Old Jun 07, 2005, 02:36 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Help!
Ace Wizard .049

Hey folks,
Before I got back into this hobby 5 months ago, the last plane I built and flew about 12 years ago was a little 1/2A called the Ace Wizard... I think. I have no idea what I did with it. It had a one piece foam wing, and a balsa square fuse and tail feathers. I flew it with an .049. I remember the 2 standard servos and Rx + battery had more than enough room. So I'm wondering if this kit is still out there or if anyone can recommend something similar. I don't remember too many specs, but it was rudder elevator and I'd say 32 inch wingspan or so, and looked like a little Cessna. I think with modern micro gear and a 2s lipo this would make for a great little park flyer. Anyone remember this plane. I got it from Tower..... like I said, 12 years ago.
Thanks,
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:47 PM
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Feb 2001
179 Posts
Ace Whizard

The kit is still being produced, and should be available at your LHS. If not, Either Quantum Models, or Ehobbies should have them. Nice flying plane. It can be flown as an electric, or nitro.

Steve ܰ
SMCLEM is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEM
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:00 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
The Wizard brings back many fond memories and yes it is still made. Tower no longer carries them.

Try Quantum:
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/qua...ls/default.asp

But if you want a better choice there are a couple!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZS57&P=ML - Herr cloud ranger is a wonderful flier
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster-mini.htm
World famous Telemaster

These look good also:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJKE2&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCE9&P=7

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2005, 09:45 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I taught many beginners to build and fly on the Wizard, marvellous design. I even heard of some guys flying Combat with them! Why not, they were cheap enough!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jun 08, 2005, 10:48 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Just ordered one from Quantum. Thanks guys. Got a nice little outrunner and micro flight pack i'm itching to put in something. i remember it used to fly great all out with a throttle less .049. Should perform even better now. Wonder if it'll make me feel 18 again?
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Jun 08, 2005, 11:18 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Wonder if it'll make me feel 18 again?
Let me know if it does. I was 14 or 15 when flying mine (26 years ago!) so if it works that magic I need some!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
I got the AHS special with teh Testors 049 and Mattel pulse single channel setup, in 1987 or so! All new in the box, Out of date then and even more so now, but I wish there was a warehouse still full of that stuff.
Subarubrat is offline Find More Posts by Subarubrat
Old Dec 03, 2005, 10:50 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Hugequark. How about an update? Did you get your plane Did it build well?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Dec 04, 2005, 04:07 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
I have built a half dozen of these. THe first one when I was thirteen (30 years ago!!!) Powered the first one with a cannon micro radio, td 051 with a tarno carb. The most recent one had a little diesel engine..... Too stinky and greasy clean up...

My latest version is powered with an axi 2212 26, 10x6 gws hd prop, 3s lipos!!!! Best flying one yet. That large prop gives it a very wide speed envelope.....
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Dec 04, 2005, 04:52 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
do you still have plans for $
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Dec 04, 2005, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Dr E, that looks to be built from a kit. It looks great! Have all yours been built from kits?
A few more details on your setup? What kind of covering? RTF weight?

This plane was originally advertised as a trainer but I found it to be a bit on the fast side and back then with no throttle... kinda scary for some beginners.

Robert
Old Dec 04, 2005, 11:24 PM
Crazy 'bout Bees
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined Oct 2005
587 Posts
I've got one of these! It was my second plane. Had a Black Widow 049 on it. I was just gonna let it hang from the ceiling, but now I'm kinda inspired to make it electric and get it in the air again.
vax6335 is offline Find More Posts by vax6335
Old Dec 04, 2005, 11:30 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,648 Posts
Flashback!
I flew the fuselages out from under several of those wings! Still have two of those wings and an in progress kit that I made copies of the fuse & tail to go with the old wings! As I recall most of my fuses succumbed to fuel soaking and cartwheeling and plain hard living! But just a second with a hot iron over the covering and the crunched foam underneath would expand right back ready to go again!
I need to restart those projects and make old Ken Willard smile again! Gotta Go!
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Dec 05, 2005, 02:03 AM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Heh! now thats enthusiasm!
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:01 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
All up weigh is around 16 oz. The covering is econocote cub yellow and dark blue. The basswood spars were replaced with carbon fiber rods. It flies better than any of the other ones I've built. Slows down for beautiful landings
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E