HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2005, 08:49 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
GLMBA Model Expo 2005...July 2-3, 2005

I just received the following information:

Golden Triangle Marine Modelers are hosting the Great Lakes Model Boat Association Model Expo 2005:

Kitchener City Hall,
Kitchener, Ontario
Canada

July 2-3, 2005

7 classes of judging, with prizes for scratch-built, semi scratch, and kit-built. I have posted the flyer and registration form I received, If anyone from the Golden Triangle Club is a participant here, would it be possible to post an itinerary?
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2005, 04:30 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Last day for pre-registration is June 15th.

Is anyone else planning on attending? I am hoping to bring the new boat in whatever condition she is in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:09 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
I spoke to Jack Kipfer last night, and got a few more details on the Expo. There will be in the neighborhood of 100 boats at this show, with builders coming from all over Ontario, and many from "south of the border". Many of the boats are reported to be museum quality.

Setup begins at 6:00 am, with things getting under way around 10:00 am. There will be narrated runs in the 60' x 100' pond in fromt of Kitchener City Hall.

I've never met Mr. Kipfer, but apparently he knows what he's talking about ... Some of Jack Kipfer's Models.

So... my registration has been sent in, the boats not finished, and I suspect I'm a lot out of my league, but I'll be there with a camera!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2005, 05:51 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
What an eye-opener.

Here are some pics from the show. I didn't get as much opportunity to browse and chat as I would have liked, as we were there with three young children. (I think I understand why the average age of the serious modelers was about 20 years my senior.)

The pictures don't do the boats justice. This was the first show of this nature I have attended, and the workmanship was a pleasure to behold.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2005, 05:54 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
And some more
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2005, 07:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Beautiful models! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Those identical twin brothers with identical wooden runabouts are amazing.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 03, 2005, 07:18 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
*Doh*

I'll leave the duplicate there just so everyone will get the joke .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:31 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,472 Posts
Nice pictures RG.
Looks like a lot of large scale or just large boats.
I want to know what the "whale" does!?!
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:39 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Sorry I can't tell you a whole lot about the whale. When it was on the water I was up to my uhhh... "elbows" in gremlins. I believe my son said it squirted water, but aside from that it was a pretty "simple" model.

There were a lot of large scale boats there; Hood, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, and Graf Spee all 5' or longer, plus the big freighters.

All in all nearly 120 boats were entered
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:48 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
How was the water???
Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 03, 2005, 08:58 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
The water was pretty shallow at maybe a little over 6". (I need to get more memory for my camera!) There was no submerged subs running, but boat launch and retrieval was easy .

The pond was plenty big enough for more than a dozen boats to be on the water with no cramping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2005, 04:07 PM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
Judging

Each boat was judged by three people.

I entered my boat in the competition for the feedback this would provide.

Ok... Well thats what I'm telling myself now.

Prior to realizing my boat wouldn't be finished, and before seeing the competition, I may have had delusions that I would stand a chance at placing.

Considering the fact I brought a simple, incomplete boat to stand amongst the masterpieces you see, I was quite happy to recieve an average score of 61 out of 100 possible points! With the judges scoresheets in hand, if I can complete the boat by next year, I may even manage a solid 'B' .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2005, 07:15 PM
michigan
Joined Feb 2005
39 Posts
RGin,You get a 100 in my book for the legacy you have left your boys,and for the integrety this will no doubt instill in your kids.Bet your budget is 10% of any of those boats, built by hand starting with 2x4 lumber? Pricless!! There is nothing you can do for the world that could mean more. Hats off to ya mate!! P.S. start that doll furnature yet?
viking57 is offline Find More Posts by viking57
Old Jul 04, 2005, 09:10 PM
Canada, ON, Port Colborne
Joined Mar 2005
132 Posts
Tha whale actually has a working rowboat that runs in front of it and yes it does squirt water. The model is affectionately named Mobey Dick if I remember correctly and is one of a few funny boats run in the clubs in Southern Ontario. There is also a water spitting duck made from a decoy, An RC Shark Fin (My creation) that is a full working submarine and a Radio Controlled Iceberg that sinks when hit by a model of the Titanic.

I have had the pleasure of running with most of the boats you saw at the show as I was once Vice President of the Metro Marine Modellers. The Golden Triangle Modellers are also a great bunch of guys with some exceptional modellers.

Alex
niterdr is offline Find More Posts by niterdr
Last edited by niterdr; Jul 04, 2005 at 09:25 PM.