SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2007, 11:29 PM
Suspended Account
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
Jim do you find it goes through glow plugs?
NZ_Nitro is offline Find More Posts by NZ_Nitro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:23 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Sorry, been on vacation. To answer your questions, yes I tached the engines and tried to get them as close as possible in RPM. One was always 100 - 200 different, never could get them exactly the same. I'm not sure what resonance problem your adviser is referring to. I've never heard of it. As for tilting the cylinder heads, that would be hard to do on this model. The mounts and thrust lines are set at the factory. Finally, I only had to change one glow plug and I think it was defective from the beginning. After that, no problems.
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Jun 28, 2007, 06:03 PM
Arc, spark and smoke...
upstate NY; Lake George region
Joined Mar 2006
615 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the nice review. It helped make my decision to buy one last summer.

I powered mine with a pair of Super Tigre .34 Heli engines. Needless to say, it goes like stink! I have a bunch of flights on it. This weekend, the firewall came unglued in my left engine nacelle. Due to the clever interlocking design of the parts, it caused no problem or damage. I just had to break out the epoxy when I got home. And, even though I spent a LOT of time with the covering iron when I built the model, my trim stripes and other parts of the covering are coming off or loosening.

Other than that, my TwinStar is doing well and I'm about to order another one to mess around with. I intend to fit another pair of 4 oz. fuel tanks in the fuselage to stretch my flying time (it's very short with the ST .34s), and possibly build it as a tri-motor.

This model is a whole lot of fun for a little bit of money!

Good flying,
desmobob
desmobob is offline Find More Posts by desmobob
Old Jun 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I agree it's got a very high cool and fun factor for low $$$. Wow, mine went pretty good on .25's so I can only imagine what a missile it was with .34 heli engines! Hmmmm.... a trimotor? That sounds really interesting. If you do it, be sure and post some pictures.

Blue skies!
Old Jul 03, 2007, 07:49 AM
New Orleans, LA
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
Great thread & site!

I am first time poster and one of your newest RCgroup members! I did a search on Twinstar and found your fabulously detailed review. Great work, Jim! I actually owned and ran the first incarnation of this great ARF back a few years ago and it was interesting & fun. I could not ascertain what specifically changed with this Twinstar revision, but I do recall that I almost remember the 1st edition going out of production for some reason or another.

On my first Twinstar, I ran OS .40 LA engines I believe back in the day. From what I recall, it did perform well, but I remember very small tanks and a uncanny propensity for wanting to run on a single engine. --- It sure made for fun times usually at the most uncanny moments....like when we had high crosswinds or sudden changes in the weather!

So glad to see the Twinstar back! I have to go get one on order just for kicks!

All the best,
Saint
saintroad is offline Find More Posts by saintroad
Old Jul 03, 2007, 08:20 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I think the finished plane is very similar to the original. The main changes were in how much prefabrication is done for you. The nose cone was improved for faster assembly and the covering was changed to a higher quality material to name a couple. All in all the Twinstar was quick and easy to build and a lot of fun to fly. And yes, the tanks were really small. The two .25's did OK, but anything bigger and your flights will be pretty short.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 06, 2007, 01:57 AM
Suspended Account
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2005
2,432 Posts
I had my pin striping coming off too, very anoying actually
NZ_Nitro is offline Find More Posts by NZ_Nitro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2007, 02:59 AM
Joined Jul 2007
1 Posts
Thanks for the article. I got a Twinstar a couple weeks ago. The kit was missing the motor mounts but everything else seemed to be there. I bought 2 new mounts as I was anxious to get it going. In the meantime, Hobbyco sent me 2 more. I was originally going to put my two LA .40s in, but one is blue and one is silver and that bugged me. I had a blue LA .46, so I decided more is better and I bought another one, as well as blue mufflers. It looks pretty cool & sounds even cooler

I installed 2 Sullivan 6oz flex tanks in the fuse, just forward of the servo tray. They fit perfect, but take up all the space there so I ended up putting the reciever & battery between the 2 foreward bulkheads. The plane is nose heavy and the CG is at 2.5". I prefer nose heavy planes though, and it handles great. It lands pretty hot, but the gear are really nice heavy duty ones, so everything just comes together. Dry weight is 6 & 1/4 pounds. The engines run over 15 minutes, wide open, with the 20oz total fuel

It's really a fun plane to fly, and does recover good if 1 engine dies.

Oh..... the covering was the absolute worst I have seen. I spent over an hour ironing & shrinking & cussing, but it looks presentable now. It's really a shame to have such a pretty color scheme, only to ruin it with SEVERE wrinkles.

I run 9x7 APC props & have the muffler baffles removed. It sounds really tough & raspy that way. I'd guess that the top speed is probably near 100mph. Nothing spectacular but fast enough to be fun .... and those blue mufflers really steal the show... of course they ought to, they cost half as much as the plane
gu11b1rd is offline Find More Posts by gu11b1rd
Last edited by gu11b1rd; Jul 14, 2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 03:46 PM
New Orleans, LA
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
Wow. gullbird...... Twin .46s???? I thought it was only spec'd for twin .25 (2-stroke) and up to .40 (4-stroke) ---- Do you have any pics of your Twinstar bird? I have heard lots of people complain about the fit and finish especially with the covering. I am assuming it is a lack of a QC in the chinese sweat shop where Hobbico's OEM maker does the work? Thanks for sharing, look forward to more insight on your twin.

Thanks
saintroad is offline Find More Posts by saintroad
Old Jul 17, 2007, 08:09 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Yep, unfortunately the covering required some work on mine and that trend seems to be continuing even a over a year later. Almost every ARF I've built required at least some attention to the covering. The Twinstar's covering did require more attention than most, but looked great when done.

Twin .46's??? Wow, I imagine it will do 100 mph easy. The fuse is very roomy, so it makes sense now that you described it to put extra fuel tanks in there. You've got to do something as the flights are quite short when using anything but the .25's.

Jim
Old Jul 28, 2007, 09:41 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Jul 2007
800 Posts
yeah covering was rubbish my pinstrips are all comming off however had a motor die the other day and it was very very easy to fly on one just keep the speed up and land hot, actually i am used to a different type of plane where you "shut the tap" and let it coast in to a landing with the twinstar you need to keep the power on slightly until you are down or you will find the nose drops and you will bend the nosewheel it seems when you hit ground effect
nitroshark is offline Find More Posts by nitroshark
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Hi all. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Twinstar, and have a few questions I thought about.

First, what size spinner(s) is recommended for the kit? Second, what is the average run time you guys are getting on a pair of .25's?

The Twinstar looks like an easy going, no hassel, uncomplicated, good flying multi-engine plane. You don't see these at the field everyday, and I'm looking forward to it!
latebraker is offline Find More Posts by latebraker
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:59 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Hi Davin,

You can use pretty much any size spinners that look good to you. The kit comes with spinners, but mine disintegrated after a couple of flights. Hopefully they have improved since then. If not, I went with some smaller ones that I had on hand (1 3/4") and they worked and looked fine.

With two O.S. .25 LA's on board for power the Twinstar would fly for about 9 minutes with some throttle management. If you use the T-stick like a switch, then plan on a flame out between 6-7 minutes. My one minor complaint about the TwinStar were the small gas tanks. I've heard of people putting .40's on the plane and it's designed to handle them. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun with the bigger engines. However the run time would be like 4-5 minutes using the stock gas tanks which is unacceptable. Since you're going to use .25's, you should be fine.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 01:31 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thanks. Your review was great and it helped make my decision to buy one. I can't tell by the photos, but are the wheels foam, or rubber? Also, is there any fuelproofing done to the engine compartments? It's these little details that I generally like to find out ahead of time so that I can gather all the materials prior to starting the build.

Glad you showed the engine out flight in your video as well.

Cheers!
latebraker is offline Find More Posts by latebraker
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I don't remember what the exact composition of the wheels are, but they have performed just fine and shouldn't need replacing. The engine areas are fuel proofed nicely, no problems there. However I would seal the edges of the covering some how around the engine area. I didn't and the covering was peeling off after just a few flights.