Closed Thread
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:11 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,126 Posts
Cool
ˇˇˇˇˇˇfree Plans For The Hydro Planeˇˇˇˇˇˇ

If you are new to this thread, plz have a look HERE first...

If you are building, check this post regularly, updates are here all the time, I will post updates at the bottom of this post.

DISCLAIMER: UNTRIED AND UNTESTED, YOU MIGHT ENCOUNTER LITTLE MISTAKES. PLEASE FIX 'M YOURSELF, AND NOTIFY ME WHAT YOU DID.

we got 2 Hydro planes flying!!!

So I guess it's experiMENTAL

PLANS CAN BE FOUND HERE

http://www.parkjets.com/hydro.html

Or here:

(SEE BOTTOM OF THE FOLLOWING LINK):

http://home.tiscali.nl/modelbouw/modellen%20nieuw.htm

You will need one sheet of 3mm depron, 1250x800mm.
All pieces are 3mm. Add some carbon rod on places that need it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=49

For your reference: the length of the fuselage (floats included) is 600mm (divide by 25,4 to get inches).

Expect an all up weight of around 7,5 OZ or 200 gram, using 3C 450mah Lipo's. You will need a 2 to 1 power/weight ratio to be able to take-off from water. (loads of drag)

Steering is done by three servo's. You use double elevons. Think of it as a biplane flying wing, then you get the idea. Use delta or V-tail mix. If it's not on your transmitter, buy a V-tail mixer (around $10,-) which connects between your servo's and receiver. Connect a servo arm with one of the lower elevons. Connect the lower elevons the the upper ones by carbon rods. Use shrink tube on the rods as a hinge. Check the pictures.

You need double rudder. Again, one servo to a rudder, then rudder to rudder.
Water turning is much improved using a water rudder. Look at the pictures to see how it can be done. It looks like a hurried after thought. Try to work out a neater solution.

I expect Center of Gravity to be somewhere around 20% from front of wing. (not from front of floats...but you got that right, right?)

You have to protect the floats against asphalt abuse. You can use thin carbon sheet. Looks really nice, is very light. I don't have any CF sheet around, so I'm gonna try and use 25gr glasfiber cloth on the bottom of the floats. I'll use a polu-urethane laquer on the GF. An other alternative is very thin plywood, although you should check how it reacts in water first.

The only two things missing on the plan is the canopy and air duct. The canopy is not an easy part to make out of depron. I suggest you make it out of foam block. Cut to rough shape, sand it to perfection, hollow it to make it light. I let the air duct to your own fantasy. I'm sure it drags a lot, so don't overdo it. Here's a pic for reference:

AND THE RESULT LOOKS LIKE THIS:

You really should consider buying a kit from Mike, when they arrive. Mine is just a quick SPIN-off.

This thread inspired me to draw the above plan:

Hydro-Foam flying hydroplane... video and plans info

This plan is not to be associated with www.michaelconnally.com.

But, if he, and others who cooperated on their project hadn't given us enough information, this plan would not have been possible. You can show some respect, like I did, by donating through Pay-pal using paypal account: michael@michaelconnally.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 1: If you would like to tweak this design, go ahead. All parts of the original fit really well to each other. If you changed things, and it doesn't fit anymore, help yourself. You can download the DWG file HERE

UPDATE 2: It is necessary to make your floats watertight. You can try the following: after assembly and glueing of the floats, treat them with spackle, or fill any gaps with strings of depron and CA. Make 'm neat. Give it a good coat of laquer, use a light one, like poly-urethane used to coat stairs. Test your floats in the bath-tub before risking any racing on the lake !!!

UPDATE 3: It seems to be better to increase the elevons area. Try making them larger. This will result in better response when taking off from water.
If you already have the elevons ready on your hydro plane, just wait to see if you are satisfied with flying. Making 'm bigger is a small modification. Drawings are not to be updated. (for now, at least)

UPDATE 4: The Germans have two of these flying. They report that Centre of gravity is further to the front, 80mm from the front of the wing. (20%)
Problems so far are leaking floats and sensitive/twitchy flying, due to wrong COG. Will keep you posted, and hopefully we get a video.

