HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:33 PM
novice flyer
Dexter, Missouri
Joined Oct 2004
182 Posts
Best Wire for Hot Wire Foam Cutter

I have built a hot wire bow and used an old guitar string as the hot wire with a 12V battery, but it burnt up as I was cutting a wing every time I tried it. Does anyone know of a good hot wire and where to get it at a good price? Thanks
andyg is offline Find More Posts by andyg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
You need to get "resistance wire"...I think some people use nichrome (??). I think I've read that Nichrome is probably not the best. Not sure what type of wire it is, but one I use just had "resistance wire" and cost about $5.

Ex.
ExtremeSkyes is offline Find More Posts by ExtremeSkyes
Old Jun 04, 2005, 11:24 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,026 Posts
I use a high E guitar string (Ernie Ball Super Slinky .008), havent burned one out in 3 years.
SIG sells Nichrome foam cutting wire if you want that.
I do not use a 12 volt battery, I use a rheostat transformer. Some old train transformers work great, if they put out enough amps.
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 05, 2005, 05:45 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
538 Posts
Nichrome wire is the only thing to use.
Available from Sig. May also be available from RCM
Bob G
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Jun 05, 2005, 07:36 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
I use stainless steel fishing leader wire. Get it at a sporting goods or tackle shop. I have been using it for years. For the longest time I never tried cutting foam because I didn't have nichrome. Cheap too. Comes in 25 or 50 foot lengths if I remember correctly. I bought two pack and never opened the second it lasts so long. I don't remember the diameter. Pretty thin though.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jun 05, 2005, 09:10 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I've tried both the Sig and RCM foam cutting wire and I prefer the RCM wire. It's heavier than the Sig wire. You can order it online for $3.95 (5' piece). There is no charge for shipping.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Jun 05, 2005, 10:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
I use .020 piano wire. Shouldn't need enough heat to break the guitar string. only takes around 3-350 degrees F to melt the foam. I use a variac at 8 to 10 amps. Been cutting foam wings since the late 60s. The cutting bow that I use most is a piece of plastic 1/2 in. hot water pipe bent around into a bow with the wire as the bowstring. I have about four different bows from 4 1/2 ft. to 6 in. long. The reason I like the water pipe bow is, it weighs very little.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 05, 2005, 01:09 PM
Carrollton, TX
Joined Feb 2003
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg
I have built a hot wire bow and used an old guitar string as the hot wire with a 12V battery, but it burnt up as I was cutting a wing every time I tried it. Does anyone know of a good hot wire and where to get it at a good price? Thanks
The reason you're burning out your wire is that you can't adjust the voltage you need for a given length of wire regardless of what the wire is made of. People get away with using fixed voltage power sources like batteries and battery chargers only because they were lucky enough to build a bow that was long enough and used heavy enough wire that it didn't burn out the first time they used it and so just continued to use that combination. You can use lots of different wire sizes, thicknesses and alloys for a cutting bow but you've got to have a variable voltage source to be more then just lucky at cutting foam. So you can actually control the wire temperature and be able to repeat that time after time after time.

Your most important question should be to everyone is "what kind of power source do you use with your cutting bow?" Then "what kind of wire do you use?"
Which_way_is_up is offline Find More Posts by Which_way_is_up
Old Jun 05, 2005, 01:24 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,632 Posts
I use a cheap car battery charger plugged into a light dimmer switch,with the stainless steel fishing line leader. Works great. If all you have is a car battery try using light bulbs in series with the wire to act as a resistor. The fishing wire is stronger than the nichrome and allows greater tension for less "sag" or bowing of the wire.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jun 05, 2005, 02:06 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
AndyG,
"Which Way" is right. You need to be able to vary your power to the bow. I have a FeatherCut system that has been used for five years and at last count had done a little over 400 wings. When the wire broke I bought the following:

Inconel Lockwire, .025 diameter, 600 grade, one pound 532 ft. Buying it by the pound is expensive,$43 but if you can split the cost between several folks you will have a lifetime supply. There are different diameters available. I use mine on 28", 48", and 60" bows without problems.

Click on this web link: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=31980212

The distributor is MSC Direct. They are also an excellent source for glass rods and assorted tools and building materials. They are in most major cities and you can get the product same day.

Good luck
LouMelancon is offline Find More Posts by LouMelancon
Old Jun 05, 2005, 03:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
98 Posts
how about MIG (welding) wire ? I am a weldor and have lots of .035 mig wire from work.I am thinking of using it with a 12 volt transformer and a light dimmer . The transformer is made for cb's and stuff and what about 1" pvc for a bow?
rccrasher1967 is offline Find More Posts by rccrasher1967
Old Jun 05, 2005, 04:33 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
rccrasher-
I have used both .035 and .023 welding wire. The .035 created too much drag when pulling it over your templates, if you adjust your heat up it get brittle and breaks. It is a pain trying to get your wire out of the foam at this point. I have had great luck with the .023 wire and i was given a 40 # roll. I have replaced it on my 48" bow wire 1x after about my 10th wing because i was forcing it through due to the wrong voltage setting. The 24" bow has a piece of nichrome wire from sig and it is a lot easier to cut with. I believe it is around .015? Hope this helps. The welding wire will work fine until you get accustomed to cutting. Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Jun 05, 2005, 10:37 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
Stainless steel safety wire, AIRCRAFT GRADE .18 thous. or 20 or 22 what ever you need is available at any Aircraft FBO or parts shop at any airport. Used often for safety wiring many different things on fullsize A/C. The great thing is it costs about $20 bucks for a lifetime supply! You can put quite a bit of tension on it too. Get beautiful flawless cuts in foam when you figure out the right temp. Anothr way to vary your temp is an old train transformer. They are really cheap. Many on eBay. i got one for $12 bucks! For less than $30 bucks you'll be happy!
SpiritQuest is offline Find More Posts by SpiritQuest
Old Jun 05, 2005, 10:56 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
Yep the stainless locking wire is awesome 020 seems about perfect. Tried guitar strings and nichrome... ended up here. I'm sure the stainless leader is great as well. Another nice way to vary temp is by using an old speed control if you have an extra kickin' around.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Jun 05, 2005, 11:05 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
I've got an old Lionel train transformer that must be 50 years old, but it works very well. I like ss safety wire and .020" ss fishing leader.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright