HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:27 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,395 Posts
SQuiRT 400 Trainer - Aileron Wing - Stevens AeroModel

This thread is for those wishing to extend the 3CH SQuiRT Speed 400 Trainer with the aileron wing kit.

Background The SQuiRT 400 is a Simple Quite Resilient Trainer of all balsa and hardwood construction designed as a primary trainer for 3ch operation as discussed in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332383 The SQuiRT is a product of Stevens AeroModel www.stevensaero.com
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:49 PM
Chandler Stellar, Arizona, United States
Joined May 2004
394 Posts
So what is your impression of flying the SQuiRT with ailerons? Did you end up with the original dihedral or some other amount?

We Arizonans appreciate your new D tube wings
rkroel is offline Find More Posts by rkroel
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:08 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,395 Posts
Sanded and ready for skin.

The aileron wing for SQuiRT has less dihedral and a fair amount of differential throw built into the design to reduce (not eliminate) rudder coordination. I still enjoy my 3ch setup, however, the aileron wing has a distinct advantage for cross wind performance. In addition the aileron wing lets me slip in for short field landings.

I think the aileron wing is a good skill builder and can teach the novice a great deal about building, setup, and flying with ailerons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkroel
So what is your impression of flying the SQuiRT with ailerons? Did you end up with the original dihedral or some other amount?

We Arizonans appreciate your new D tube wings
Old Jun 07, 2005, 07:07 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
so , can I purchase the SQiuRT wing alone...didn't see any mention of it in your website ...I would rather buy a wing kit and redo it than uncover the wing that is flying....though I fly alot of different planes I really would not rather see this one down if I could or can avoid it ..I have my grandson training on this plane.and he is about ready to move on to 4 channel....TT
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Jun 07, 2005, 11:41 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,395 Posts
Yes, it is listed in the trainers section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall
so , can I purchase the SQiuRT wing alone...didn't see any mention of it in your website ...I would rather buy a wing kit and redo it than uncover the wing that is flying....though I fly alot of different planes I really would not rather see this one down if I could or can avoid it ..I have my grandson training on this plane.and he is about ready to move on to 4 channel....TT
Old Jun 07, 2005, 11:41 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Man, I need to pick one of these up.. I need to get home so I can get my radio, etc.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:46 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenablimp
The aileron wing for SQuiRT has less dihedral and a fair amount of differential throw built into the design to reduce (not eliminate) rudder coordination. I still enjoy my 3ch setup, however, the aileron wing has a distinct advantage for cross wind performance. In addition the aileron wing lets me slip in for short field landings.
Lookin' forward to the crosswind and sideslip capabilities added to the SQuiRT.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:28 PM
what does this button do?
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Wyoming Valle, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Sep 2004
190 Posts
finally got a chance to fly my squirt w/ the aileron wing today. the squirt has been sitting on the shelf for about 10 days. im always a little scared to maden something.
i had to cut off the ele and rud because they were warped badly, i used the origionals as patterns and i used thicker wood.
first let me say that when i was building the wing i didnt use any ca untill i added the d-tube sheeting.
wow. nothing like a 3d puzzle more like leggos everything locked together
then i tacked everything together.
it flew like a dream. i only ran through one battery it was too windy, i didnt want to push my luck.
hopefully tomarrow it isnt going to be as windy.
love that squirt
mle2tie is offline Find More Posts by mle2tie
Old Jul 05, 2005, 11:26 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
My aileron wing arrived today - I might get started on assembly as soon as tomorrow night, but will get started soon in any case. Lookin' forward to it, as I said before.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 06, 2005, 09:20 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,181 Posts
I've had my aileron wing for about a week now... but home improvement has trumped building for the time. I have the wing built and I am in the process of covering - it looks like I built a pretty good twist into the wing - I don't know how I didd that, but I'm sure that is was ALL MY FAULT - whatever the reason. I will try to use the covering to straighten it out, if not possible, I will order another. Note - the wires on the GWS pico servos are too short to reach throught the wing, so I'll have to extend them a little.

The Squirt was my first U-build-it and I have really enjoyed it. Yesterday I snuck out for a short flying recess - and promptly flew the squirt into my head. It was one of those really slow and really low passes and I was mesmerized by the approaching plane until I snapped out of it and ducked. I caught the right wheel just above my right ear. Talk about a spin! Picked her up and tossed it back into the sky for more not-quite-so low and slow passes.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:15 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Man, do I wish I had this stout Aileron wing for my first trainer...

For anyone having a little warping trouble with tail feathers, don't give up without trying a few tricks. You can use a hot iron on the convex side, you can put em the sun convex side up or you can mist a little water on the concave side. As a cabinetmaker I've used a few of these tricks for hardwood slabs that aren't behaving. Once covered, you can shrink the covering on the concave side to make adjustments. Covering will also do wonders to true up a wing, so don't panic if you have moderate amount of twist.
-Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jul 06, 2005, 11:40 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,395 Posts
Depending on how bad the twist is... you can work it out by reaching for the windex... or rubbing alcohol. Wet the wing down and weight it down over a surface that you are certain is flat. Allow to dry overnight. As this is a D-Tube design you're gonna want to focus on wetting that area. Problem is the wet solution will probably shrink the wood spanning the ribs and your D-Tube will slightly scallop in... not a big deal considering the gain of having a flat straight wing.

One more option is to cut free the leading edge this opens the tube.... Re-Glue the leading edge with the wing held flat on your work surface. The Leading edge really locks the wing in. If you glue it on with the wing twisted it will hold that position. Nothing says you have to have a hardwood leading edge. You could easily remove the hard wood, use a sanding block, sand back the LE nice and flat and replace with a rather HARD piece of 3/16" square balsa... then sand it round to match the airfoil. Of course, when you replace the leading edge make certain things are square and flat.

I guess what I am getting at is even if you go for another wing kit you can easily fix a warped structure using some of these tricks.

If the warp is very minor I'd just heat it out with covering...

Hope this helps.
-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
I've had my aileron wing for about a week now... but home improvement has trumped building for the time. I have the wing built and I am in the process of covering - it looks like I built a pretty good twist into the wing - I don't know how I didd that, but I'm sure that is was ALL MY FAULT - whatever the reason. I will try to use the covering to straighten it out, if not possible, I will order another. Note - the wires on the GWS pico servos are too short to reach throught the wing, so I'll have to extend them a little.

The Squirt was my first U-build-it and I have really enjoyed it. Yesterday I snuck out for a short flying recess - and promptly flew the squirt into my head. It was one of those really slow and really low passes and I was mesmerized by the approaching plane until I snapped out of it and ducked. I caught the right wheel just above my right ear. Talk about a spin! Picked her up and tossed it back into the sky for more not-quite-so low and slow passes.

JimNM
Old Jul 07, 2005, 09:30 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,181 Posts
Bill - thank you for the building advice. I will try to do you proud with this wing. I'm loving the R/E planform - I have never smiled soooo much while flying.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 08, 2005, 01:18 PM
Having Fun!!!
Cary, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jun 2001
501 Posts
Thanks Bill, having a ball with my Squirt with ailerons!

Some Pictures:
FredN is offline Find More Posts by FredN
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:57 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,731 Posts
Can I put a tailwheel on the Suirt?
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC