HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:12 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Oh Bill,

While we are in the ordering business, since I gooffed up my cowl so poorly (not readily visible in the pics - but trust me, nasty seam - melted plastic with too much glue)

Can I buy another cowl for the cap 40? is that on the site for order - or how do I go about getting this replacement part.

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:41 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
Sure, if you'd like to order I'll pop the other stuff in the mail to you with that order. Cowls are available here - http://www.stevensaero.com/cart/cart...category_id=42

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Oh Bill,

While we are in the ordering business, since I gooffed up my cowl so poorly (not readily visible in the pics - but trust me, nasty seam - melted plastic with too much glue)

Can I buy another cowl for the cap 40? is that on the site for order - or how do I go about getting this replacement part.

Mike
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 12, 2005, 07:09 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Well - the UBEC will work for sure. I have one in my H9 P-51 with 6 servos on 6S LiPo. 2 are retract servos. You could add retracts and cowl flaps and a disposall to your CAP.
If you go that route buy the UBEC from Koolflightsystems.com
When disabling the Phoenix BEC lift the tab on the connector and slide the red wire out. Do not cut it off. You can slide it back in later.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Aug 12, 2005, 08:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
(but still does not explain why I does the same thing with 9 cells too - which is way in range)

Note that the discussion about battery voltage below stems from my questoin to Joe at CC about the 3s2p pack being 11.1 votls and the feature rating of the ESC claiming to be good for 4 servos up to 10 cells or 12 volts.

Bill, I'm not sure we are "getting off subject". I started this thread for just such discussions once I got the plane built. If the moderators do not mind lets keep it here (boy that sounds like a Star Trek eposode - "The Providers" -).
Mike.

Just an observation on my part....as I explained in my MACH-II thread that I did fly her with Thunder Power 2100mAH, 3S2P Li-POLY and making sure both packs were matched and charged the same off-charger Voltage, however, I experenced an interesting but, not surprising observation.

The Amp draw with the 3S2P were several Amps lower than with the 9-cell, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH batteries. Even though the Li-POLYs were parallel they did not hold their Voltage under load as that from the GP-3300's! Also, the propeller RPMs were lower under load throughout the throttle range.

Also, having batteries in parallel and any slight deviations as to the differences in use, abuse, cycle times, the dominate pack tends to place a potential across the weaker one especially after they have show sign of deminished Voltage and capacity.

For this reason you will almost always notice a better performance with the round cells, assuming fully charged and properly cycled. You maybe lighter with the Li-POLYs but, during high Amperage the Propeller RPMs are not anyway near the same values as with the round cells.

Also, ligher in an acrobatic model that is low wing without any dihedral would require power almost all the time during less than calm conditions and especially with the wing span this one has.

You will be surprised (when you finally get your WATT METER and a TACH) how much higher Amp draw those round cells provide and they perhaps will violate the same restrictions that CC has provided you.

Whenever you get more information as to how they (Castle Creations) define what is high torque servos then, please provide it here.

Thanks again Mike,
Carlos (Provider)
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Aug 12, 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:40 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Well if your Gonna Build a First Model ...

Here is a picture of my newly cut air flow hole - Ooops forgot that one.

AND, I added some simple contrast to the bottom of the wing tonight.

Mike
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:49 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Heres a thought. See that servo in the main wing closest to you in the pic. That one is brand new, HS-81MG and notice tonight that unless you are under power, you are not going to move it with your hand. You can force it and it will start to me freely, but then sticks in one place again.

The one on the other side, (same as this one) moves freely as all servos I have will do with no power on them. (by freely of coarse I mean in relation to resistance from the gears and servo motor)

What is the potential problem there ????

When I get the servo tester from Bill I bet this one is drawing too much current - Hmmm

Mike
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:50 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
It may have some debris, like shuttle foam, in it. Any drag would make it pull more current. Love the covering BTW. I kept bubbles out by applying it wet (tiny amount of liquid soap in water) then squeegee with balsa stick and using the iron on low heat squeegee out the rest. Iron just hot enough to activate glue. not to shrink.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 07:23 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Heres a thought. See that servo in the main wing closest to you in the pic. That one is brand new, HS-81MG and notice tonight that unless you are under power, you are not going to move it with your hand. You can force it and it will start to me freely, but then sticks in one place again.

The one on the other side, (same as this one) moves freely as all servos I have will do with no power on them. (by freely of coarse I mean in relation to resistance from the gears and servo motor)

What is the potential problem there ????

When I get the servo tester from Bill I bet this one is drawing too much current - Hmmm

Mike
"You can force it and it will start to me freely, but then sticks in one place again"

I have experienced this and after opening the servo the final gear exhibited a borken tooth. Of course your problem might be a little different becasue this is a MG gear train but, most likely it is associated with some busted nylon gears or a jam deformed Metal. No Shuttle foam there!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Well it would seem I have some replacement metal gear sets I will never use, so I could try and replace them, But my send them back.

mike
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:52 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Hello Everyone, and thanks again for all the help.

Just came across this Switch Mode - BEC from Dimensions Engineering. Looks to be an easier set up than the UBEC and cost 1/2 the price - Just $16.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

Has anyone had any experience with this? It claims to be the solution for my very problem. And in the PDF Guide, they had a table showing the HS-81's up to 4 using up to an 8s Lipo pack.

Another Neat feature of this BEC for the future (apparently not developed yet) is the coming LVC set up it will have. If it really works, this would be a good fix for using the Griffen 55 brush controller with Lipos as it does not have a LVC Lipo setting.

Let me know what you think

Mike
Last edited by mrm1; Aug 13, 2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:22 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I have used other BEC's and the UBEC is the BEC for me.
There are many reasons it is priced the way it is.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 03:37 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
I have used other BEC's and the UBEC is the BEC for me.
There are many reasons it is priced the way it is.
Reasons....such as.....?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:22 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Hello Everyone, and thanks again for all the help.

Just came across this Switch Mode - BEC from Dimensions Engineering. Looks to be an easier set up than the UBEC and cost 1/2 the price - Just $16.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

Has anyone had any experience with this? It claims to be the solution for my very problem. And in the PDF Guide, they had a table showing the HS-81's up to 4 using up to an 8s Lipo pack.

Another Neat feature of this BEC for the future (apparently not developed yet) is the coming LVC set up it will have. If it really works, this would be a good fix for using the Griffen 55 brush controller with Lipos as it does not have a LVC Lipo setting.

Let me know what you think

Mike
Mike,

The only thing nice about the BEC you posted is the possible ease that you don't have to disable the onboard BEC on the PHX-25. However, I would be cautious on how it is wired to allow for this.

Notice that I purchased the ULTIMATE BEC by Kool Flight Systems and I compared the output currents of each and provided a imagine showing both. The first table is your suggestion and the second is my Ultimate BEC by Kool Flight Systems.

Ultimate BEC provides 3 Amps of output versus your susgestion of 1.25 Amps, also, the Ultimate BEC by Kool Flight Systems is a Shielded PCB and inductor is used to ensure that radio performance is not degraged.
Last edited by guapoman2000; Aug 14, 2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 05:42 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Ultimate BEC by Kool Flight Systems

What makes the Ultimate BEC different from the BEC in my speed controls? Speed controls use a linear voltage regulator to reduce your battery pack voltage to 5 volts. The challenge with this kind of system is that it is limited by the input voltage and output current. Each ESC has a limit as to the amount of watts of heat it can dissipate. The Ultimate BEC is a switching power supply where input voltage and output current are independent of each other.
Will the Ultimate BEC cause any radio interference? Absolutely not. As a matter of a fact, most speed controls put out way more "noise" than the UBEC. The UBEC has been designed on a custom copper flooded board and utilizes a shielded coil to eliminate any "noise". Most importantly, any "noise" that radiates from the UBEC is not relevant to the bands within our radio systems.
How do you keep your battery from running too low? Most speed controls have a low voltage cutoff feature to keep you from running down your battery too low. Most low voltage cutoff features cut power to your motor between 4.7 to 5.5 volts. The UBEC will go into bypass mode at 5.5 volts. Thus, your Rx will still get power from your battery.
How many servos can I run on the UBEC? Servo current vary by brand and type. However, 8-10 servos should be no problem. The main thing to remember is that the UBEC is rated for 3 amps continuous / 5 amps peak.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 07:44 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Guapoman - By resons I meant my experience ie failure and interference (with others) and the ability of the UBEC to feed a stalled retract servo with no ill effect on the flight of the airplane. Not all switch mode BEC's are the same.