Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 02, 2005, 02:35 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
WalMart Foam Board 30" x 20" - Delta Wing Plans?

Hello everyone,

I was in WalMart yesterday & picked up a sheet of this stuff for $2.88 to see what I could make out of it. Hasn't someone posted plans for a delta wing made outta this stuff - like a 30 minute build? (who me, lazy?)

Compared to FF, it seems like it's sort of heavy with the paper on it but really strong, making it unique for certain projects. I always have a lot of FF on hand for regular construction, but I was just wondering what could be made out of this stuff "as is", without removing the paper.

Thanks.

Happy buildin' & flyin',

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2005, 02:42 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man
Hello everyone,

I was in WalMart yesterday & picked up a sheet of this stuff for $2.88 to see what I could make out of it. Hasn't someone posted plans for a delta wing made outta this stuff - like a 30 minute build? (who me, lazy?)

Compared to FF, it seems like it's sort of heavy with the paper on it but really strong, making it unique for certain projects. I always have a lot of FF on hand for regular construction, but I was just wondering what could be made out of this stuff "as is", without removing the paper.

Thanks.

Happy buildin' & flyin',

Buzz
Do you mean a real RC one or a toy one? I not noticed that stuff in Wal-Mart how think or thin is it? I have been wanting delta plans to build one outof blue foam so maybe someone on here will give us some plans for one.Maybe?
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Jun 02, 2005, 02:52 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean a real RC one or a toy one? I not noticed that stuff in Wal-Mart how think or thin is it? I have been wanting delta plans to build one outof blue foam so maybe someone on here will give us some plans for one.Maybe?
I bought a sheet of Elmer's Foam Board that measures 30" x 20" x 3/16" (3/16" = ~5mm). I'd like to make a delta wing out of one single sheet. I have a variety of motors & batteries & will prolly use a mid-wing pusher mount for the motor (to help balance with a 1050 3 cell lipo).

I already have plans for a 42 inch delta that flew great but it seems like this stuff is just too heavy for a 30 inch delta wing. I'll be more than happy to scale down the 42" delta I built - the plans for that are posted around here . . . prolly in the Flying Wings forum.
Old Jun 02, 2005, 05:04 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
BM...I guess what you have is story board. Comes in different colors but usually white is cheaper than $2.99, it's usually about $1.99 for white especially at craft stores. Most guys depaper it by soaking in the tub and peeling it off. I have been using it for about a year and was just thinking of switching to FFF.

It make s a good model once you take the paper off...

I assume that's what you have
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jun 02, 2005, 07:51 PM
Auburn Ga.
Joined Feb 2004
2,068 Posts
If you have a dollar store close by they get $.99 for it.
Milton
Milton is offline Find More Posts by Milton
Old Jun 02, 2005, 08:16 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
Cut yourself a delta shape. Stick a couple mini servos on for elevons. A kickin' motor and you are good to go. It's gonna be heavy, so make sure you got the power to spare.

If all else fails an os46 should get it up for ya.

Foamboard is decent with the paper off, almost any ff or depron design works great. Paper on is gonna take a few more watts to keep it movin. Something along the lines of the Mugi (coroplast) shape should work.

Have a blast,

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Jun 02, 2005, 08:38 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Foamcore (foamboard, sturdyboard, etc) is really too heavy with the paper on. With it off, it's comparable to Depron but tends to be a bit softer; it works best structured, not so well for flat-wing profile designs.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:18 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,326 Posts
Im also working on a plane useing this material. You can easily peel the paper off. you can also leave like strips of the paper in some parts to keep sertine parts strong, like the ridge of a wing for example. the plane im working on is going to have a balsa/foam skeliton to help with the strength of the wings and such. Might also give it a coating of fiberglass resin for extra strength in a few areas. I cant wait to see how your plane turns out.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:31 PM
Palatka, FL
Joined Jun 2002
130 Posts
Jet Street Fighter

I built this about 2 years ago, and it was the most successful scratch-built I've seen before or since. It flew perfectly first flight, so I went through the evolution from IPS-A / Nicad to LensRC / LiPoly. This bird will grow with your capabilities and desires.

http://www.acesim.com/rc/jsf/jsf.html
kesmith is offline Find More Posts by kesmith
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:59 PM
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
Here's the best use for it My .02 worth

The Jabear's simmlp Wing, for the money and the fun that can be had you just can't go wrong. I love it and fly it at the time, even made plans for a Delta tipe Simple Wing like it just need to get the time to build and get the C.G. down if you would like to try it here you go..

