SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2002, 08:38 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Need help chosing trainer, 35" or 48" Herr Eng. piper cub!

Hi Guys! I am a total novice and I am about to embark on my first e-flight adventure!
I was wondering if I could get some help on choosing a trainer. I am interested in the Herr Engineering Piper Cub after reading several reviews. But I am not sure which size to get, 35" or 48"? I have decided to purchase a Hitec Flash 5X radio system with Micro 555 RX and 3 Hs-81 Servos (Glider Version) after reading several great discussions on your e-forum. Which plane would I be better off with in terms of my radio system and ease of flying?
Thanks, Roel
rvillegachapa is offline Find More Posts by rvillegachapa
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2002, 10:16 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
You picked a great radio to start with! I can't speak on the Herr Planes but as a novice in flying and building I would suggest an SR batteries Cutie if this is your first built up plane. It has great step by step instructions (I'm covering mine now) and from all reports it flies like a trainer should . I suspect that it will be more expensive than the Herr products but the instructions pay for themselves. If you don't have an instructor to help out with those first few flights I would suggest a T-52 or some other Foamie that can crash and go again with no time consuming repairs but that is another completely different discussion!!
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:42 PM
Garland, Texas
Joined Jul 2000
339 Posts
I would suggest either a litestik or a t-52 either of them survives crashes pretty well and you will be crashing plenty up front. I dont think either of the herr planes would be a good tranier due to the built up construction. You will get as many opinions on this subject as there is members on this board, but take it from someone who learned to fly the hard way (self taught) you want something that is

(A) Easy to repair (cause you will be repairing it)
(B) Not real expensive (does not hurt to total it as much)
(C) Simple construction because you will be practicing step (A)

all that said this is a wonderful hobby,one I love dearly as I am sure you will too. Good luck and happy flying
Rekit is offline Find More Posts by Rekit
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:47 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Sorry about the misspelling, Need help Choosing...!!!!!!
Roel
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:54 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Where could I find a good inexpensive foamie to begin with?
Should I get a trainer made completly out of foam or can I get one with wings of foam and fuselage of balsa ex, ace simple series piper?
Where can I find a T52?
Thanks, Roel
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:06 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
Roe,

Welcome to the ezone. Are you planning on going solo or have someone help you?

Either way I think the 48" cub powered properly would be better with the Hitec 81's. I believe the 35" would be better suited for Hitec 55's.

If your going solo some of the other recommendations might be better. I don't have one, but the T-52 has been recommended frequently and is pretty inexpensive. http://www.jkaerotech.com/

I prefer built up balsa personally, but foam seems to be good for training on.
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:29 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Tim,
I think I am gearing for a solo flight after some time on the FMS simulator. But I also have the option of a local instructor who charges reasonbly per hr.
I should buy a foamie, but I am on a tight budget and I really can't afford the micro servos for the foamie! Would all foamies require micro rx and servos?
Thanks, Roel
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:45 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
Roel,

I just got done reading about the T-52 and it looks like your Hitec 81's would be fine for this plane. All foamies don't require micro servos. The smaller 'stick' planes do, but a plane like the T-52 has a 52" wingspan, and can tolerate a litte extra weight.

The more I look at this plane it looks like a plane I'm going to mention to a local guy interested in electric for training. Another plane I've seen mentioned is the Push-e cat.

As far as an instructor charging for teaching how to fly. Unless he charges a case of beer or something a local AMA field should be able to help you out for free. Maybe a local guy will chime in and volunteer to help.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:06 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Thanks, Tim! Your help is greatly appreciated! This forum rocks!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:28 AM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
Tim, If I went with the foamie T52 as a trainer, would I be able to use the same gear on the Herr Cub down the line? For example, Speed control? Motor? Battery? Etc?
Thanks, Roel
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:47 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
rvillegachapa, you certainly have Piper Cub on the brain

Anyway, I take it you're planning on "teaching yourself?" Go with a foamie, or you'll just end up with a pile of matchsticks.

I just looked up the JK Aerotech T52, and it's a Speed 400 powered plane. If the Herr Piper Cub you want to eventually build also recommends a Speed 400, the gear will be transferrable.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:12 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Here's my T.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Last edited by William A; Mar 03, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 01:44 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
Hey William,

Nice looking plane. Is that geared or direct? Speed 400?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 01:52 PM
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Apr 2002
199 Posts
William, great looking plane! I have been sold on the T-52! Is that all original stock off the kit or did you modify it a bit? I am considering buying the complete T52 kit advertised online by aerotech which includes motor, speed control, batteries, etc. Would I be better off buying the motor, batteries, charger, speed control, etcs somewhere else and if so would it be cost effecient?
Thanks, Roel
Old Apr 17, 2002, 09:27 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
I think the recommended electronics they sell with it seem like a decent deal. The only thing I don't like is the connectors they sell with it. They should sell a quality connector like sermos or deans. If you make your own packs you can save some money, but that is a whole new can of worms.