UPDATE 5: Pjotrrr has one flying very succesfully. His findings are that the centre of gravity is at 60mm from the front of the wing. It takes of from grass and water and flies very nice.
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Last edited by Prop-er; Sep 02, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:16 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
That's what we needed
Can you post info on the sizes of the boat on your plans?

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:31 AM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
It should be said that these are not our design.
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:51 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,718 Posts
Might be, but I think theres nothing wrong with it. It looks awesome and it will probably preform perty similar (wich means freakin AWESOME action).

It could use some servo/battery/motor positions though.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Is there really nothing wrong with it? Morally, legally, etc. I mean, what if I posted free plans for Mountian Models Magpie?
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 09, 2005, 12:04 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
428 Posts
Personally, I think that is very chicken SH__ of you to do this. I think you should have at least waited until plans were released for the other one. But hey, some people just dont have any morals...
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old Jun 09, 2005, 12:04 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
Is there really nothing wrong with it? Morally, legally, etc. I mean, what if I posted free plans for Mountian Models Magpie?
...there'd be something wrong with calling it a Mountain Models Magpie... but there couldn't be an issue posting a plan of a plane that was made for the same purpose... i.e. high wing trainer/sport plane. Magpie was hardly the first... which is where it differs to the hydro-plane. Not even allowing the plans for the one that came first to get out there before being ripped off.

I think what is a little "much" here, is that it's being billed as the plans for someone else's design. I think part of the problem is the foam... it was simple enough to make the original, so it's easy to rip it off.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jun 09, 2005, 12:32 PM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
It's quite normal around here to see knock-offs of a design (for example the SortaTensor)
We are all very excited about this new plane, that's why prop-er probably tried to make plans, normally it takes weeks for a kit at least and we internetpeople can't wait long...
The only thing prop-er could have done better was to use a sorta other name...
I'm pretty sure Mike will sell his kits no problem!

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:00 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,126 Posts
Please read my post on how I think about this matter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=161

Starting my build tonight. Hope it goes together well.

So far I had a comment about the missing water rudder. Well, I guess that's not too hard to design. Maybe I will add it later.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:22 PM
RETIRED PHILLY FIREFIGHTER
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
File appears damaged

Just wanted to let you know the file appears damaged
Vagabond324 is offline Find More Posts by Vagabond324
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:25 PM
what'd i break now?
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
160 Posts
i wouldn't even get this guys free plans. i'll give credit (and money) where it's due.

no class.
AkshunJebus is offline Find More Posts by AkshunJebus
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:26 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,126 Posts
Nope, the plans are fine. Maybe you noticed the black lines around the paper edges. on these lines you have to line up all the A4 pages.
Make sure you select A4 paper size, and no scaling, when printing these plans.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:29 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,126 Posts
Invent a way to convert all cars to run on water. show the whole world how you did it, but don't be surprised if some-one publiced a drawing of how he thinks the inventor did it.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
I have to grudgingly agree with you on this. That said, I still NEED a kit!!!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:44 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
801 Posts
I don't know what's right.....

I don't know what's right.....but I do know that when people start putting out their own design of someone else's creation, it makes people like Mike think twice about making pics, video, etc available to everyone on a new project. Face it, most people would not even be aware of how cool this plane is, unless Mike had created the videos and shared his new design with us. He could have waited and released it when he was ready to sell kits or plans. Like I said, I don't know what's right, but it is a shame that this happens. I will be the first to admit that I am eagerly waiting for the plans or kit to come out so I can buy them, but I will only buy them from the person who let us in on his new creation at a early stage. Thanks Mike Connally, I hope you continue to let us in on your amazing ideas.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
Closed Thread