Hers's the first and
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281606
second Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=j250

The Video is really cool here's that's that link:
http://www.genebond.rchomepage.com/...mple%20Wing.wmv

Also some photo's of my Simple Wing its a blast to fly, Cheap to build. You just can't go wrong...give it a try you will really like it

P.S The Delta like "Simple Wing" if any one would like??
hope it helps
Dave
ninjinscreed is offline Find More Posts by ninjinscreed
Old Jun 03, 2005, 08:07 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
Joined Dec 1999
4,210 Posts
Quote:
If all else fails an os46 should get it up for ya.
LOL!

Quote:
If you have a dollar store close by they get $.99 for it.
Thanks for the info - I live in a town of ~9000 people - we have 10 dollar stores. No, we're not in Beverly Hills any more, eh? (ha)

Quote:
Foamcore (foamboard, sturdyboard, etc) is really too heavy with the paper on. With it off, it's comparable to Depron but tends to be a bit softer; it works best structured, not so well for flat-wing profile designs.
That's sort of what I expected all along - thanks Mike. I feel . . . a sort of strength & security knowing that I still have 2/3 block of FFF just two feet behind me. I think I'll start carrying some 2 x 4 sheets with me in the car with a razor and some tape - will have to figure out how to get a 12V hot glue gun. You know, you never know when inspiration will hit you and, I always say it's better to have foam and not need it than to need it and not have any.

Quote:
Might also give it a coating of fiberglass resin for extra strength in a few areas.
Yeah, great suggestion & something just about everyone does after a while. I sometimes use epoxy when this is necessary, but I've found Probond (polyurethane glue) works great to strengthen wings and help them hold their shape.

Quote:
Jet Street Fighter
There's certainly nothing wrong with folks charging money for their plans but that's a turn off for me - I just don't do it. With so many folks here with free plans, why would anyone wanna pay for them? Besides, I enjoy the design phase and maybe 25% of the planes I design and build actually fly very well. You just can't get odds like that when you purchase proven designs - it usually takes all the agony out of the maiden.

Hmmmm . . . that didn't make a lot of sense . . . let's move on quickly, eh?

Quote:
The [edit]Jerbear's simple[/edit] Wing, for the money and the fun that can be had you just can't go wrong. I love it and fly it at the time, even made plans for a Delta tipe Simple Wing like it just need to get the time to build and get the C.G. down if you would like to try it here you go..
Great, great choice - I'll drag out the FFF and build one today. I guess I could use this Elmer's Foam Board (that's what the label indicates) for elevons or maybe target practice?

Thanks everyone - look for my JSW coming soon. I'll make one with twin Speed 280's - might have to scale it up a wee bit.

Happy flyin',

Buzz
Old Jun 03, 2005, 01:14 PM
nut flyer
Joined Nov 2004
198 Posts
12v hot glue gun.

You can take your UPS from your computer. It will supply 110/115 volts to the glue gun for quite a while. I've got an old one that I've removed the battery from, and pigtailed a pair of wires with clips. I use this to run many different things. TV,chargers, etc. Comes in real handy.
john
nut flyer is offline Find More Posts by nut flyer
Old Jun 03, 2005, 01:23 PM
Airdrie, AB Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut flyer
You can take your UPS from your computer. It will supply 110/115 volts to the glue gun for quite a while. I've got an old one that I've removed the battery from, and pigtailed a pair of wires with clips. I use this to run many different things. TV,chargers, etc. Comes in real handy.
john
Now I there's a good idea. Cant' tell you how many of these I've chucked.

Mike
mjws is offline Find More Posts by mjws
Old Jun 03, 2005, 01:36 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
I weighted some foamcore board parts with and w/o the paper on it, and it's 1/2 the weight with the paper removed. It's worth going through the soaking and scrubbing chore if you can't find Depron.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jun 03, 2005, 05:00 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
sturdyboard planes

I have built two planes swith sturdyboard, without the paper on. One is the JSF cutlass version seen in my avatar and recommended above. http://www.acesim.com/rc/jsf/jsf.html

The other is a seaplane, still under construction, of my own design.

To remove the paper you can soak it in a tub, blast it off with a garden hose, or put it in a black garbage bag with water in it and set it outside in the sun to bake. I use the garden hose method.

I used epoxy on the JSF. The seaplane was built entirely with hot glue and covered with solite.

Bill
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal