HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:32 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
Carring on from what Jim has said I really regret not doing more with the covering, could not get all the wrinkles out but in hyndsight I was thinking if I sprayed the whole fuse and wing with clear plastic spray that may have helped with stopping stripe dammage?
nitroshark is offline Find More Posts by nitroshark
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Sweet. It's on a brown truck to my door.

As far as the covering, a trick I have used many times with sucess is using clear fingernail polish.

Sounds wierd I know, but go grab your wifes clear nail polish and brush it on to seal the edges. Fuelproof, easy, and effective. Best to do it on a new model, or use alcohol to thouroughly degrease the surface.

You may get some ribbing at the field for having a metrosexual airplane, but that's something I can live with.
latebraker is offline Find More Posts by latebraker
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
KWJ
Ken
Reedsburg, Wi.
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
Great idea with the nail polish. I was always wondering if you could put something over pin stripes. I was thinking of trying fuel dope but did'nt know what it would do to the covering, or maybe clear coat if you could buy a small can. Going to try the nail polish. What do you guys think of the OS 32SX. Kind of costly but about 50% percent more power then the 25.
Ken
KWJ is offline Find More Posts by KWJ
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:18 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
Personaly I wouldnt consider anything bigger than the 25 unless you put bigger fuel tanks in perhaps one in the middle somehow? two 25s have heaps of power and an ok run time a 32 would reduce your flight time to maby 5 minutes also think about prop size? what does a 32 take? it will be getting two close to the ground imo also would the airframe handle the extra power?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
KWJ
Ken
Reedsburg, Wi.
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
All good questions. The 32 runs a 10x6 or 10x7. That should still leave more then an inch clearance to fuse and from the pictures looks like there would still be good clearance to ground. Jim who wrote the review said he heard of guys running 40's and the plane and that the air frame was designed to handle them. Fuel is the question. My 75 burns 1 oz per min. at full the 55 .75 oz the 46 .62 the 32 I am guessing .5 oz per min. That would be a 6 min flight and 2 min reserve at full.

I am only thinking a little larger because of the grass field I fly off of and the wind we get here. The extra power could be helpful to get back to field if you have an engine out down wind.

I am going to keep looking and reading though because the is a winter project so I have plenty of time to change my mind a dozen times.
Ken
Old Sep 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
KWJ
Ken
Reedsburg, Wi.
Joined Sep 2007
3 Posts
Does anyone know what the covering is on the Twinstar. I set an e-mail to Tower and asked them. They said they had no information on it all the knew was it is a factory iron on. Find that hard to believe but that is what they said. So what does a guy use for repairs or colors if he needs to.
Ken
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for your excellent review. Your review was the basis for my choice of the Twinstar as an electric conversion project. I used two gas powered Twinstars in the review for flight comparisons with the electric version. A fellow club member had a 25 powered verison and I bought a used 40 LA powered version. The gas powered versions were so much fun to fly that the small fuel tanks really became an issue. I always ran out of flight time before I ran out of flight plan.

Here is a link to my original article:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489099

And here is the update:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559425

Thanks again for getting me started with the Twinstar. It's still one of my all time favorite planes.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:25 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed it and your article is very interesting as well. I agree the one failing of this great model was the limited flight time. An electric conversion is a great fix! Another mod I saw was a builder formed his own nacelle covers that were quite a bit bigger than the stock ones. It made it look like a turbo prop plane and provided room for extra large tanks.

Blue Skies!

Jim
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1 Posts
Hobbico Twinstar converted to taildragger

I just ordered a Hobbico twinstar, I am thinking to make it taildragger while I fly in a not very smooth grass field and nose wheels always get bended after few flights and cause lots of trouble.
I will use Dubro 789 Super Strength Landing Gear and dubro semiscale tail wheel, with pull-pull setup to control tail wheel.
Let me know if this is a good idea and if you have any suggestion.
The engines are two new GMS 32.

Thanks
bavl is offline Find More Posts by bavl
Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:14 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Thanks for the great review... I just ordered one, and according to the UPS tracking, it will be waiting for me when I get home on Jan. 3rd. Wife and I are in Alabama visiting our daughter for a few days... Up home (Indiana) it's been too nasty to fly, but I just put snow skies on one model and hope to fly pretty soon weather permitting... Can't wait to try out the twin... I'm using .40's on it... Thanks again for a great review... Dave
IronKnees is offline Find More Posts by IronKnees
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
twin 40s? not going to be a long flight time with thoose tanks..... why so big? it was designed for twin .25s
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:16 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Simple... That's what I have on hand... I know the flight times will be short, but with my spinal cord injury, I tire quickly and nearly all my flights are short...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
ok thats going to make it one very fast plane, just when you build it BEFORE you fly it look at methods of protecting the covering and pinstriping, mine is still doing a slow peel and now looks quite shabby perhaps clear plastic spray?
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:27 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I gave mine a good ironing with a sock and sealed the edges around the engine areas with epoxy. So far it's held up pretty well. I always keep it wiped off really well too.

Wow, twin 40's! They will definitely fit and you're going to have a missile on your hands. I would have enjoyed the 40's on take off for a little extra thrust, but after it was up to speed the twin 25's were plenty fast. If you firewalled the go stick and left it there that got me about 4.5 - 5 minutes with the 25's. I come from an electric background so I worked the throttle the whole flight and got around 6 minutes. 40's on those little tanks are going to be in the 2 - 3 minute range I'd guess. You'll probably need a timer to avoid a lot of dead stick landings.

Several people have emailed me about putting in larger tanks. I think it's doable, but will require some modifications of some sort. One gentleman molded his own ABS cowls that stood twice as high as stock so he could fit twice as big tanks for his 40's. He showed me a picture and it looked like a turbo prop job. It actually added some scale realism and didn't look bad at all.

Blue skies,

Jim
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Jan 05, 2008, 04:45 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
I'm standing back and scratching my bald head thinking about how I could add some fuel... One thought is to mold a fuel cell that would fit under the plastic nacelle cover... Nothing chiseled in stone yet though on that...

P.S. Just got home from Alabama and took my first ride on the MD-88... NICE! I flew the DC-9's but lost my medical before I "gragiated" up to the new MD-80's when they came on line.