HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:30 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7933 prop

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8620 motor.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:34 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Sweet. Thanks Hance.
~Cole
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:14 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Hi all, I just finished up my AR1... pics later, since I've got to carry out some suspense with my FB until next Sunday.

I wanted to share an idea I came up with on the hinges of my AR: blenderm on top, a bead of welder glue instead of tape on bottom. The result was awesome; like live hinging for AR's!!! I'm going to use this method more often; makes doing perfect hinges an easy task. I recommend giving it a try on some scrap just to see how it works... I'll bet you end up with a big grin.

My hinge lines are held solid and flush along the entire length with zero vertical flex (no steps in the airfoil like you get with 2 pc tape hinges). They also feel "spring damped"; they return to center on their own, and have a cushy damped feel to them. With linkages attached they feel as solid as my Avionik! No binding or struggling from my el cheapo hxt500 servos either. It's also lighter than a second length of tape, and the bottom looks great without tape!

Sound like a win-win? ...here's some tips if you wanna try it out yourself:
Welder shrinks significantly, but you don't want a big blob that will cause binding. The bottom hinge area is small. So after installing blenderm on top, I used a testors glue tip to apply a 1/32" bead to the back of the crotch of the hinge line (I ran the glue tip at a 45 in to the joint, which forms a nice fillet of the right size). I exercised my hinges a few times while wet. This helped spread out any blobs and increases the glue surface area inside the 'crotch'. I taped my surfaces neutral and kept the airframe upside down while the welder was drying, which takes about an hour and a half. This ensures that the surfaces cure with "a memory for neutral", and gravity will pull the bulk of the welder down in to the pivot point of the hinge for more strength. You'll notice a very slight wrinkling of the blenderm where the welder touches it... don't panic, this is normal as the welder seems to attack the blenderm. The blenderm will survive and pull itself flat again as the glue shrinks. After completely dry, the hinges might feel a bit stiff, but 10 or so cycles to the extremes will free them up (just like a new Avionik, you gotta' break in the live hinges).

Boy, I'm too long with words... I'll post close ups of the hinges after Sunday.
Enjoy,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Feb 14, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Nice Kev! I had a couple a these... fun flyers.
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
pro bro 2465
Jones OK
Joined Apr 2005
376 Posts
Alot like a hotglue hinge on epp I really like em
okie larry is offline Find More Posts by okie larry
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:35 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
The thought of using hotglue hinges did cross my mind; in fact it's what inspired the blenderm/welder idea (hotglue is just too heavy). Brian and I just swapped photos of our AR1's over the phone, so no reason to keep it secret anymore lol! Brian actually gave me the AR kit as a b-day present... thanks again Brian!!!

I took several photos of the hinges, and the welder shrunk so much it barely showed up even in macro mode. I posted the best pic just to give an idea of how much welder I used, but it's really common sense. If you have bigger servos and are shooting for 100mph, more glue makes sense... you can get away with a trace if you're going light. I had some areas where lots of excess welder squirted out as I exercised the hinge; I wiped off the excess. I also had a few large gaps that I had to fill in before I set her upside down for curing. So it's an easy process to work with. Again, a few practice hinges would probably be wise... I was hasty on this one.

I also included a photo of my schlepp motor mount (5min epoxy/microballoons/fiberglass chop). Probably not the first time that's been done on an AR, but I figured it would be cool for the pics page (love browsing the pics when I brainstorm for a build). To make mine I just covered my motor in masking tape, and taped it on with lots of schlepp... easily trimmed with scissors and a razor after curing. I'll be using this on all my future AR's for sure, but I'm going to use a 1' long stick or pipe as a form instead of masking the motor; that should make good alignment very easy.

Now it wouldn't be right to post pics of a heavily painted lady without sharing the AUW... with a TP 2s480 20C it's 4oz. I honestly thought I was going to come out closer to 5oz with all the paint. Those hxt500 servos are also portly at 8gm, and my prop adapter with 2.75x4 prop aren't helping much (sorry, but the 3030 just ain't enough for me ). Should be easy to see when I upgrade to brushless, but I'm going to have to make another slightly bigger one for a 100mph+ blue wonder setup to beat Brian's. He's got one of those Neu 12mm inrunners and d-47 servos! Can't wait to see his go this Sunday.

Cheers,
Kev

[Edit: Here's a photo of my inspiration for the paint... almost, but not quite... missing the carbon spar, LOL
!]
Last edited by Truglodite; Nov 15, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15829
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:46 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Love the Feigao 4100

I've got lots of stick time with my AR lately, and I've got to thank Steve for providing such a fun little plane... it's the most flying fun I've had in several years! I've flown mine with the stock brushed setup on 2s, up to 3s480 20C with a Feigao 4100 and 2.75x4hd. No matter what you do it's always a blast to fly. It's perfect with the stock setup for learning to handle faster planes, and with a brushless and a youth soccer field, it replicates 99% of the adrenaline I get from flying my d99 around a 400yd course... so the name fits it well!

In case you were wondering about that little Neu... Brian's Proton 5300 pulled 9A/24500RPM with a full 2s480 20C and 3030hd (globee tach and an Astro wattmeter). It does between 60-70mph level, and also has a 4.0oz AUW. Not bad for a 12mm inrunner eh?

Cheers,
Kev

ps: Here's a video of me flying the AR at a youth soccer field with my current 3s360/3020/feigao4100/4oz AUW setup. I was starting to get in a groove with my intended course at 3:30 or so... Enjoy!

Pylon Racing with the Adrenaline Rush -long version (5 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Truglodite; Feb 27, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:05 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Very nice guys... you might have just got me into this one as well! Proposing a slightly beefier setup as follows:

24" wingspan / 4" chord / 1/4" balsa main spar

Hextronik 24g 3000kv brushless outrunner ('Blue Wonder')
HobbyKing SS 25A ESC
4.75 x 4.75 propellor
Rhino 750mAh 2s 20C
HXT500 servos

Projected AUW around 6.5 ounces based on 4oz equpiment weight and 2.5oz airframe.

Updates if/as they happen... this will be my first 'scratch' build so any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Very nice guys... you might have just got me into this one as well! Proposing a slightly beefier setup as follows:

24" wingspan / 4" chord / 1/4" balsa main spar

Hextronik 24g 3000kv brushless outrunner ('Blue Wonder')
HobbyKing SS 25A ESC
4.75 x 4.75 propellor
Rhino 750mAh 2s 20C
HXT500 servos

Projected AUW around 6.5 ounces based on 4oz equpiment weight and 2.5oz airframe.

Updates if/as they happen... this will be my first 'scratch' build so any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers - boingk
I have built a couple with the same setup other than the battery. They end up close to 5 ounces but I am using a 3s 360 pack. I had mine hooked up to the eagle tree logger bench testing it. The 4.75X4.75 prop on 3s gives a pitch speed of 122mph What that ends up as real world speed wise I have no idea but they zip right along.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:00 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Ah good to hear, Hance, thanks for the reply. I've done a fair bit of reading on here about realistic setups and its good to know I've got at least a basic grasp on things.

Some other props in my stock include 6x4 and 8x3.8's, so theres at least a small selection of things there to experiment with. Gotta admit, though, I'm pretty keen to run the 4.75x4.75 on a 3S... although I'll need some more batteries as my only 3S at the moment are 2200mAh units I run in my Hellcat.

You done much aerobatics or 3D work with the setup you mentioned? What kind of battery life are you getting?

Cheers - boingk
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Ah good to hear, Hance, thanks for the reply. I've done a fair bit of reading on here about realistic setups and its good to know I've got at least a basic grasp on things.

Some other props in my stock include 6x4 and 8x3.8's, so theres at least a small selection of things there to experiment with. Gotta admit, though, I'm pretty keen to run the 4.75x4.75 on a 3S... although I'll need some more batteries as my only 3S at the moment are 2200mAh units I run in my Hellcat.

You done much aerobatics or 3D work with the setup you mentioned? What kind of battery life are you getting?

Cheers - boingk
I am not really an aerobatic or 3D pilot to be honest with you. Loops and rolls are easy other than that I haven't tried much with it. I haven't timed my flights exact either but I would say they are in the 5 minute range if you fly with in reason. Full tilt would be somewhat shorter.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:46 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Righteo, thanks. I'm not much of a pilot yet but would like future scope for some more 'out there' stuff. Rolls/loops/Immelmans/tophats/cubans are about the limit for me at the moment.

I ordered the 610mAh 3S packs as they're only marginally heavier than the 360's and I should be able to use them in my 38" J3... which is also running a Hextronik 3000kv haha.

Cheers - boingk
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:41 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I have built a couple with the same setup other than the battery. They end up close to 5 ounces but I am using a 3s 360 pack. I had mine hooked up to the eagle tree logger bench testing it. The 4.75X4.75 prop on 3s gives a pitch speed of 122mph What that ends up as real world speed wise I have no idea but they zip right along.
How many amps?

I have a rewound 2700Kv 2730 that's much more efficient than stock, and on 3s850 30C/4.75^2 it draws nearly 25A!

Kev
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,387 Posts
I have not started the build on my second one yet; but in regards to aerobatics, considering this is a no rudder setup there are limits to what you can do... with my first Rush, rolls were axial and loops can be as large as you like (the power is there!); but this is meant to go fast and not great for hot doggin, Turn and burn
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK