HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,524 Posts
Discussion
My best fishing trip, ever!

I go to Louisianna once a year to fish with some old friends. I've been doing this for about 15 years. My son-in-law has been going along with me the last few years, he's the best fisherman of our group. We've had some good trips, caught a few fish and had some adventures along the way. We've had to evacuate the coast due to hurricaines more than once, and once even had to drive over a flooded roadway (the only way out) to get out of the Fourchon area. We almost sunk the boat a couple of years ago too. I just returned recently from my latest trip and it was absolutely the best fishing trip of my life. We had nearly perfect weather and caught a ton of speckled trout. We were into them so hot and heavy at times that every cast brought a hit. My friend Tommy has a 35 foot house boat, and a 21 foot bay boat. We motor the houseboat, towing the 21 footer about 18 miles from the landing (takes about 4 hours) and anchor the houseboat about a mile from the inside of Last Island. We then fish from the 21 footer using the houseboat as a base camp. We spent 4 days and nights out there. We cooked fresh fish and shrimp on the grill on the upper deck the first night, steaks one night and grilled fish another night. We're about 5 minutes from the fishing vs. about a 50 minute run from Tommys house in Lower Dulac using the 21 footer. Any salt water fishermen out there will understand how much joy I got from this trip.
Here's a couple of pictures. One is of the houseboat against the evening sky, you can see Last Island in the lower left of the picture. Another picture is of my son-in-law and me with a few representive fish. I just had to share my excitement with you all. Dave Chewning Sr.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Last edited by davecee; Apr 26, 2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old May 31, 2005, 08:03 PM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Awesome. Sounds like a dream trip to me. I'd have to have some cigars and a cold one or two as well. Got a baby due in the next couple of weeks so no adventures for a while. Post more pics so I can live vicariously through you.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jun 01, 2005, 06:59 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
847 Posts
Do you have another daughter? Just kidding, it sounds like a great trip. I like the idea of having a base camp and the house boat is the way go.

I try to take my Dad fishing every year. Our last trip was to the Ten Thousand Islands, (SW Florida) and we had a blast. Mostly redfish and snook.

I also do a tarpon trip each year with my brother-in-law. We just went last Wednesday and I boated a smaller tarpon (about 130-140lb). The sharks got all the other ones we hooked.

Next month will be my bonefish trip, can't wait. Me the wife and kids (5 yrs and 1.5 yrs) are all going. Mostly just to relax, but I'll sneak in at least one day of fishing. That's kind of our family rule. If we go on vacation it needs to be somewhere I can fish at least one day.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:18 AM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Sweet:P
While in big river CA I cought 3 4lb cats on bologny. We stood on the dock and it was 12 midnight. All you could see was the blury shadow of the fish till it was out of the water. I have the photo at home somewhere maybe I can dig it up and scan it in.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007