SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2002, 02:30 PM
Stuart Fl 34997
Joined Feb 2002
70 Posts
HL Mini Tornado flies

Judgement day arrived and I was quite pleased. Test glided it first then my neighbor got me 3 mistakes high, he's experienced with his Zagi and Im a new pilot so this possibly saved me some repairs. I'm using lions, the 830's from Mark Hackett, with the protection circuit bypassed, good duration and performance. Since I used lions the CG had to be augmented by about 11/2 Oz in the nose. I cut a receptacle in the bottom for the battery, case removed, and mounted the servos on top as suggested by someone in this forum. Also as suggested the throw on the servos was minimized and this made it a lot easier to fly for me. We did some sloppy loops and some rolls, not true axial but not bad for the first flight. I would definitely suggest this for a first wing. The only down side is the abysmal instructional manual. I'm using a Hitec Focus 3 with feather receiver
Crashmaster is offline Find More Posts by Crashmaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2002, 02:59 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Are you using 2 or 3 cells on the li-ons? Glad to hear the maiden voyage was a success! I'm sure your loops and rolls will be more crisp when you max out your horn settings.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 17, 2002, 06:02 AM
Stuart Fl 34997
Joined Feb 2002
70 Posts
HL Mini Tornado

Hi Tres, I,m using the orig 2 cell setup. I wanted a wing that could use the lions which so far I have been pleased with in performance and duration. I'm limited to the amp draw with these and maybe a 300 motor is the limit. I have a M100 sitting on my bench and it will trip the circuit immediately if the circuit is not bypassed or judicious use of throttle is not used. There are other wings I considered, the tilde and others but so far Im pleased with the mini t.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 07:22 AM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
976 Posts
Don't forget EAM's Pop-Fly. It works great on Qualcoms and can fly Indoors and Out!! Takes about 2 hrs to build up.
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:12 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
How did you get CG on the MT? I had to leave the NiCd battery in there, mounted with the QC, to get the balance.
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Apr 17, 2002, 11:58 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,949 Posts
MT CG

If built according to plans it will balance with 6. 7 0r 8 cell packs. However while flying inverted and low I crashed and destroyed one elevon and could not find all the pieces. Built some coroplast elevons and had to add a 5 cent piece to the nose. That's the problem with that wing, no way to move the batt more forward and arrive at the right cg. So had to add weight. Do really like the wing and it is the only other plane I have that can safely fly in 10 to 15 MPH winds. The Mini T and my Zagi are always with me ready to fly. I found the absolute best pack to use is the 8 cell 720Ma NiMH. 7 to 10 min with almost full power at all times in wind. 10 to 13 min if it is calm which has happened only one time since Nov of 2001!! Dont be afraid to add nose weight as the wing will take it and still slo fly!

Regards,
Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:05 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Where are you mounting your QCs, where the traditional bat was?

I need more than a nickle, more like few silver dollars with the QC, I use a bolt. I hate adding weight.

Also, does the writing on your prop face to the rear of the plane? Mine does, but that does not seem correct.

In any event, I love this plane. I have a Zagi 400X, 2 Razors, and I needed something to fly in a park that did not scare the kids.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 02:19 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Crash wrote:
==Hi Tres, I,m using the orig 2 cell setup. I wanted a wing that could use the lions which so far I have been pleased with in performance and duration. ==

Very cool! It's hard to go back to ni-cads after flying 30+ minutes on Li-ons, I know that much! I had been scoping out that PAF wing, but it sounds like you managed to build your own for a lot less!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Apr 17, 2002, 08:35 PM
Stuart Fl 34997
Joined Feb 2002
70 Posts
My Mini tornado

Inorder to the CG I added seven 7 gram weights about a far foward as possible, thats a total of 49 grams. I agree adding weight inorder to get the correct CG is the last resot Four in the battery compartment and three in the leading edge. I positioned the battery cutout as far foward on the underside as possible without going through the top of the wing. As mentioned before the two cells are without the case. As for the propeller question my writing on the prop faces foward. It seems ok in this config. I flew tonight for a short time, this thing is hard to pic up in low light, but my eyes arn,t what they use to be...
Old Apr 18, 2002, 06:34 PM
jah
BALD MEMBER
North Georgia
Joined Nov 2001
1,851 Posts
Congrats on the MiniTornado Crashmaster, I have one that I put a speed280bb on. I use 8X500ARs, and 8X600AEs, but once you cut in the "compartments" in the wing for your batteries you are pretty much commited, unless you add weight that doesn't contribute to the flying (except CG placement). The writing on the prop should face foward, but on mine I flew it at least 100 times with it on backwards
I love mine, very tough, mine has been through many crashes (25 plus ) and it keeps on ticking.
Here is a thread about building it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=build

Good luck with yours!
jah is offline Find More Posts by jah
Old May 20, 2002, 12:06 AM
MRN
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2002
169 Posts
Mini Tornado THE ANSWER

The Mini Tornado in stock form was just OK. I swapped the 280 for a 300 motor. Prop speed went from 4400RPM to 6800RPM with all else the same. The 300 burned out in about 6 flights. Next I put a 280BB motor in it. Prop speed is now 6800 to 6900. It flys great & the motor doesn't get hot. I think this is THE ANSWER. I flew it in the light rain today & it is great. Flys at 1/2 throttle. Climbs very well at full throttle. The battery get a little warm but not hot. I'll leave all the other planes home. Mike
MRN is offline Find More Posts by MRN
Old May 20, 2002, 10:54 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Rather than adding dead weight to the MT to get it to balance,
why not add a second QC 830 pack in parallel with the first to
get even longer flight times and to help balance it properly.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old May 20, 2002, 02:16 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DNA
Rather than adding dead weight to the MT to get it to balance,
why not add a second QC 830 pack in parallel with the first to
get even longer flight times and to help balance it properly.
Cool. How do you hook them up in parallel?