HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:45 PM
Glasgow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Apr 2004
50 Posts
Forgot how much fun the MJ is . It was gathering dust so I took it out for an airing & had a lot of fun. Here is a link to video clip

http://www.stardust.biz/Movies/microjet230605.zip 15mb

8cell 500ar ncd
480bb motor
sc88pro is offline Find More Posts by sc88pro
Last edited by sc88pro; Feb 08, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2005, 11:28 AM
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2005
959 Posts
thinking of getting a MP jet. I have a 16-15-4 laying around that I was going to use with a APC 6x4e prop. What speed can I expect? Is this a decent combo?
Travy is offline Find More Posts by Travy
Old Jul 07, 2005, 11:52 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
I am too afraid to fly mine. Got myself a Multiplex EasyGlider instead, much more relaxing .
I don't know the top speed but i would say it hits or exceeds 50 MPH, but someone else probably has had one tracked, the'll know the speed. With a sp400, its pretty fast with 8 cells. I imagine a MEGA would probably make it into a rocket. Which i am sure will make it a decent combo!

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Jul 07, 2005, 12:43 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Hay James,
Even with the stock 400, the microjet is almost to hard to keep track of at full throttle. So I put a GWS 350 w/ 1300mah, 2 cell lipo and I fly it 75% power, because its still way fast, But it launches real easy and even slopes a bit on a windy day. Flying weight is under 11oz!, so landings are easyier. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jul 07, 2005, 01:12 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Wow!! That is a light Micro jet! I hear now and again, that the microjet is best when its kept light and powerful. I also imagine a heavy but powerful setup would be quite a handful though! Should be fun!

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:41 AM
"Bad karma Boy"
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
137 Posts
Seems like I'm just buying models while waiting for parts to arrive, soon I'll have to many to fly

Anyway.

I see my LHS has a microjet in stock and was wondering if you guys thought my setup would be ok.

I was thinking of using the MP JET Brushless AC 25/35-20 2650 KV motor, with Phoenix 35 Brushless ESC, 7 Cell nimh KAN 950 mah packs, Micro servos and a 6x4 APC prop.

Will this thing fly ok?
Any suggestions?

thanks, cheers
WalterRC is offline Find More Posts by WalterRC
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:21 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
WalterRC

The setup seems to be good, but remember the torque roll on the handlaunch. I have programmed my tx with a launching switch with about 5mm of up elevon. I have had very good luck with this so far. Let us know how it went and good luck.
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:04 AM
"Bad karma Boy"
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
137 Posts
Thanks.
Whats torque roll on launch?

does it roll to the left or right on launch? And why only during launch and not normal flight?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:05 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
WalterRC

The roll occurs on the launch because it then has to low speed and to little wing to lift directly. When it picks up the speed the rolling disappear. If you do not dial in some up elevator the plane most commonly do not get enough speed/lift and crashes. Many flyers have experienced this, but on the light side it is easy to repair with CA glue. If you keep it very light like mine the handlaunch is easy, but what is the total weight of your setup? The plane it self with the hardware installed weighs about 100 grams. If you try to keep it under 450 grams you should not get to much problems with it. Keep in mind that this plane is very sensitive and it is wise to keep the rates of the elevator and the aileron low if not it spins like a drill.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:10 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2005
1,137 Posts
WalterRC

I forgot to mention that it rolls left. If you dial in about 2mm more right elevator differential than left it mostly keeps level and counteract the torqueroll if the prop you use is not to large.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:28 PM
"Bad karma Boy"
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
137 Posts
Cool thanks iceman.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 05:18 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
How is possible not to change the thrust line by the motor tier ups, passing from the bottom of the MJ?
It looks like to outer one (near the prop) stretch the Elapor and change the thrust line resulting to nose down with throttle on.

Better motor mount suggestions??

BR/Antomo
antomo is offline Find More Posts by antomo
Old Oct 03, 2005, 09:31 AM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antomo
How is possible not to change the thrust line by the motor tier ups, passing from the bottom of the MJ?
It looks like to outer one (near the prop) stretch the Elapor and change the thrust line resulting to nose down with throttle on.

Better motor mount suggestions??

