HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2005, 09:26 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Cool
Sailplane Competition - June 25, 26 - Long Island, NY

Eastern Soaring League Event at Stilwell Field in Syosset, NY - June 25 and 26th.

Hey all you sailplane pilots, think your good? Wanna find out?

Hey all you new sailplane pilots, want to see some really good flyers?

If you are in the Long Island, NY area, there will be an Eastern Soaring League sponsored thermal duration sailplane. The contest is hosted by the Long Island Silent flyers and is flown at the LISF field at Stillwell Woods, Syosset, Long Island, NY. June 25 and 26.

The event is a thermal duration event where a task is declared and all work to that task. This is for unpowered, pure sailplanes. No electric gliders please.

FORMAT

The contest director will declare a task, say 7 minutes.
Planes launch in groups of four
You hunt for lift
You fly for 7 minutes then land at exactly 7 minutes
Seconds over or under are point deductions
Bonus points are awarded for landing accuracy.]

Scoring is man on man - which means the pilots in each launch group are scored against each other since they are flying in the "same air".

Note: Understanding the details of man on man are not required. Scoring is handled by computer, but for those who know the man on man format, this is the fairest way to score such a contest.

QUALIFICATIONS

You must be an AMA member

You must register with the ESL ( no fee to register )
www.flyesl.com

Then, from the home page, click on LISF 1 on the quick calendar to register for the event

You must be able to fly and land your plane in a safe manner, under control, with other planes around you. There can be as many as 12 planes in the air, launching or landing at one time. If you can not manage you plane, safely, in this environment, you can still come and watch.

All planes are winch launched.

Note: If you can not launch your own plane on the contest winches, you can bring someone to launch for you, or ask to have someone launch it for you. I had people launch for me at my first ESL event.

Two classes - sportsman and expert

One class of plane - unlimited - Fly what you have
We get 2M balsa planes ( Spirits, Gentle Ladies, Sig Risers ) through 3.5 meter molded Kevlar and glass ships. All are welcome.

Usually experts time for sportsman, which gives the sportsman the benefit of expert advice during their flights. (This is like having Tiger Woods Caddy for you and advising you.)

Sportsman time for the experts so the sportsman get the benefit of watching the masters at work. (Would you caddy for Tiger, just to watch him play?)

This is a great group of people who do this because they love it!

Plaques will be awarded for first, second and third. No money prizes. This is for the joy of it!

A "free" lunch is served each day .... for a nominal fee.

Pilot's meeting is around 9 am and last launch is usually no later than 3 pm depending on conditions.

To register, visit www.flyesl.com - Register at the site. Then register for the event under the calendar button on the home page.

One pilot per frequency so a max of 50 pilots.

$36 fee gets you into the contest for one or both days.

Spectators are free!

Photos from a previous ESL event:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...MWbLbA&notag=1

This is a map of the field location - South Woods Road, Syosset NY 11791
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...bmit=Get%20Map

Picture of the flying field:
http://www.lisf.org/Pictures/29070035.jpg

Come to watch and learn
Come to time and learn
Come to fly and learn
Come to fly and win!!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 04, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2005, 11:24 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Great, See ya there.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Jun 05, 2005, 05:43 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Great! I was out practicing my landings today. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. Just stand by the tape and you will be safe when I am landing.
Old Jun 08, 2005, 07:33 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,123 Posts
Hey Ed, what about us LMR guys??!!
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Jun 08, 2005, 04:48 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
We have a monthly Long Island Silent Flyers LMR club contest for the club members, but we do not participate in any regional contests of this type. This is more of a fun fly event then a serious competition.

The June event is a serious competition which we host as part of the Eastern Soaring League, but, to the best of my knowledge, ESL does not sponsor LMR events.

If you have an organization that sponsors a league/competition around this kind of flying I would love to know about it.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 09:43 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
Registrations are proceeding nicely. We have about 20 slots left.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:44 PM
slope-a-holic
Oak Park, CA
Joined Mar 2005
577 Posts
Where on Long Island is this comp gonna be held??Is it anywhere near Commac???I have grand parents that live there and there is a small chance we are gonna come visit, there might be a small window of time for which i could i could come out and show all you East Coast guys how its DoneJust kidding....im only 15(the youngest F3F racer on the WEST COAST and i know nothing about thermalling) would be a cool learning exp.

1/100 chance ill be there with an Acacia F3F modded for winch launch

@lex Neigher
aneigher24 is offline Find More Posts by aneigher24
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
aneigher24,

We are not far from your Grand Parents. 20 mintues maybe?

Come on down. Ask for Ed Anderson ( me ). I will be very busy but we can put you to work timing. You will learn a lot about TD flying by timing for the experts. But I warn you this is NOTHING like slope soaring. This is a whole different kind of skill.

This is not about speed, this is about being a hunter, seeing what can not be seen and being touched by that which can not be touched. With slope, once you understand how it works, you know when you toss that plane that lift is there.

But with TD, you never know if there will be lift. You can launch and hunt on 10 flights and find nothing of significance. Down in 3 minutes. But when you find it, it lifts you up like a hand from heaven and it is wonderful. But speed freaks need not apply. You have to be into the wonder and magic of unpowered flight .... and you must be into the hunt! It is all about the hunt!

Bring a stop watch.

If you bring a plane with a hook, and can hang around till after the end of day pilots meeting, we can toss your plane up on the winch. No gurantee it survivies, but we launch lots of light weight balsa planes off the winch.

If you are a hot slope pilot, I am sure yours has strong wings and should do fine! Bring your AMA card or you will not be allowed to fly.

I put a hook on my Zagi. I have one slope site where you have to hi-start over a grove of trees to get to the slope lift.
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 10, 2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:29 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,574 Posts
This should be a great event. We have 34 pilots registered. Some very big names.

www.flyesl.com