HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:41 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the data!

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this link so, I can take notes!

I rather was curious since my new AXI 2820/10 and 2826/10 felt rather light? I purchased these two motors during the big sale at Hobby Lobby and saved Big!

From all the data above, seems like the these two motors are going to be perfect for my planned applications.

Thanks guys!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2005, 01:39 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Remember, these are High Alt numbers - at Sea Level you're going to see the similar numbers with 1" less diameter and 1-2" less pitch.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Bill,

Thanks for the data!

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this link so, I can take notes!

I rather was curious since my new AXI 2820/10 and 2826/10 felt rather light? I purchased these two motors during the big sale at Hobby Lobby and saved Big!

From all the data above, seems like the these two motors are going to be perfect for my planned applications.

Thanks guys!
Carlos
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:41 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Bill,

So based on the fact that I am close to sea level (664ft. msl) I could go with an apc 12x6e and get similiar numbers as a 13x6, 13x8 at 6,000ft? Just wondering because the 12x6e was what I was going to use to start and then move up to a 13x6.5 after the batteries were broke in. But it sounds like the 13x6.5 may be to much prop with my planned setup with phx-45 when it comes to amp draw maybe. I know I am looking to get unlimited vertical from the plane and would like to do pattern/little 3d with the setup that I am trying to work out.

Thanks for the feedback Bill it has been a pleasure working with you through several threads here on rcgroups as well as the feedback I have received from your website(Regards, Hos). Not often do you find a plane manufacture taking time to help others build and fly there products like you have with so many. Much Appreciated!!

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenablimp
Remember, these are High Alt numbers - at Sea Level you're going to see the similar numbers with 1" less diameter and 1-2" less pitch.

-Bill
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:36 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Question about Radial Mount for 2820 & 2826

I heard that if you don't install that aluminum securing coller that the C-Clip was not strong enough such that the motor housing will slide out when operating the motor in the butt first way?

Therefore, at the hobby store they told me it is very important to have this securing coller installed otherwise you may lose motor and model.

Correct?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:46 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Covering the Tail Feathers - Easier than You Think

Well Just came in from the shop. Had time to get the Elevator and Horizontal stab completed. Total time on these pieces - 4 hrs -

OK, so no speed record were set. But I was in a learning curve.

I am very happy with the finish product. I wish that the yellow was less transparent. But the sacrifice is weight, and I am going for a "light as possible" ship.

Any way, here are the pics. Covering is really quite simple - at least with this low heat, thin Solite Film.

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:48 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
On the blue meets blue, the seams blended to a near invisable state.

If you look close at the elevator, you will see where I did the blue underside first and then the yellow. on the Stab I did the yellow first and then the blue bottom. Results was a much nicer look doing yellow first.

Mike
Last edited by mrm1; Jul 28, 2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 06:54 AM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Mike, nice work!! Looks great so far, who says you need a "master craftsman" to cover the plane. I agree on the dark color over the light, hides a little more. Thanks for the pics. looking forward to seeing the final product (as I'm sure you are to).

Tim
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:00 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Super Job Mike!

I know now where to take my models for covering
Old Jul 29, 2005, 09:16 AM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Yeah.................REAL nice job Mike. Looks like you been covering for years.

Doug
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:04 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Tail Ready

Thanks everyone.

Times are coming down as I do more and more pieces. I think the Rudder and Vert Stab took me about half as long as the Horizontal Stab and Elebator. And the Rudder/Vert had curved ends too. (though not sure if they are suppost to be curved or not - But I like it)

My only problem was that while applying the red to the tip of the Rudder/Stab, I dropped the knife and poked a hole thru both sides. fortunately it was the blue, and the Solite blue blends and hides seams real well, so 2 small patches are hardly noticable.

So far I could not be happier with my first attempt at a cover job.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
I especially liked the challenge the of 2 color rudder. What I did was size up a piece of blue and straight cut the bottom edge where I wanted the seam. Then cut a piece of yellow large enough to finish the rudder side.

Taped the yellow finish side up tight to my cutting mat, and then pealed the clear plastic off the blue. Seamed the 2 peices. Flipped them over and cut to shape leaving about 1 inch over laps.

pealed off the clear from the yellow and tacked everything lining up the seam with the lowest horizontal support in the rudder. This made it straight to the model.

And now when I add that blue to the fuse, it will cut thru the fuse and meet the rudder just under the elevtor - basicly splitting the servo trays.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:15 PM
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
And you were concerned about what? Covering, good one Mike you almost had us fooled that you had never covered a plane before Looking mighty pretty! Question is the balsa sheeting above the horizontal stab not glued in yet? As I see you have placed the stab/elevator underneath it in the first pic. Thanks

Tim
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:21 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Here is a shot of the washer used to make the curve in the blue wing stripes. Notice the larger washer. This is the one I will use to make the curve in the blue stripes on the main wings.

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2005, 12:49 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
mrm1 - Great work! If that's your first covering job, I can't wait to see your 2nd or third!

Just read all the motor talk above and thought I'd throw my sea level (~600msl) numbers in:
Old AXI 2820/10 12X6 ~42A 420W
New AXI 2820/10 12X6 ~50A 505-510W

The old AXI I have in my CAP232 40e and it has GOBS of power. I don't hover it. I rarely use WOT except to impress the glow guys.

The new AXI - I use 2 on the Siamese CAP:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352940
Last page has link to videos
With a twin there is some synergy so you can afford to be over propped some. Also it's 5lb and 1020W so you don't have to work it very hard.
I've had 10min flights and only used half the battery (batteries).
It's at least twice as much fun to fly.

If I were to install a new AXI in the CAP40e I'd have to go with an 11" prop.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:24 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Helpful Guide

I got this about 3 months ago. It has been helpful, but not overly so. Just basicly served to fill in some of the gaps and teach some shortcuts.

I think Monocote alos has a guide to covering on their main web site. That was useful too.

Mike