Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:05 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
House of Balsa Electric Acro Cub Schoolyard

Ok this is going to be some project. I want to fly something Bigger and made out of Balsa. I'm kind of burn't out on the Foamy Park Flyer Stuff. I ended up ordering a House of Balsa Electric Acro Cub Schoolyard kit. I haven't built anything from Kit for about three years when I stopped flying Glow. Also I haven't flown a Balsa airplane for that long too.

So far My Plan Setup is.

AXI 2814/12
E-Flite 40 Amp ESC
Berg 5 RX

Airplane Specs.

Wingspan: 52.5" (1333mm)
Wing Area: 350 sq in (22.61 sq dm)
Weight with Radio: 32oz (907g)
Wing Loading: 13.17 oz/sq ft (40.18 g/sqdm)
Fuselage Length: 469.9 mm (18.5")

I have a couple of questions for you guys. How many Cell Nimh Battery Pack should I use? I could use from 7-10 Cell pack. I cannot swing the Funds for Lipos to fly an airplane this size. Maybe in a couple of years. Also I already have Hitec 55 Micros Servos so I fear these servos may be to small. I want to do a good Job on this one some any comments is Welcome. Wish Me Luck.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:23 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
You're way overkill on the motor. All you need is a 2808/20, CC P-25, a 9/10 cell pack of GP1100s (prefer 10 cell pack) or 3S1P 2200/2600/3100 size Lipo . I flew mine the past couple of years with a 9x4.5 and just changed over to a 9x6 for a change. Not that much different . This plane is also my 'ski' plane in the winter .... A tough fun plane . AUW for mine is around 25oz covered in UltraCote.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:30 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Ok RClark I do have to Agree about the Motor. I guess I was just Power Hungry. Also I want it to be Aerobatic Capable. I have Polyquest Lipo 1800 Packs that are good up to 21amps already. Maybe I wont have to use Nimh Cells after all.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:46 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
I think you'll find you have plenty of power with the 2808/20 . The motor flys the plane 'very' uncub like . The only tricky thing about the cub is it is rudder sensitive on the takeoff run . Of course I have mine set up for full rudder which doen't help .... Lately, I decided not to fool around and just firewall it. The plane jumps into the air in just a couple of feet ....
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:49 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks for the Tips. What Servos are you using? I kind of worried that my Hitec 55 Servos are not going to cut it. Also are your running Dual or Single Aileron Servos? Thanks for your time.
Last edited by fly4fun; Jun 06, 2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 11:54 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
I used 55s for rudder and elevator. A single hs-81 runs the ailerons.

I just set a guy up with exactly my setup (first time EP, long time glow) and he is in the process of building his AcroCub . I set him up with hs-81s all around by accident (I didn't look in my plane before buying the parts ) . He'll be fine though -- just a little overkill I think .
Last edited by rclark; Jun 06, 2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 12:37 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun
Also were your running Dual or Single Aileron Servos?
I am running mine with two h55s on the ailerons. It is great to use them as flaperons/spoilerons mixed with the elevator to tighten the loops both ways. Just keep the mix low; you do not want much of the full span flaps dropping as you add elevator in flare. It does a terrible tip stall as you slow for landing with flaps! Also, check the wing before going out each flight to assure you do not have any warps. She has great low speed characteristics with a straight wing, but I have heard many say a slight warp will make the tip with wash-in act really badly!

Steve

PS, run it on 3s if you got em, it really appreciates the lighter loading (but the windy weather performance is better with 10 Nimh).
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:23 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Awsome Guys. Im going with 4 Hitec 55 Servos all around with two for Ailerons. I can't wait to start building Her. Thanks a Bunch.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:45 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
Here is a couple pictures of mine with and without skis .... An all around fun flyer ... I put just a little bit of wash-out in my wings. Helped a lot. Definitely don't want any wash-in .
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:49 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Those are some nice Pictures Rclark. Thanks a Bunch for Sharing. Was the build pretty easy and straight forward? I ordered my from TowerHobbies.com.

David
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:53 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
David,

You remember all the jokes about shake the box and a plane falls out? House of Balsa was the first I remember that being applied to! Not really true, but not a pitfall to be found as long as you have a flat building board! Keep us updated!

Regards,
Steve

BTW, rclark, that is a beautiful scheme, looks like the Super Cub I got my initial flight training in! My wife bought me mine for Christmas a couple of years ago and she insisted that I make it look exactly like the one on the box! Her theory was that if she bought it, it needed to look like what she bought! I liked the scheme, anyway, so I saved the fight for something important!
Last edited by kitfoxdrvr; Jun 06, 2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 01:56 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
Very easy. I'd built a few of MM kits before this one and I had no trouble. The only new technique for me, at the time, was the glass tape and epoxy wing joint . You won't have any problem with it .... Fun build. The only suggestion would be to double the battery tray floor. I broke mine several times before adding 1/8 doubler. No problem now . Add a battery seatbelt too . I didn't bother using the 'battery hold down' rods that were supplied either. Velco is the way to go here ...

Oh yeah, dermel (file) down the tips of the gear screws which poke through the gear block. Easy to snag your battery pack on them (or a finger ) .

Thanks guys for the compliments ... Simple scheme, but it stands out well against the sky .

Richard
Last edited by rclark; Jun 06, 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 02:08 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks Guys. I have no problem building Kits as long as there isn't a bunch of cutting, sanding and shaping wood involved.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 02:12 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
The only real shaping I remember is the leading edge of the wing and they provide a nice plywood template to help with that-no problem.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 02:15 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
I love Laser Cut Wood Cut Kits. Hee Hee