HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2001, 12:30 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
The New Timer is a very cool e-plane!

Just got in a batch of the New Timer from Cermark. We are very impressed with the airplane. Took one out of the box and had it flying in less than an hour. We received the silver version, which has the two-sub micro servos installed along with speed 400 motor. We used a Pixie 14 speed control; FMA Extreme receiver and I had an 8-cell 1700 mah battery pack from a Zagi 400 so I installed that. All up weight was 26 ounces!

Flew great the first flight. It was a bit windy and overcast but had to try it before I went home! A bit faster than the typical Parkflier, more like a schoolyard Flyer, but I managed to fly it in the small parking lot in front of our shop. The New Timer handled the wind quite well. Good handling and best of all a glide almost like a sailplane. I can't wait until I have a good day to take it out for a long thermal flight!

If you want to see what it looks like, go to: http://www.nesail.com/newtimer.htm
BTW…We have them in stock!
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2001, 01:47 AM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
I just got mine today. It's the silver edition also. However, mine came equipped with a 480 motor. Everything I've seen about the plane (including the Cermark website) only mentions the Speed 400 motor. Is the 480 powered one a newer version?
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:43 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Wow, Sal, that looks great. I think I saw a review somewhere, I'll have to dig through my magazines.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:53 PM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
This is a bit confusing...about the motors. This is due to the fact that the term "480" is used for several different motors. Multiplex sells a motor that is the same as the on in the New Timer and call it a 480. It is really a longer Speed 400 or 380 type motor. It does have noticeably more power. Graupner calls their ball bearing motor that is slightly bigger with better brushes a 480 BB. Multiples call this motor a 400 BB. Confusing enough?
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Jun 08, 2001, 05:01 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
It is the long can 400... just like the Permax 480. Anyway, I was pleased to find it had the better motor in it.
Old Jun 09, 2001, 09:34 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Had the first flights with mine tonight. The plane balanced perfectly without having to make any adjustments. ROG in just a few feet... good climb... plenty of power (unlike some pre-packaged ARF combos)... and very stable flight. Excellent glide, and as Sal noted, this plane is a little faster than you might expect. Now that I have everything trimmed out, time to CUSTOMIZE!!! Mine is the transparent purple with white trim. I got some Pearl Purple paint to do accent trim on the all white fuselage, and some wild looking flame decals. This is nice, relaxing plane to fly... good looking, and a much more affordable alternative to the "Silky Wind".
Old Jun 10, 2001, 10:55 AM
Ephrata, PA.
Joined Apr 2001
68 Posts
Have you guys done any takeoff rolls. I see it has wheels. Are all of your takeoffs done by a hand launch. This is a very interesting looking airplane. I would like to hear some more flight reports.
shredder is offline Find More Posts by shredder
Old Jun 10, 2001, 11:03 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
It does look like a quick and dirty knock-off of the Silky Wind. None of the elegant lines of the Silky wind. Has anyone tried both?
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Jun 10, 2001, 06:18 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Shredder - All of my flights have been rolling takeoffs. It will takeoff in just a few feet... I never measured but would say it was less than 20 feet, and that was in dead air. Give yourself plenty of room to land though, it glides so well that I was overshooting the runway.

JoeR - There really isn't much difference in the looks of the two. The Silky Wind has the more pronounced lines at the front of the fuse (the compartment area). Other than that, they are almost identical... except for the price tag. The New Timer has a more powerful motor, and the servos and control rods are already mounted. I would think the flight characteristics of the two would have to be very close.