SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:11 PM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Kontronik gearbox on Aveox 27/xx/x motor?

I've got a couple of Aveox motors that have been used with MEC gearboxes in sport plane applications. Now I want to use one of them (probably a 27/26/1.5) in an entry level hotliner/warmliner, so need a planetary. I prefer deeper gearing than the 4.4:1 provided by the maxon gearbox and Kontronik offers a 5.2:1. Can a Kontronik planetary gearbox be installed on an Aveox 27 series motor? If so, what would be involved in doing this? Are there other planetary gearboxes with high ratios that would work well with the Aveox 27 series motors?

Brad
Brad S is offline Find More Posts by Brad S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:10 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
S400/480 GBs; bolts spacing is the same, though shafts are 2.3 & 3.2mm (1/8”) respectively.

Looks like the PGM have pinions for both and will do 6:1:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear400.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/gear480.htm
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:11 PM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Jim. Wouldn't you be a little concerned about running the kind of power levels commonly used in hotliners through those gearboxes? I probably should have provided more details - I expect my initial setup, using the 27/26/1.5, to be somewhere in the 500-600W input range. I've considered using a 27/39/2 set up for ~800W input, but would have to buy another high voltage ESC to do so. I would prefer to find a gearbox that could handle either setup. The Maxon or Promaxx gearboxes are what's commonly used on Aveox motors, but I want deeper gearing to run higher voltage/large prop combinations.

Brad
Old Jun 07, 2005, 11:13 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
I have a 27 39 1 with the 5.2 kontronic box . It comes with a 480 size plate for a small extre charge, the problem is the aveox screws are to small to center right in the holes , there is a bit of play . A machinest friend drilled smaller holes 90 degrees from the stock holes .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Jun 08, 2005, 09:42 AM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Quote:
the problem is the aveox screws are to small to center right in the holes , there is a bit of play .
Yep, I thought this might be the case, since the Kontronik motors use 3mm screws while the Aveox uses 2mm. I have access and basic skills with a mill, so think I can handle this issue. What about the shaft length/pinion axial position - any issues there? If you had it to do over again, would you buy and retrofit the Kontronik gb, or opt for a different one? Thanks for the info!

Brad
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:18 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
Brad,

I use a piece of tubing to make the 2mm screws fit snuggly in larger diameter holes; then they’re loaded in shear and be able to handle the loads between the motor and GB.

Wonder if the 450W limit is for the GB, or max of the Mini AC?

I think they can probably handle the loads with a bit of a soft start; a real hard brake – ok too?

Jim
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jun 08, 2005, 06:56 PM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the tubing screw sleeves Jim. Might even take this idea a step further and turn some T-sleeves on the lathe to provide improved load distribution on the screw head.

Brad
Old Jun 08, 2005, 11:36 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad S
Yep, I thought this might be the case, since the Kontronik motors use 3mm screws while the Aveox uses 2mm. I have access and basic skills with a mill, so think I can handle this issue. What about the shaft length/pinion axial position - any issues there? If you had it to do over again, would you buy and retrofit the Kontronik gb, or opt for a different one? Thanks for the info!

Brad
Its easy to trim the shaft with a grinding wheel if you have to and the pinion goes on with loctite so the rest was easy and the kontronic box is second to none in quality , and with parts avalible it should wear well . I'm sure this box can handle 1000+ whatts
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz