HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:04 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Apr 2002
132 Posts
Could really use some motor help - made mistakes :(

I could really use some help here... I realize I made a few mistakes.

1. I got a 2.8:1 gearbox for my Graupner Speed 600 motor. The instructions say that the distance from the front motor casing to the top of the pinion needs to be 12mm. This means cutting the shaft. Any advice on how/what to cut that shaft with?

2. The pinion I received with the gearbox was a 'press fit' pinion. I tried installing in on the shaft with a small rubber hammer. Long story short.. after a lot of 'tapping' I ended up pushing the back of the motor out of the casing. I managed to re-assemble the motor but I worry that I have somehow damaged it now. Any thoughts on this?

3. HOW does one get a pinion on to the shaft? Is there a special tool to buy?

Thanks for the help!
Sanman is offline Find More Posts by Sanman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:31 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,348 Posts
Quote:
1. I got a 2.8:1 gearbox for my Graupner Speed 600 motor. The instructions say that the distance from the front motor casing to the top of the pinion needs to be 12mm. This means cutting the shaft. Any advice on how/what to cut that shaft with?
Dremel. Otherwise, a hacksaw and file will do in a pinch.
Quote:
2. The pinion I received with the gearbox was a 'press fit' pinion. I tried installing in on the shaft with a small rubber hammer. Long story short.. after a lot of 'tapping' I ended up pushing the back of the motor out of the casing. I managed to re-assemble the motor but I worry that I have somehow damaged it now. Any thoughts on this?
Support the back end of the motor shaft and tap it on with a brass hammer. If you have access to a drill press, you could use that in place of a bearing press again supporting the back end of the shaft. I doubt you've done much, if any, damage. Check for any fore and aft movement in the armature and correct it if there is.
Quote:
See answer in #2.

Hope this helps!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 16, 2002, 12:45 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Apr 2002
132 Posts
Thanks Mark! I will try your suggestions!
Sanman is offline Find More Posts by Sanman
Old Apr 16, 2002, 01:23 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Re: Could really use some motor help - made mistakes :(

A Dremel tool. If you live in the USA, you can buy a cheap Dremel knockoff in WalMart for $20. You will also need a cutoff wheel and mandrel. A hacksaw will work in a pinch.

Your problem is that you weren't supporting the shaft of the motor when you started tapping on it with a hammer. The motor case is not designed to handle such stress.

Here's how I do it:
1. Put the pinion gear down on a block of wood.
2. Line up the motor shaft with the hole in the pinion gear.
3. Using a nail set (or any suitable steel punch/pin) and a small hammer, tap on the short nub of shaft that extends from the rear of the motor, and drive the motor shaft into the pinion.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Apr 16, 2002, 11:59 PM
suffering gravity surge
Westminster, CO
Joined Oct 2001
152 Posts
If you have to cut the shaft, you should sand or file a small chamfer on it so that it will center properly -- makes it a lot easier to press fit the pinion.

Joe
joey221 is offline Find More Posts by joey221