HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:19 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
Spudandretti

Happy birthday and good luck with the TS maiden.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:54 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Z
One cannot attain better or more flying skills without more stick time.
I agree, but some people even get worse over time, i.e. the time you fly RC is no indicator for your flying skills.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
[QUOTE=jcosta]Then one of them had a good pack and the other definitely had some problem. Now you can easily imagine how lively it becomes with a 20-25% weight reduction from the one you flew. It even does scare some beginners who do the mistake of trying to fly it close.

Hey now,
You'd think one pack was bad, but I even tried switching them over, the poor flyer was still a poor flyer, coulda been the motor, but that more or less checked out too. I dunno, it flew fine on the slope so that's where we taught him.

It was actually scary... I tended to dive under a table when he passed overhead.

Yeah, but scarey cool. I've blown up a coupla models that way; the HB .40 on my Das Little Stick did that, the wing just kinda came apart at speed. The rest crashed into a corn field, but I rebuilt it and raced the next weekend.

Exactly, PNS - Pointy Nose Syndrome
I'd love to have one!!!!!

Oh! We generally refer to it as the NorCal pointy nose fetish
There's a friendly rivalry between the So Cal point Fermin guys with their Big Round Nose fetish and the Nor Cal West Ridge guys and our Pointy Nose Fetish. We have narrow LZs and sand dune cliffs with ice plant so for us the pointy nose, beefed up severely makes for good lawn dart or one point landings

If you've got the slope for it, go to the slope forums and search for Reed's JART, nothing flys better than that monster, makes the U2s, Higgin's Rodents, and Leegun F104s seem like real dogs

BTW, I compete in F3F and F3B, that is the reason for my Pikes, one Brio eXtreme for F3F and a Brio carbon X-tail for F3B (soon to be a Pike Giant, waiting for new wingtips).

Nifty models for sure. I don't compete any more, I get too wrapped up in it and stop having fun, so these days I just sport fly...
RobII
elfwreck is online now Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:29 AM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3
Spudandretti

Happy birthday and good luck with the TS maiden.
Thanks Have to wait for the maiden, rain, rain and more rain Bud
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandretti
One thing though, can you post a pic of you actually flying a plane? Ah, just kiddin
You know, that turned out to be a surprisingly hard request to fulfill. My wonderful wife has no real interest in RC flight, so I've not had many photo ops, and the guys at the field are too busy flying to ever bother with bringing a camera. However when I poked through the photos on my computer I found the attached picture. This was taken on Christmas day, 2004 (this is in southern California, so yes, we have green grass on Christmas day!). My wife and I spent the day with my in-laws, and I took along my E-Starter in case anyone wanted to see it fly. Some of the folks did, so we went to a nearby open field and I put on a little demo flight with the E-Starter. My wife took some pictures of the flight with our digital camera.

I expect the next thing I read will be someone speculating this pic is a Photoshop job. To which I reply: if I had photoshopped this pic, would I have left my bald spot so big?
Quote:
I hate when people have to upgrade things to brushless, I am always one to have to keep up with the Joneses, but it is my Birthday today, and the wife doesn't know what to get me
Happy Birthday!

I think we're right at the point where if you select carefully, there is no need to feel "brushless guilt" any more. With $20 brushless motors and $25 brushless ESC's out there, the brushless setup doesn't cost much more (in some cases less) than a brushed setup. Case in point, Jcosta spent $130 on his brushed setup with NiMH pack, while I spent $133 on my brushless/lipo setup.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Mar 10, 2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I think we're right at the point where if you select carefully, there is no need to feel "brushless guilt" any more. With $20 brushless motors and $25 brushless ESC's out there, the brushless setup doesn't cost much more (in some cases less) than a brushed setup. Case in point, Jcosta spent $130 on his brushed setup with NiMH pack, while I spent $133 on my brushless/lipo setup.

-Flieslikeabeagle
You know, you really should try to read my pal Jcosta's posts before you write nonsense.

What he wrote was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta
My Twinstar 2 has, in addition to the stock motors and props, a $35 37A Esc plus the above mentioned $30 3000MAh 8 cell pack. Are you telling me that between Lipos, brushless motors and 2 ESCs you spent less than $130???
DOH!
PT_flyer is offline Find More Posts by PT_flyer
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:29 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_flyer
You know, you really should try to read my pal Jcosta's posts before you write nonsense.
Jaime,

It's not worth it, the guy does not read my posts anymore, I am on his ignore list...

Anyway, most of his planes are GWS. That is why he firmly believes he has to upgrade all stock power systems.. I thought so too when I bought a GWS plane. Then I remembered my EasyStar and sold the piece of styrofoam as fast as I could...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Last edited by jcosta; Mar 10, 2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:35 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I expect the next thing I read will be someone speculating this pic is a Photoshop job. To which I reply: if I had photoshopped this pic, would I have left my bald spot so big?
-Flieslikeabeagle
I believe you, it would be hard to place that reflection of the plane so well on your bald... ah, never mind. Thanks for the Birthday wish. Bud

I did spend about $115 to stay brushed, and I will probably go brushless at some point, just wanted to try it stock first, its only money
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_flyer
Sorry, my mistake.

Posts with hostile language are harder to read. It seems you share your pals caustic tone.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:37 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
I did spend about $115 to stay brushed, and I will probably go brushless at some point, just wanted to try it stock first, its only money
What the heck did you buy for $115.- ?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:26 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
HEY GUYS, lets be friendly. There is no need to be hostile with one another because we feel and think different and dont share the same taste in some categories. We are here to learn and to share our experiences.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:18 AM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
What the heck did you buy for $115.- ?

Jürgen
8 cell elite 3600 about $50 ( upgraded pack with deans, 12g, and copper strips), jeti45 about $65. If I do decide to go brushless at some point, I will need to go with something that will mount the way the stock ones go. I sure am not going to try and pop those mounts out after gluing them in, maybe if I would work at it.Bud
Last edited by spudandretti; Mar 11, 2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:23 AM
Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland
Joined Jun 2005
226 Posts
Hi there,

Im thinking about replacing the standard 400 motors with 2 x 6/20 Typhoon brushless motors powered with a 3c 2600mAh.

Do you think the 6/20's will be up to the job? Are they a good motor?
kaiser_solsay is offline Find More Posts by kaiser_solsay
Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,794 Posts
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_solsay
Im thinking about replacing the standard 400 motors with 2 x 6/20 Typhoon brushless motors powered with a 3c 2600mAh.

Do you think the 6/20's will be up to the job? Are they a good motor?
Kaiser, I don't know much about those motors, and a little Googling turned up only the Kv (rpm/volt), not the motor winding resistance or no-load current.

That said, the information I found says the motors are rated for 12 A continuous current. That means these motors put out the right amount of power to breathe life into a Twinstar II, they are capable of a little more power output than the Esskay 400XT motors I'm using.

The Kv of these little Typhoon 6/20 motors is rather high at 1800 rpm/V, and you will have to use correspondingly smaller props. I suggest an APC Thin Electric 6x4 as a starting point. Using the sophisticated WAG method of guessing at the motor resistance and idle current, that prop should pull around 11 A and put out about 18 oz of thrust and 60 mph pitch speed. Sorry, just noticed you're posting from the UK where you don't have to deal with these inconvenient imperial units, so that's about 510 gm of thrust and 96 kmph.

The pitch speed is on the high side for the Twinstar, sacrificing thrust in exchange for speed, but I don't see a lot of pitch choices for 6" Thin Electric props on the APC product page (though they do make a 6.3x4 combat prop, and a 6.5x2.9 free-flight prop, which might be worth a try - I know nothing about those product lines, unfortunately, but if it works that last prop should produce a better balance of thrust and speed for the TS-II).

-Flieslikeabeagle