching. He found none.

I suspect that the AR6000, if mounted out on a wing away from the big metal engine, would likely work just fine even on a model with a fairly large metal engine. But since Spektrum does not approve of this, I would not recommend it to anybody - safety first, and all that sort of thing.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witstick
Hello, well i flew my twinstar saturday with the twin 400xt motor setup on 3 cell 2100mah lipoly and 8x6 slow fly props. It flew great!
Congratulations!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:21 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
They are not Lipos that is correct that was my point, as they are a safer alternative for those of us like myself who are still too nervous to use Lipos. Although heavier than Lipos they have thier advantages and the link is there for anyone who may not be aware of them yet. Sooty100
Thanks Sooty, the Saphions are not easily available here, but there is at least one or two companies selling them, I am interested.

I will read the thread, that Storch on the first page is really nice!
tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:22 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
FLA Beagle, thanks for the information on the DX-6, tt.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:12 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witstick
not sure how it performs stock...
Just compare it to my video.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:22 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Just compare it to my video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witstick
.....I was flying around inverted pulling outside loops from level flight and and making really big loops from level flight.
Jurgen, did your stock setup sustain level inverted flight, and was it able to pull outside loops from sustained level inverted flight?

I'm not trying to stir up any trouble, I'm just curious. From your video clip I got the impression a dive to build up speed was necessary before any aerobatics with the stock power system, was that the case?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:05 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
The stock TS1 would fly inverted circuits quite happily, so I'm sure the slightly cleaner & more efficient TS2 will. The TS1 struggled a bit on outside loops, I would expect the TS2 to be better.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:10 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,695 Posts
Here's my "upgraded" TW2:

Separate flaps.
Steerable nose wheel.
"Pants'ed" main wheels.
Covered in heatshrink film.
I'm running 2 Mega 16/15/7's with 2 CC25 ESCs - pulls 22A total WOT.

Flies like all the rest..
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:27 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
FLA Beagle, thanks for the information on the DX-6, tt.
You're quite welcome. I am really glad to have had the opportunity to attend Mr. Adam's talk. And buying my DX6 is one RC purchase I have had absolutely no "buyers remorse" over - best decision I've made in my nearly two years in the hobby!

Most of the RC pilots who fly at the Rose Bowl have switched to Spektrum setups. The ones who haven't are the folks with expensive 72 MHz transmitters, who have a harder time acknowledging that this $200 transmitter combo (includes 4 servos and a receiver) is better for flying at the 'Bowl than their $800 high-end 72 MHz equipment. One of the guys recently spent a month or two building and covering a beautiful Mountain Models Edge 540 kit - only to have it shot down and badly damaged on its second flight, by some kid who got out of his car at the opposite end of the field (a good 1/4 mile away) and turned on his transmitter on the same channel.

I do like the feel of my old Futaba 7C a bit better than the Spektrum, and it has features the Spektrum does not - a flap knob rather than a flap switch, for instance, not to mention considerably more programming flexibility when it comes to mixes and so on. Also the Spektrum DX6 only has 3-character model names, so I have to remember that "Stm" stands for "Multiplex Stuntman", for instance. Still - since I fly in an RF-heavy urban environment with no RC frequency control, and it is well worth sacrificing a few gewgaws for the ability to bring my model home in one piece.

I'm sure the traditional 72 MHz stuff continues to be all that is necessary in more rural areas, or at club fields with formal frequency control practices in place.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
Here's my "upgraded" TW2:
<snip>
Flies like all the rest..
Y'know, with that power setup, I think it probably flies quite a bit more energetically than all the rest!

Love the lowrider undercarriage. That and the olive drab gives your TS-II a mean look quite unexpected for this airframe.

I'd be scared of losing visual orientation (and visual contact) with an olive drab model, though! I still remember one of my flying buddies who got a friend to airbrush one of his models in camouflage colours. The friend did a great job - the model was all but invisible (and consequently unflyable) once it got below the tree-line!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:46 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
For anyone curious about how to get decent efficiency (and excellent bang for the buck) out of cheap brushed can motors, Vintage1's thread, "Can motors on 3S lipo" is a goldmine of information. Now an old thread, but still alive because there is so much good stuff there:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201680

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,292 Posts
Hey now,
Frustration hits hard. I'm all ready to finish the TSII, got all the avionics ready, all the surfaces sanded, just gotta glue it together and throw some paint. All good stuff, I can have her ready this weekend
However I just found out our fridge died over the weekend (wife didn't want to ruin my weekend so she didn't tell me) So today I get to clean the thing out, all that spoiled food, gas mask and rubber glove time for me. the TSII is going to have to wait Oh well, maybe next week... "durable goods" Hah! Not if you have kids...
They gotta learn not to swing from the doors.
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:05 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,695 Posts
Flieslikeabeagle - thanks for the compliment. Regarding the color, dark anything is not bad, since the underside is in shadow anyway. If I build a plane expecting to do aerobatics, its a dark bottom and light top.

My worst color experience was a silver monokoted tigermoth. Now THAT was invisible in an overcast sky!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:11 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Jurgen, did your stock setup sustain level inverted flight, and was it able to pull outside loops from sustained level inverted flight?

I'm not trying to stir up any trouble, I'm just curious. From your video clip I got the impression a dive to build up speed was necessary before any aerobatics with the stock power system, was that the case?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Sustained inverted flight is no problem at all. Do you really mean "pull outside loops from inverted flight"? In a prior thread the discussion was about inverted flying and pulling a loop from level flight - not pulling loops from inverted flying.

Strongly recommend to watch the video clip again :

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=5

After launch I keep the TwinStar II level to pick up speed. The first aerobatic maneuver in the clip is a reversed half Cuban-Eight, a maneuver which requires much more "Oomph" than a normal loop, as the model will lose a lot of momentum doing the half roll climbing. A normal Cuban Eight requires less power. You can also hear in the video, that I make a lot of use of the throttle - hardly something you would do with an underpowered model doing aerobatics.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jurgen Heilig; Mar 15, 2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: deleted the "o" in maneuver ;)
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
halifax nova scotia canada
Joined Dec 2004
59 Posts
Thanks to jcosta and Bill Glover for the help in trimming my TS ll. I think I have the plane trimmed properly but haven't had a chance to fly it yet due to high winds and rain, springtime in Nova Scotia. I have a question about the rudder. A friend said he read on some web site that some people mix the ailerons and the rudder. Have you heard of this and is it even possible with my radio given I am already using flaperon mix for the aileron servos. Thanks again for your help THE WALRUS
THE WALRUS is offline Find More Posts by THE WALRUS