BR/Antomo
Here is how I mounted my motor on the MicroJet. I knew about the roll and dive issue, but did not experience what I read about on launch. It took off at a slight toss with half throttle at about a 20-30 degree up angle. I did have my elevator pulled back since that was what I read as the recommendation. I didn't hook up a switch - which if needed I would have after the maiden. I didn't experience any dip or roll - I was using a 5x5 prop and it took off like a rocket. I am still kicking myself since I had the day before fried three Dual Conversion receivers and didn't wait for my Electron 6 DC to arrive - I used a cheap GWS 4 channel receiver - thinking 1000 feet was enough, but learned those are only good upto 500 feet. Well about 1000 feet up I managed to get her turned and she at that point had a mind of her own. Fortunately it came down in the field like large brick. So I doubt this mount can be considered conclusive but is inline with the fuse. I will get the pieces together and uncrush the fuse for a second maiden. This time I'll use a 7x3 prop or even 6x2. But the larger the prop - the more chance of torque roll - eh ?

Submitted for your approval:

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
469 Posts
question

Hi guys,, what about this setup for the MJ,, Mega 16/7/8, APC E 6x4 ,, 25 amp esc and 1300mah lipo 3 cell 15 C,,,,or 1500 mah 3 Cell,,,
thanks
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,390 Posts
hi guys,
I got a microjet rr yesterday.
For those who don't know, the rr stands for Ready for Radio and it means the microjet comes pretty much put together with the servos, esc and motor installed. All that remains is for the pilot to install his favorite reciever, solder on his batt connectors, glue in the vertical tail pieces and put on the stickers. On the box multiplex claims that this can be done in 15 minutes. It took me a little longer than that.

My setup is as follows:

stock motor/prop/esc/servos
fma m5 rx with azarr antenna
3s 850mah li po batteries.

AUW = just shy of 12 ounces

mods necessary: remove stock canopy connectors and go to town with the dremel. Any more further forward and my batteries would be beyond the tip of the canopy.
I intend to use magnets to hold the canopy down....right now...its held down with tape...don't look at it when its close.

flight (all hand launches with radio in one hand and plane in the other...just gotta make sure i remember which one to toss):
first attempt...dirt!
not enough up elevator....slightly too much weight on the nose. i had taped a little good luck penny on the nose...just in case i had messed up with my balancing. Don't know how many heard the old saying...a nose heavy plane might more likley fly..while a tail heavy plane crashes. Anyway..i removed the penny and gave it a few clicks of up elevator....and watched my fans walk away in disgust...probably thinking...novice with a cheap plane that'll never fly....

second attempt....the wings rock a bit and some of my die hard fans are now chanting fly it..fly it....and i'm not sure if thats helping. I give it full up elevator and it seems to take forever to respond . I'm also in a little park so i have to start banking soon before i hit the tree line. After what seems like forever the plane builds up enough speed and starts to respond. Its now on "step" or moving at that crucial speed where it actually does what you tell it to do. As long as i keep the speed up this thing flies great. When I slow down it gets mushy and the controls don't respond as much, turns are way wider and its much much harder to pull up. i fly around on the 850, playing with the throttle between middle for level flight and full throttle for sweet climb outs. When full throttle is not fun anymore i decided to land before the esc forces me to This one does not reset...when it cuts off...its off...all you have is elevator and aileron...no more motor till battery is disconnected.
I somehow manage to bring it in slowly in spite of a few gusts that threaten to make the nose pop up. It drops flat on the belly with no skidding right at my feet. It was a little rough...but everything was ok....no damage....batteries a lot cooler than I expected.

third attempt:
i put a fresh pack in..this is a new battery, i remember charging it last night and noticing that it only took 58 from the triton....I thought that was odd (its new but had been sitting around for a few months) but possible. I give the motor a test run...it seems ok. I stand there with the plane and wait for the right combination of nerves and wind....the wind dies a little...i give it full throttle and my best olympic toss...this one should get me gold....oh no...DIRT!

The motor cut out even as the plane left my fingers. The control surfaces of this plane do absolutely nothing even on my lightweight plane at the speed of a handlaunch. i gave it full up and still watched it struggle and fall nose first into the ground.
-bad battery pack...runs under medium load...cuts out after 2 seconds of full throttle
-slight damage, if I didn't tell you where it was you'd never know.

Oh well....time to put on the stickers and recharge my good 850mah lipo pack...i need to get some more of these...and next time I'll give a new pack a really good test run...on the ground.

I'm now a member of the microjet crowd...yay!
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze